No announcement yet.

What We Know So Far: Deviant the Renegades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's always cool to hear something new on this game. I was surprised at how potent the healing got in the sample variation, but it's a good surprise. Is Scar Power the numerical level of the Scar entangled with a given Variation?

Comment

• I would guess that you are correct concerning the Scar Power term used on the post.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
        Is Scar Power the numerical level of the Scar entangled with a given Variation?
        Actually, no. Every Scar is either Mental, Physical, or Social (some can be two or any of these, but you have to decide which one when you develop the Scar). Every Variation's type matches its entangled Scar's. Scar Power, Scar Finesse, and Scar Resistance refer to the appropriate Power/Finesse/Resistance Attribute of the Scar - Intelligence/Wits/Resolve for Mental, Strength/Dexterity/Stamina for Physical, and Presence/Manipulation/Composure for Social. Because exactly which Attribute a Variation might call upon is based on the entangled Scar, Scar Power will mean Strength if tied to a Physical Scar, Intelligence if entangled with a Mental Scar, or Presence if linked to a Social Scar.

For example, Glitch is a Mental Scar that causes you to hallucinate or have mental hiccups, and its effects worsen when you spend Willpower (as well as at higher Magnitude). Any Variations entangled with it is a Mental Variation. Whenever the entangled Variation invokes "Scar Power," it means "Intelligence," Wits for Scar Finesse, and Resolve for Scar Resistance. On the other hand, if the Scar were Fragility (a Physical Scar), it would instead use Strength for Scar Power, Dexterity for Scar Finesse, and Stamina for Scar Resistance.

Scar Power/Finesse/Resistance are used as variables in Variation/Scar calculations or are included in relevant dice pools. In broad terms, Scar Power determines the raw potency of a Variation and is often used for things like calculating the maximum Size of objects you can lift with Telekinesis or the damage bonus of your Lash. Scar Finesse measures your degree of control over the Variation and most frequently comes into play when you need to activate or target it. Scar Resistance allows you to mitigate the effects of the Scar, such as to prevent an Involuntary Scar from activating at an inopportune moment or losing control over your body to an Alternate Persona.

Now, not every Variation/Scar combination will make use of all three Attributes. Some Variations don't use Scar Power (you'll note Rapid Healing doesn't except at Magnitude 5). Most Scars don't allow Scar Resistance rolls to reduce their effects, although some of them do. Even Scar Finesse, which is vital to Controlled, Involuntary, and some Persistent Variations, doesn't come into play for most Persistent Variations (particularly ones with the Perpetual keyword).

This structure reinforces the idea that the Divergence robs the Remade of something by which they once defined themselves. For example, those with strong Mental Attributes (which incentivize players to assign Mental Scars to them to get the best possible Scar Power/Finesse/Resistance traits) are the ones who labor under curses that reduce the effectiveness of their mental faculties - whether it's a phobia, amnesia, or a Willpower cost for activating their Variation. Picking Scars attached to your tertiary Attributes, on the other hand, only reinforces your existing shortcomings (while also reducing your Variations' mechanical effectiveness). The game's protagonists are indeed Broken.

It's also slightly harder to "dump stat" within any Attribute category. Resistance is the only one you can easily get away with (by choosing Scars that don't use it, since they're less common than Variations that don't use Power or Finesse), and CofD rules do not naturally incentivize that!

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• That is a really clever way to reinforce fluff with crunch, of which I am always a fan. I'm a little confused on Persistent vs Perpetual. Could you give an example of something that would be Persistent without being Perpetual, or at least explain why Perpetual is its own keyword when Persistent is already a Variation/Scar type?

