No announcement yet.

Agent: the Truth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll edit my first post to include this as well as posting this hear.

Implants are machines made using biological engineering. They can be attached to a living creatures anatomy in a symbiotic union that grants the host special abilities in exchange for the host own calories.Agents are equipped with Implants that empower them so they can prevent ordinary humans from learning of the Outsiders, but Agents aren't the only creatures with Implants. Implant, being biological, become petter through use. With practice, an Agent can exercise their Implants to develop new abilities or improve abilities they already have. Implants are alive, and can die if they are damaged or deprived of calories for long enough.

Upon an Agent's Abduction they are equipped with Basic Implants. These grant a certain power set, establish neural connections that allow the Agent to control their Implants, draw in a small supply of Calories from the Host into a sort of Cache. Power usage works about like we've come to expect powers in WoD to work: Implants start at Level 1 and can be increased to Level 5. Each level allows access to higher level powers. Agents have come into the habit of calling their active powers "Displays" as reminder that they are flashy, extraordinary and using them in the presence of non Agents risk them learning the Truth. Displays have a Calorie cost that is drawn from the Cache. If the Cache is ever depleted the Agent looses the benefits of their Implants until such time as they restore at lease 1 dot to their Cache.

An Agent may have up to 8 different implants. It is not possible to have two of the same Implant, but it is possible to have one of each basic Implant. Most Agents acquire new Implants by asking an Interpretor to request 1 from the Outsiders. Power is, after all, an excellent payment for services rendered. But there is another way to acquire an Implant. A skilled enough surgeon can remove an Implant so that it can attach itself to a new host.The original Host will be killed by this process and the Implant will most likely be damaged so that it looses developed ability.

I'm considering having the Implants inflict scars on on anyone implanted with them. These would be an interesting way of marking Agents and other Implanted beings.
    Last edited by Brian Orcus; 01-30-2017, 03:33 AM.

Comment

Kobolden is a friend of mine on minds.com https://www.minds.com/Kobolden We've been discussing this thread and he came up with the idea of sub Varieties that we worked together to make 3 more Varieties

Enforcer/Cleaner would be called Screamers They can render a crowd almost incapable of remembering what happened. Cleaner/Seeker would be called Piercer and they can work their way into almost any location. Seeker/Enforcer would be called Chaser and they have abilities that help them track targets. Screamers were our favorite topic. Their ability functions much like a Werewolf's Lunacy. Here's Kobolden words "Alright...thinking about the Enforcer/Cleaner, perhaps the Agent can scramble minds EMP-style or cause such fear that when his enemies recover, they're not sure what happened Only that they got the shit kicked out of them, and whoever did it really knew what he was doing...or she? Or was there more than one? Were they tall, short?"

The reason nobody can do what Interpretors do is because they're abilities are so special. Kobolden's original idea was a wheel with all 4 of the Basic classes and a hybrid class between each of those. The finished product is sill wheel shaped, but the Interpretors are at the center with the other 6 Varieties arranged around them. Each Variety has its own unique ability. It is still possible for 1 Agent to have all 7 Basic Implants, but they still have to collect them from Agents they kill.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post

​These are pretty decent antagonists Nuwisha. I particularly like The Watchers. What do you think of Shooting Star Internationale?
        I like it. I think it should be fleshed out a little more to feel more ominous, but it definitely has great potential. A couple questions:
        • How does Shooting Star Int. track UFO activity and crashes? How would they beat government agencies or better equipped hunter conspiracies to the scene in order to harvest the tech? How would they avoid notice from the Outsiders?
        • Who else is involved in the Shooting Star Conspiracy? Sure, two men and some wealth could do a lot, but a larger global corporation is going to need additional trustworthy bodies and interesting characters who can run things smoothly and efficiently. Who invests in the company? Does the company have divisions (albeit secret ones) that develop weapons or biological research? Do they have connections, contracts, or networks with the government, the intelligence community, or the military?
        Originally posted by Brian Orcus View Post

It's funny that you mention Majestic 12 because I'm considering making them an Agent Network that focuses on preventing Outsider influence in human politics, I think the description you suggested has already been filled by Task Force Valkyrie and Shooting Star Internationale.
        Would Majestic 12 be a rogue faction of agents, seeing as they are preventing Outsiders from influencing human politics and affairs? Or do you mean that they prevent the Truth from falling into the hands of politicians?

The Watchers are a terrific antagonist, sort of like the Pandorans are to the Prometheans. They also present a good reason for Outsiders to make Agents in the first place.
        I agree. The classic Men in Black from UFO lore are disturbing. Especially if you read John Keel’s Mothman Prophecies. I’m glad you like them.

A WoD game inspired alien lore wouldn't be complete without shape shifting reptilians, would it? I think these guys actually need more definition. They should have clear goals, specified powers, some kind of weakness. Maybe they could be cold blooded. That would explain stories of them living deep under ground and would tie them in with global warming. It would also give them a tell. As for shape shifting, how do you feel about this: A reptilian most ingest a DNA sample of the person they want to shape shift into. After a certain amount of time they have to shed their skin so that they look like their new identity. This establishes limits on shape shifting and gives players clues to look out for in game play.
        I really like your shape-shifting idea. That is definitely a keeper. The cold-blooded aspect could work, but it needs to be fleshed out a little more. Perhaps they have tech that allows them to regulate their temperature when they are on the “Surface”? Perhaps when they are in their “human” form, they are temporarily warm-blooded? How do they themselves get around their evolutionary flaw so they can maintain activity in the human world?
        I’ll have to think a little bit on their goals and powers. I’ll get back to you on that.

