• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
    Standard Deviations
    I see what you did there. XD

Comment

• Eric reveals a few Universal Variations.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• All of these are super cool and make me wonder just what kinds of Variations will end up being Clade-specific. I'm also very pleased that the "be a human flashlight" and "be really flexible" Variations can both be heavy hitters like the "throw dump trucks at people" Variation. What determines the range of Telekinesis?
        Last edited by Minty; 08-27-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• Eric Zawadzki
          If it isn't asking too much, could you spoil the Shadow Selves variation as well?
          i'm just really curious about it

Comment

• Originally posted by Minty View Post
            What determines the range of Telekinesis?
            The Directed keyword comes with a set of rules that apply to all Directed Variations and effects (except where noted, such as Bioluminescence not suffering range penalties). Targeting someone with a Directed effect requires an instant action, for example, and the range is 10/20/40.

Originally posted by Acopiltaczet View Post
            If it isn't asking too much, could you spoil the Shadow Selves variation as well? I'm just really curious about it
            And I'm eager to share all the Variations! But we must both be patient. The Kickstarter will be here before you know it!

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
              The Directed keyword comes with a set of rules that apply to all Directed Variations and effects (except where noted, such as Bioluminescence not suffering range penalties). Targeting someone with a Directed effect requires an instant action, for example, and the range is 10/20/40.
              Makes sense, thanks for responding!

Comment

• So Scars have Attributes of their own (Power, Finesse and, presumably, Resistance)? That's interesting. Some of them seem to be connected to regular Attributes in some way as well, like the example Cephalist with Telekinesis.

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                  So Scars have Attributes of their own (Power, Finesse and, presumably, Resistance)? That's interesting. Some of them seem to be connected to regular Attributes in some way as well, like the example Cephalist with Telekinesis.
                  This was covered earlier:

Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
                  Every Scar is either Mental, Physical, or Social (some can be two or any of these, but you have to decide which one when you develop the Scar). Every Variation's type matches its entangled Scar's. Scar Power, Scar Finesse, and Scar Resistance refer to the appropriate Power/Finesse/Resistance Attribute of the Scar - Intelligence/Wits/Resolve for Mental, Strength/Dexterity/Stamina for Physical, and Presence/Manipulation/Composure for Social. Because exactly which Attribute a Variation might call upon is based on the entangled Scar, Scar Power will mean Strength if tied to a Physical Scar, Intelligence if entangled with a Mental Scar, or Presence if linked to a Social Scar.

For example, Glitch is a Mental Scar that causes you to hallucinate or have mental hiccups, and its effects worsen when you spend Willpower (as well as at higher Magnitude). Any Variations entangled with it is a Mental Variation. Whenever the entangled Variation invokes "Scar Power," it means "Intelligence," Wits for Scar Finesse, and Resolve for Scar Resistance. On the other hand, if the Scar were Fragility (a Physical Scar), it would instead use Strength for Scar Power, Dexterity for Scar Finesse, and Stamina for Scar Resistance.

Scar Power/Finesse/Resistance are used as variables in Variation/Scar calculations or are included in relevant dice pools. In broad terms, Scar Power determines the raw potency of a Variation and is often used for things like calculating the maximum Size of objects you can lift with Telekinesis or the damage bonus of your Lash. Scar Finesse measures your degree of control over the Variation and most frequently comes into play when you need to activate or target it. Scar Resistance allows you to mitigate the effects of the Scar, such as to prevent an Involuntary Scar from activating at an inopportune moment or losing control over your body to an Alternate Persona.

Now, not every Variation/Scar combination will make use of all three Attributes. Some Variations don't use Scar Power (you'll note Rapid Healing doesn't except at Magnitude 5). Most Scars don't allow Scar Resistance rolls to reduce their effects, although some of them do. Even Scar Finesse, which is vital to Controlled, Involuntary, and some Persistent Variations, doesn't come into play for most Persistent Variations (particularly ones with the Perpetual keyword).

