Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric Zawadzki
    • Nov 2013

I'd add that much of the Deviant template is about what you *lose*. Your soul is broken. You only have one short-term Aspiration and no long-term Aspiration. You have no Virtue or Vice. A bunch of quite ordinary Merits are dangerous to use. You get a brand new "health track" (Stability) that provides another way to die horribly, Loyalty and Conviction Touchstones that allow you to slow down that slide (or accelerate it, depending on how good you are about pursuing them), and a life on the run from countless individuals and organizations that want to use you for your powers.

Deviants have a couple Adaptations - a universal one that helps them resist being mind-controlled into acting contrary to their Touchstones, and two others that are a part of their Clade (more on those later, but they aren't an aura). Some Remade also have a Form. The rest of their template is a mix of Variations and Scars based on threat level (plus any gained along the way). Make no mistake, high-Magnitude Variations can be pretty impressive, especially any Magnitude 5 Variation (although you have to be willing to take on a Magnitude 5 Scar in trade, which is no easy burden). But in the absence of a bunch of other benefits gained from the template (Mage Sight/Attainments/improvised magic for mages, pledge-crafting/hedge-crafting/dream-crafting for changelings, blood **ckery/benefits of being dead for vampires, etc.), Variations are pretty much all the Broken have got going for them.

To some extent, this stripped down template keeps Deviants comparatively low-powered. But I think it also keeps the game itself simpler, its characters' abilities easier to keep track of.

Onyx Path Freelancer and Fantasy Author

Comment

• Primordial newcomer
      • Apr 2018

so playable manticores will be part of the forms, makes sense.

I think I understand why conviction is easier to have but harder to sustain you and loyalty being the opposite. from what you said ("depending how good you are at pursuing them"), conviction is easy for deviants to find another touchstone for. but tough to sustain, loyalty being the opposite, and also providing conviction touchstones from things that bring harm to it (still no idea how the devoted will work regarding that)

Comment

• Tessie
        • May 2016

Originally posted by Primordial newcomer View Post
        so playable manticores will be part of the forms, makes sense.
        No. That specific example can be solved with a new Form that allows playing a human Remade in an animal body. Not a Manticore with whatever rules differences they'll have.

Writer for Bloodlines: The Ageless on STV
        Some other stuff I've done: Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

• Primordial newcomer
          • Apr 2018

Originally posted by Tessie View Post

No. That specific example can be solved with a new Form that allows playing a human Remade in an animal body. Not a Manticore with whatever rules differences they'll have.
          ahh ok, my bad

Comment

• Minty
            • Dec 2016

I can't wait to play a shark who can squeeze through pipes to attack people in the bath.

We know a little bit about Scars. We know they are broken up into mental, physical, and social categories. We know they can get worse as your Stability track fills up with Instability. We know they can be persistent, involuntary, or switch on with toggled on with Variations. Since Variations have to be entangled with them, they ought to have a severity from 1 to 5. Do we actually know how bad they get? Have we seen any examples of what a Scar might be like at magnitude 1 vs 3 vs 5?

Comment

• Nicolas Milioni
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Eric Zawadzki View Post

Her powers are demonic in nature - not in the "a demon's liver transplanted into your body" sense but in a "you have the mystical essence of a demon inside of you, its power straining to be unleashed on the world." (Note that this is probably something native to a Lower Realm, rather than one of the Unchained).

Hrm. I suppose I could see about putting up some spoilers for Clades on the blog, soon-ish...
              Is there any chance you could post that blog this week? I'm really curious about it.

Comment

• Eric Zawadzki
                • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post

Is there any chance you could post that blog this week? I'm really curious about it.
                It's in the works. I'm not sure of the exact timing, though.

Comment

• Nicolas Milioni
                  • Dec 2014

It's in the works. I'm not sure of the exact timing, though.
                  sure thing,i'll wait!

Comment

• Raistlin
                    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Runcible View Post
                    If I recall one of the other Clades mentioned is Parasitic/Symbiotic, a la Guyver and Venom symbiote. Animal/Human hybrid matches up with the inspiration of The Fly, but not sure if that fits under the categories of the more Cronenberg-ian category. Invisible man and of course Dr. Jekyll were mentioned for being under this game's category, though I imagine Jekyll is arguably under the hybrid category or the "Hulk" category if they aren't one in the same.

What about demon possession? This character, the Keeper, is a mod class for Darkest Dungeon. Her powers are...let´s say less conventient than Lucifuge´s.

Comment

• marin
                      • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Raistlin View Post
                      What about demon possession? This character, the Keeper, is a mod class for Darkest Dungeon. Her powers are...let´s say less conventient than Lucifuge´s.
                      It's been brought up; one of the demo characters has a demon's essence inside her.

The Keeper would probably be done as an Exomorph Coactive (her Origin and Clade, respectively - being an Exomorph means she got her powers unwillingly, while being a Coactive means she's permanently marked by the supernatural) with the Symbiote Form, which means her powers have a mind of their own.

Comment

• Eric Zawadzki
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by marin View Post

It's been brought up; one of the demo characters has a demon's essence inside her.

The Keeper would probably be done as an Exomorph Coactive (her Origin and Clade, respectively - being an Exomorph means she got her powers unwillingly, while being a Coactive means she's permanently marked by the supernatural) with the Symbiote Form, which means her powers have a mind of their own.
                        This. Also, I'm not familiar with the specific character, but it the demon takes over and does terrible things without her permission, it could be a manifestation of the Alternate Persona Scar.

Comment

• Borne
                          • Apr 2018

If the demon takes over and does terrible things without her permission, it could be a manifestation of the Alternate Persona Scar.
                          What differentiates the Amalgam Form from this Scar?

Comment

• Primordial newcomer
                            • Apr 2018

If I had to guess, the Scar is like how your own body is being taken over a la hulk. The amalgam is more like sharing a body, perhaps equally (basically two conciouses put into one body)

Comment

• Omegaphallic
                              • Feb 2014

I wonder if we will have a Manticore merit that grants a Manticore pet.

I really look forward to Remade made by other splats book. I'm curious how different Remade made by other splats are from regular Remade and each other.

Any Changeling that makes a Remade is in deep shit and take a hard hit to clarity.

Vampires, Mages, and Mummies I think would be the most common causes of Remade, after conspiracies I guess.

Hunter Remade likely just are regular Remade, although Lucifuge made Remade could be interesting.

I wonder if some kind of horrible Immortality might be a scar or variation for Mummy Remade?

Comment

• Robert D
                                • Jun 2016

I'd love to see the Remade characters from the Contagion Chronicle KS preview fiction written down on character sheets all stat-ed out

Comment

Working...