Comment

That is a really clever way to reinforce fluff with crunch, of which I am always a fan. I'm a little confused on Persistent vs Perpetual. Could you give an example of something that would be Persistent without being Perpetual, or at least explain why Perpetual is its own keyword when Persistent is already a Variation/Scar type?
            There are two kinds of Persistent Variations - Perpetual ones and Toggled ones. Persistent essentially just means "I can use this whenever I want," as opposed to Controlled Variations that require an instant action and a roll to activate. Let's take Camouflage. Toggled Camouflage means you can turn invisible whenever you want and without a roll, but you're not always invisible. Perpetual Camouflage means you're always invisible and can't make yourself visible except with a Variation or Adaptation that temporarily suppresses the entire Scar that you've entangled with Camouflage. Some Persistent Variations that make no sense unless "always on" are Perpetual by default (this is the case with Rapid Healing). If you're always gigantic or glowing or have huge fangs (Overt Variations), however, that's a step worse for you than merely being capable of becoming/having those things, so you get a small discount on those Variations if you make them Perpetual. On the other hand, being continually invisible, well, it has its ups and downs, so the mechanic that lets you make Camouflage a Perpetual Variation still works, but it doesn't change the Magnitude "cost" of the Variation. Not all Persistent Variations can be made Perpetual, but most can.

Perpetual Variations also fall into the "permanent supernatural effect" category on ye olde Clash of Wills chart, so a Perpetual Variation grants you a +5 bonus on Clash of Wills rolls involving it. You are invisible by nature, so even a powerful sorcerer (or other supernatural creature) is going to have a hard time making you visible to the naked eye. Toggled Variations don't enjoy this bonus, but they have the significant advantage of not attracting the constant attention of everyone you encounter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
              Perpetual Camouflage means you're always invisible and can't make yourself visible except with a Variation or Adaptation that temporarily suppresses the entire Scar that you've entangled with Camouflage.
              Jack Griffin. I found you.

Just missing Hyde / Dr. Henry Jekyll. Chinese mummies (who came out of conspiracy by Taoist Alchemists to give eternal life) - I kind of know how to make these characters with everything that has been revealed.

Eveline (RE7) and Dorian Gray (who have no idea how to make them).

Comment

• Do Remade add Scar Resistance or Scar Power to Clash of Wills?

Comment

• I would just like you thank you Eric for that post on clades. it did a really good job of explaining how they work and you even zeroed in on mutants since everyone was interested in them

Comment

Do Remade add Scar Resistance or Scar Power to Clash of Wills?
                    I’m expecting Deviants’ CoW pool to be Acclimation + Variation Rating since that’s the standard for dot-rated powers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post

I’m expecting Deviants’ CoW pool to be Acclimation + Variation Rating since that’s the standard for dot-rated powers.
                      Variations may have Magnitudes but they don't necessarily go from 1 to 5, though I suppose that could also show the power disparity between Deviants and other splats.

Comment

• As I apply playtester feedback to the current draft, I'm considering potential topics for another blog entry. Is there anything folks are itching to see? Another Origin or Clade? Some Universal Variations? A few Scars? Something else entirely?

Comment

• I would love to see some Scars and more Variations. I think I remember from one of the interviews that you said you took command of the whole Variations chapter, so if you could talk a bit about your design philosophy with those when you give examples that would be really cool. I'm also really curious about how conspiracy creation works, and how conspiracies take action in game. Maybe something about your current playtest group would make for a good blog entry? Really, though, I'm interested to see anything you are willing to show off. I've been looking forward to this game for a long time so it's nice to see it gaining steam.

Oh right, and Forms! We know a little bit about some of them from this thread, but I don't think I've seen anything about Self-Made and Transmissible besides the name, so I'm curious about those ones, too, though for people who haven't read through the thread it might be good just to introduce them as a concept.
                          Last edited by Minty; 06-16-2019, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• variations and scars would be my top choices. Would to see more of what the Remade are capable of . If you go Origin, I'd vote for the Genotypal. If you go Clade, I'd vote for Coactive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
                              As I apply playtester feedback to the current draft, I'm considering potential topics for another blog entry. Is there anything folks are itching to see? Another Origin or Clade? Some Universal Variations? A few Scars? Something else entirely?
                              Could we have sort of like a breakdown of a single, sample character? This would kinda let us see more about Clades, Origins, Variations, and Scars, and also maybe kinda their relationship to their Conspiracy. It wouldn't be a character creation walkthrough, just a breakdown of one already made up.

Otherwise I'm kinda interested in how the Forms work, especially self-made.

Comment

• I'd be most interested in Variations, as the freedom they allow while still keeping the power level grounded seems like quite the feat of design.

Comment

Working...
                                X