Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agent: the Truth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Agent: the Truth

    A while ago on the old White Wolf forums I suggested creating a new splat based on theories of alien interaction and intervention in humanity.

    The primes went something like this: in the distant past Humans used magic to interact with people from beyond the sky When we lost most of our magic we lost the ability to interact with them on the same level. The exact specifics of the situation are at the story tellers discretion as per the norm, but during the current time frame aliens are still very interested in humanity but they can't let humans know about their activities. Because aliens can't just go around on Earth unnoticed they choose certain humans to act as agents. They abduct these humans, make the offer, and give special implants to those to accept. They also erase most of the memory of the ordeal, not as much as they erase from humans they normally abduct, just enough so the agents don't fully understand how the aliens operate. These Agents are tasked with protecting the Truth: Not letting humans get a hold of solid evidence of alien interaction.

    Agents are given implants that function as the powers in this game. At their abduction, Agents are granted one of 4 basic implants: the Athletic Enhancer, Sense Enhancer, Neural Enabler and the Bio Communicator. They can also receive other implants that grant additional powers. Implants are not magical. They are biological machines that are can improve with use like like normal organs. They can become more powerful or even develop new abilities. A good example of an implant is the Energy State Manipulator which allows someone equipped with it to change energy from one state to another, one ability allows it to turn heat into light. An observer would see this as a freeze ray.

    The 4 basic implants I mentioned before are what determines an Agent's Variety. Enforcers have the Athletic Enhancer and are able to go toe to toe with advanced enemies. Scanners have the Sense enhancer allowing them to perceive trouble. Cleaners have the Neural Enabler which allows them to alter recordings and play with peoples minds so Evidence can be destroyed. Interpreters can use their Bio Communicators to send and receive messages from aliens and each other, they also have the ability to disable implants if needed.

    Agents can join networks of other Agents who work together to fulfill specific objectives in addition to protecting the Truth. Joining a Network helps Agents detect and respond to threats as well as making acquiring new Implants easier. I haven't thought this part of it out too much, but you get the idea.

    Abduction comes with partial memory erasing. Because of this many Agents suffer a loss of Clarity. As an Agent looses Clarity they may become paranoid and skeptical of observable reality. They may believe that people around them are conspiring against them. They may believe that they have received instructions to perform bizarre task for unknown reasons. Those who don't except the offer to become an Agent have nearly all of their abduction memory removed and are some times driven insane by what fragments remain.

    Evidence is a catch-all term for anything that might reveal the Truth. It may be anything from a snapshot of a low flying space craft to an out of control alien organism. The methods of dealing with it depend on the situation. In some cases the Evidence is a useful piece of equipment that an Agent may prefer to keep for themself rather then send back.Physical evidence has to be collected and returned to the aliens, or (failing that) destroyed beyond recognition. An Interpretor can report when something needs to be taken off world. recordings or memories can be altered my a Cleaner to be rendered unreliable.

    That's about what I have so far. What do you think?

    EDIT: I'm editing this in hear so new comers don't have to search for the post.

    Implants are machines made using biological engineering. They can be attached to a living creatures anatomy in a symbiotic union that grants the host special abilities in exchange for the host own calories.Agents are equipped with Implants that empower them so they can prevent ordinary humans from learning of the Outsiders, but Agents aren't the only creatures with Implants. Implant, being biological, become petter through use. With practice, an Agent can exercise their Implants to develop new abilities or improve abilities they already have. Implants are alive, and can die if they are damaged or deprived of calories for long enough.

    Upon an Agent's Abduction they are equipped with Basic Implants. These grant a certain power set, establish neural connections that allow the Agent to control their Implants, draw in a small supply of Calories from the Host into a sort of Cache. Power usage works about like we've come to expect powers in WoD to work: Implants start at Level 1 and can be increased to Level 5. Each level allows access to higher level powers. Agents have come into the habit of calling their active powers "Displays" as reminder that they are flashy, extraordinary and using them in the presence of non Agents risk them learning the Truth. Displays have a Calorie cost that is drawn from the Cache. If the Cache is ever depleted the Agent looses the benefits of their Implants until such time as they restore at lease 1 dot to their Cache.

    An Agent may have up to 8 different implants. It is not possible to have two of the same Implant, but it is possible to have one of each basic Implant. Most Agents acquire new Implants by asking an Interpretor to request 1 from the Outsiders. Power is, after all, an excellent payment for services rendered. But there is another way to acquire an Implant. A skilled enough surgeon can remove an Implant so that it can attach itself to a new host.The original Host will be killed by this process and the Implant will most likely be damaged so that it looses developed ability.

    I'm considering having the Implants inflict scars on on anyone implanted with them. These would be an interesting way of marking Agents and other Implanted beings.
    Last edited by Brian Orcus; 01-30-2017, 03:32 AM.

  • #2
    It has potential

    Comment


    • #3
      I'd use something other than Clarity due to the "One Integrity Variant Per Template" rule; maybe something like Trust (At higher levels, you're fairly open-and ironically, better at telling when someone is trying to take advantage of you, as you have an empathetic instinct for it. At lower levels, you're so paranoid you're convinced your rivals may be twisting your perceptions of reality).

      Otherwise great.


