What We Know So Far: Deviant the Renegades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perverseness View Post
    So with the holiday here in the US, I am still hoping for Going live Tuesday. Has any one heard anything
    Nope. We'll probably know more tomorrow.

Freelancer (He/His Pronouns): CofD - Dark Eras 2, Kith and Kin, Mummy 2e, Oak Ash and Thorn; Scion - Mysteries of the World

CofD booklists: Beast I Changeling | Demon | Deviant (TBA) | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire | Werewolf (WIP)

Comment

• And I'm dubious myself it'll be this week; they had part of the KS art in, with the rest contracted. If they'd had it all in, I'd lean to it being this week, but as it is...

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

• We can always hope

Comment

• Oh man,not this week.

Comment

• sadness

Comment

• So, while it looks like the Deviant KS isn't going up this week, instead we now finally have a look at some Scars!

Comment

• I can't entirely eliminate the disappointment of the Kickstarter not starting this week (as I know many here had hoped), but perhaps a sneak peek at a few Scars will take away a little bit of the sting: http://theonyxpath.com/a-collection-...the-renegades/

ETA: Ninja'd.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Now I'm curious: can a single high-magnitude Variation be entangled with multiple lower-magnitude Scars, assuming they all use the same activation method?

Comment

• I'm confused about Insistent and Uncontrollable. Do the Deviants need to activate their Scars first before the ST can activate their variations out of their control, or is activating an Entangled Variation and activating a Scar the same thing?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by The MG View Post
                      Now I'm curious: can a single high-magnitude Variation be entangled with multiple lower-magnitude Scars, assuming they all use the same activation method?
                      No. It only works in the other direction. A single, high-Magnitude Scar can support multiple lower-Magnitude Scars. Heck, we're close enough that I'm willing to spoil this bit, now:

A Scar can entangle a Variation of its Magnitude or lower. A Scar can be entangled with multiple Variations as long as the Scar’s Magnitude is higher than the highest-Magnitude, entangled Variation. The number of Variations entangled with a single Scar cannot exceed 1 + the difference between the Scar’s Magnitude and the highest-rated Variation’s Magnitude.

Mag 1 Scar: 1 Mag 1 Variation only
                      Mag 2 Scar: 1 Mag 2 Variation OR 2 Mag 1 Variations
                      Mag 3: 1 Mag 3 OR 2 Mag 2s OR 3 Mag 1s
                      Mag 4: 1 Mag 4 OR 2 Mag 3s OR 3 Mag 2s OR 4 Mag 1s
                      Mag 5: 1 Mag 5 OR 2 Mag 4s OR 3 Mag 3s OR 4 Mag 2s OR 5 Mag 1s

The Variation Magnitudes above are maximums. A Mag 4 Scar could support a Mag 3 Variation and a Mag 2 Variation, but it couldn't support a Mag 3 Variation and multiple Mag 1 Variations.

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                      I'm confused about Insistent and Uncontrollable. Do the Deviants need to activate their Scars first before the ST can activate their variations out of their control, or is activating an Entangled Variation and activating a Scar the same thing?
                      Uncontrollable is essentially an "upgraded" version of Insistent. With Insistent, the Storyteller can activate one of the Scar's entangled Variations once per chapter, but the Deviant can still activate it normally. With Uncontrollable, the Storyteller is the sole determiner of whether and when the entangled Variation(s) activate, and may attempt it up to once per scene. I agree that the "whether activated by the Deviant or Storyteller" is inaccurate, in this context (likely a copy/paste error or an artifact from a prior draft), so I will cut it before it goes to editing.

Comment

• Is there anything other than the Storyteller stopping you from, for example, putting Rapid Healing 3 on Power Build-Up 3 (Compounded) which functionally comes out to getting three Scar Magnitude from “This Variation’s Overt now?”

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                          Is there anything other than the Storyteller stopping you from, for example, putting Rapid Healing 3 on Power Build-Up 3 (Compounded) which functionally comes out to getting three Scar Magnitude from “This Variation’s Overt now?”
                          I strongly suspect the answer is "Power Build-Up is not a Persistent Scar and therefore is incompatible with Rapid Healing, which has to be a Persistent Variation."

Resident Lore-Hound
                          Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

• Originally posted by Satchel View Post
                            I strongly suspect the answer is "Power Build-Up is not a Persistent Scar and therefore is incompatible with Rapid Healing, which has to be a Persistent Variation."
                            You would be correct. The way Rapid Healing is built (halving healing times and healing all damage of certain types at the end of each scene/chapter), it really doesn't make sense except as a Persistent, Perpetual effect. Healing Touch and Inhuman Digestion work better as "turn it on to heal" or "instant heal" effects and so are compatible with Controlled and Involuntary Scars.

Comment

• Is that what the “Perpetual” keyword on Rapid Healing means?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sith_Happens View Post
                                Is that what the “Perpetual” keyword on Rapid Healing means?
                                I had a guess and then remembered this was addressed earlier:
                                Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post
                                There are two kinds of Persistent Variations - Perpetual ones and Toggled ones. Persistent essentially just means "I can use this whenever I want," as opposed to Controlled Variations that require an instant action and a roll to activate. Let's take Camouflage. Toggled Camouflage means you can turn invisible whenever you want and without a roll, but you're not always invisible. Perpetual Camouflage means you're always invisible and can't make yourself visible except with a Variation or Adaptation that temporarily suppresses the entire Scar that you've entangled with Camouflage. Some Persistent Variations that make no sense unless "always on" are Perpetual by default (this is the case with Rapid Healing). If you're always gigantic or glowing or have huge fangs (Overt Variations), however, that's a step worse for you than merely being capable of becoming/having those things, so you get a small discount on those Variations if you make them Perpetual. On the other hand, being continually invisible, well, it has its ups and downs, so the mechanic that lets you make Camouflage a Perpetual Variation still works, but it doesn't change the Magnitude "cost" of the Variation. Not all Persistent Variations can be made Perpetual, but most can.

Perpetual Variations also fall into the "permanent supernatural effect" category on ye olde Clash of Wills chart, so a Perpetual Variation grants you a +5 bonus on Clash of Wills rolls involving it. You are invisible by nature, so even a powerful sorcerer (or other supernatural creature) is going to have a hard time making you visible to the naked eye. Toggled Variations don't enjoy this bonus, but they have the significant advantage of not attracting the constant attention of everyone you encounter.

Resident Lore-Hound
                                Currently Consuming: Hunter: the Vigil 1e

Comment

Working...
                                X