This structure reinforces the idea that the Divergence robs the Remade of something by which they once defined themselves. For example, those with strong Mental Attributes (which incentivize players to assign Mental Scars to them to get the best possible Scar Power/Finesse/Resistance traits) are the ones who labor under curses that reduce the effectiveness of their mental faculties - whether it's a phobia, amnesia, or a Willpower cost for activating their Variation. Picking Scars attached to your tertiary Attributes, on the other hand, only reinforces your existing shortcomings (while also reducing your Variations' mechanical effectiveness). The game's protagonists are indeed Broken.

It's also slightly harder to "dump stat" within any Attribute category. Resistance is the only one you can easily get away with (by choosing Scars that don't use it, since they're less common than Variations that don't use Power or Finesse), and CofD rules do not naturally incentivize that!

Resident Lore-Hound
                  Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• DevotedDawg666: "Hey guys, I think I found the missing Manticores!"

Comment

• Time to become a psicic glow in the dark octopus man

Comment

• Sorry for the double post bu i just want to know Eric Zawadzki are meltdowns dependent on you variations, like a rapid healing deviant would turn into a massive tumor while a luminescent one would go off like an actual small nuke, or is it all a lot more streamlined with only a very select few ways to meltdown?

Comment

• Originally posted by Penguinbowler View Post
                          Sorry for the double post bu i just want to know Eric Zawadzki are meltdowns dependent on you variations, like a rapid healing deviant would turn into a massive tumor while a luminescent one would go off like an actual small nuke, or is it all a lot more streamlined with only a very select few ways to meltdown?
                          Is the double post an accident you're taking advantage of, like there were already two?

Because you can always click edit on a post you made and add it in there.

(Not that I'm one to talk, I chain post way too much.)

Sean K.I.W./Kelly R.A. Steele, Freelance Writer(Feel free to call me Sean, Kelly, Arcane, or Arc)
                          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey
                          Male/neutral pronouns accepted, female pronouns enjoyed.

Comment

• When Telekinesis says a “Scar Finesse roll” is that Attribute + Magnitude + Acclimation or just Attribute?

Comment

• Originally posted by Penguinbowler View Post
                              Sorry for the double post bu i just want to know Eric Zawadzki are meltdowns dependent on you variations, like a rapid healing deviant would turn into a massive tumor while a luminescent one would go off like an actual small nuke, or is it all a lot more streamlined with only a very select few ways to meltdown?
                              The event you describe is largely a narrative one, so we're not going to get into how each Variation manifests when a Deviant has the End Stage Condition. Besides which, given that by the time you reach that point, you've already added 5 Magnitude to various Scars and acquired 5 new ones (some of which are likely to be really awful, due to the way un-entangled Scars work), you probably have multiple Variations you could choose to max out, so it is hard to say exactly which one will get you. Finally, the End Stage Condition kills you at the end of the current chapter, so you're not going to have much time to play with your super-charged Rapid Healing, Bioluminescence, or whatever. So, the core doesn't go into detail about how Variations look while the End Stage Condition is in play. We'll try to spend some words on that in a later supplement (I can understand groups wanting a bit more guidance on the topic), but it's more of a story event than something that needs hard mechanics.

Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                              When Telekinesis says a “Scar Finesse roll” is that Attribute + Magnitude + Acclimation or just Attribute?
                              A Scar Finesse roll is Scar Finesse + Variation Magnitude + Acclimation. If the Variation targets an unwilling character or one who doesn’t know they are being targeted, the intended victim makes a contested Resistance + Supernatural Tolerance roll to avoid its effects. The Resistance Attribute often matches that of the Variation’s Scar Resistance, but the Deviant’s player may choose another, more appropriate Resistance Attribute when purchasing the Variation.

Telekinesis is an explicit exception to the Resistance piece, since attacks with it are resisted by Defense, instead, but this is the general rule.
                              Last edited by Eric Zawadzki; 08-28-2019, 12:29 PM.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• So with the holiday here in the US, I am still hoping for Going live Tuesday. Has any one heard anything

Comment

Working...
                                X