      Comment


      • #4
        I'd like to think this could either become an official part of the CoD or be fleshed out by fans until it can be used a fan made splat.If Onyx Path doesn't want to produce an official version of Agents then we, the fans, may as well brain storm and creat Networks, Implants, Critters and all that jazz for ourselves.

        Comment


        • #5
          This sounds like an awesome concept. I am picturing the average agent looking like a MIB. I already have a antagonist idea if you want to hear it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
            This sounds like an awesome concept. I am picturing the average agent looking like a MIB. I already have a antagonist idea if you want to hear it.

            I'd love to hear (by which I mean read) it.

            Also, the reason I chose Clarity as the Integrity Variant is because of stories of the MIBs in Roswell exhibiting bizarre behavior, like drinking hair gel and not knowing what a phone was.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post


              I'd love to hear (by which I mean read) it.

              Also, the reason I chose Clarity as the Integrity Variant is because of stories of the MIBs in Roswell exhibiting bizarre behavior, like drinking hair gel and not knowing what a phone was.
              ​My basic idea is a technology company called Shooting Star International. They are based in Paris, France and are headed by Dr. Jules Mazet. They know about the Truth and the Agent's that keep it from humanity. Instead of wanting to expose it, Shooting Star wants to capitalize on the alien technology all over the earth by stealing it and reverse engineering it for their own purposes. This makes them enemies of the Agents, who were instructed to hide any evidence of their bosses' existence.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like it. This makes sense as a Network of rouge Agents as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but if an Agent goes rogue the alien overlords I'll be calling "Outsiders" from now on leave it to their Agents to deal with them. Also, if an implant is removed in just the right way, it can be transplanted. The recipient would loose more Celerity then if they'd simply acquired it the normal way, but for some Agents it's worth it to acquire new power. This is much more difficult with Basic Implants, but Shooting Star International could use this technique to create their own Agents.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
                  I like it. This makes sense as a Network of rouge Agents as well. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but if an Agent goes rogue the alien overlords I'll be calling "Outsiders" from now on leave it to their Agents to deal with them. Also, if an implant is removed in just the right way, it can be transplanted. The recipient would loose more Celerity then if they'd simply acquired it the normal way, but for some Agents it's worth it to acquire new power. This is much more difficult with Basic Implants, but Shooting Star International could use this technique to create their own Agents.
                  ​I was actually thinking about having Shooting Star kidnap agents and try to harvest their implants. Also, would the Agents know about Shooting Star?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Depends on how they operate. If Shooting Star covers their tracks well enough they could hide themselves pretty well. Agents don't normally have any way of knowing if someone else is an Agent. And the defining characteristic of Agents is that they keep information from spreading. So just because "an" Agent or Team of Agents knows what Shooting Star is up to, doesn't mean that information will become common knowledge. Shooting Star also clearly has a vested interest in keeping their dealings under wraps, so they'd probably use deniable assets and shell companies (not to mention top shelf Outsider tech) to out maneuver the investigations of Agents.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
                      Depends on how they operate. If Shooting Star covers their tracks well enough they could hide themselves pretty well. Agents don't normally have any way of knowing if someone else is an Agent. And the defining characteristic of Agents is that they keep information from spreading. So just because "an" Agent or Team of Agents knows what Shooting Star is up to, doesn't mean that information will become common knowledge. Shooting Star also clearly has a vested interest in keeping their dealings under wraps, so they'd probably use deniable assets and shell companies (not to mention top shelf Outsider tech) to out maneuver the investigations of Agents.
                      ​Yeah, I can totally see them using shell companies and tech to cover up their dealings. Would it be okay to have them somewhat successful in reverse-engineering Outsider tech? Also, does Shooting Star sound like a dumb name? Here is a image of one of their scientists. https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/man-...e-35333844.jpg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        They wouldn't really be a threat if they hadn't had some successes. They'd be able to reliably track Agents and harvest their implants for transplants. Dr. Jules Mazet would most likely have a few Agents with all the Basic Implants plus a few more. They'd probably also have remote stables with with captured life forms for dissection or even breeding.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
                          They wouldn't really be a threat if they hadn't had some successes. They'd be able to reliably track Agents and harvest their implants for transplants. Dr. Jules Mazet would most likely have a few Agents with all the Basic Implants plus a few more. They'd probably also have remote stables with with captured life forms for dissection or even breeding.
                          ​Not sure about them having dead aliens but the rest is pretty good. Also, shooting star could have their own agents that help fight the Outsider's Agents. What did you think of the image of the scientist and do you think I should change Shooting Star's name?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ya, in order to take on agents who will be after Outsider technology they'll need to make their own Agents. Their researchers would probably wear haz-mat suits just like that while disassembling anything they find. Suits like that would also protect their identities. And the name is fine. It's easy to remember and sounds hopeful, so it would ironically become a name feared and loathed by by any Agents who learned of their true nature.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post
                              Ya, in order to take on agents who will be after Outsider technology they'll need to make their own Agents. Their researchers would probably wear haz-mat suits just like that while disassembling anything they find. Suits like that would also protect their identities. And the name is fine. It's easy to remember and sounds hopeful, so it would ironically become a name feared and loathed by by any Agents who learned of their true nature.
                              ​I will keep the name. I wonder how the Agents would classify Shooting Star Agents? Also, would it make sense if the head of the Alien Project is a former Soviet scientist?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X