I started saying "Outsiders" instead of "aliens" because "Outsiders" is a more ambiguous term. There's a growing theory that aliens and UFOs come from different dimensions or realities instead of just planets. I figure we're better off only explaining what we have to and letting everyone else imagine whatever they want or just enjoy the mystery.

It's clear you put a lot of thought into this before you scraped it. Do you have any ideas for Implants or Lore?
        I share your feelings on calling aliens Outsiders. Making them extraterrestrials in a supernatural game doesn't make them feel as ominous as making them "entities from outside of time and space".
        I’ll have to sit down and brainstorm some ideas for new Implants and Lore. What direction do you want the Lore to go?
        Last edited by Nuwisha Nutjob; 02-01-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I'll edit my first post to include this as well as posting this hear.

Implants are machines made using biological engineering. They can be attached to a living creatures anatomy in a symbiotic union that grants the host special abilities in exchange for the host own calories.Agents are equipped with Implants that empower them so they can prevent ordinary humans from learning of the Outsiders, but Agents aren't the only creatures with Implants. Implant, being biological, become petter through use. With practice, an Agent can exercise their Implants to develop new abilities or improve abilities they already have. Implants are alive, and can die if they are damaged or deprived of calories for long enough.

Upon an Agent's Abduction they are equipped with Basic Implants. These grant a certain power set, establish neural connections that allow the Agent to control their Implants, draw in a small supply of Calories from the Host into a sort of Cache. Power usage works about like we've come to expect powers in WoD to work: Implants start at Level 1 and can be increased to Level 5. Each level allows access to higher level powers. Agents have come into the habit of calling their active powers "Displays" as reminder that they are flashy, extraordinary and using them in the presence of non Agents risk them learning the Truth. Displays have a Calorie cost that is drawn from the Cache. If the Cache is ever depleted the Agent looses the benefits of their Implants until such time as they restore at lease 1 dot to their Cache.

An Agent may have up to 8 different implants. It is not possible to have two of the same Implant, but it is possible to have one of each basic Implant. Most Agents acquire new Implants by asking an Interpretor to request 1 from the Outsiders. Power is, after all, an excellent payment for services rendered. But there is another way to acquire an Implant. A skilled enough surgeon can remove an Implant so that it can attach itself to a new host.The original Host will be killed by this process and the Implant will most likely be damaged so that it looses developed ability.

I'm considering having the Implants inflict scars on on anyone implanted with them. These would be an interesting way of marking Agents and other Implanted beings.

This is good stuff. What would an Agent's "supernatural" power stat be?

Comment

It would be called "Charge" but the area where Carges are held is called the "Cache."

I was working on a description of an Implant complete with Displays and stat bonuses when, being the maverick that I am, I fucked up and closed the page by accident.I'm typing it up all over again on DA where my journals are saved as drafts. I'm also working on a short story.

On the subject of MJ12, the are Outsides (like Reptilians and Watchers) who actively try to screw with humans for varying reasons. MJ12 is primarily concerned with politics.

Something I was thinking about concerning Reptilians. They should collect samples from people they like and keep them in storage or even trade them. Some samples could be centuries old. This would allow STs to play with theories like these http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/...ack-in-history

You mentioned hybrids a while back and that got me thinking. Maybe the Watchers are hybrids made my altering human DNA with Outsider DNA. Watcher Implants can be harvested and transplanted into a Human Agent, but doing so still risk Clarity.

Comment

It would be called "Charge" but the area where Carges are held is called the "Cache."

I was working on a description of an Implant complete with Displays and stat bonuses when, being the maverick that I am, I fucked up and closed the page by accident.I'm typing it up all over again on DA where my journals are saved as drafts. I'm also working on a short story.
              If I may make a suggestion: instead of calling the power stat Charge, how about Enhancement or Amplification? In that way, it reflects how an Agent's Implants and general powers can be permanently upgraded. Enhancement or Amplification can determine how many Implants a character's body can handle, how many Calories their implants can store, and how powerful the Implants are. It also can also be used in a clash-of-wills against certain supernatural powers (though the type of implants determines what powers can be clashed against). As the character's enhancement rises, they risk having the implants do damage to their body or go haywire.

Can't wait to see your implant write-ups.

On the subject of MJ12, the are Outsides (like Reptilians and Watchers) who actively try to screw with humans for varying reasons. MJ12 is primarily concerned with politics.
              MJ12 sounds pretty sweet. Are your faction splats going to reflect what areas of humanity Agents have to deal with?

Something I was thinking about concerning Reptilians. They should collect samples from people they like and keep them in storage or even trade them. Some samples could be centuries old. This would allow STs to play with theories like these http://www.express.co.uk/news/weird/...ack-in-history
              Lol @ the time traveling celebrities. The collecting samples makes a lot of sense. I like it!

You mentioned hybrids a while back and that got me thinking. Maybe the Watchers are hybrids made my altering human DNA with Outsider DNA. Watcher Implants can be harvested and transplanted into a Human Agent, but doing so still risk Clarity.
              That is awesome! It makes sense with the myth of MiBs.

Comment

I misunderstood what you were talking about. Charge is what powers Displays..I like your idea of Enhancement. It has a H+ feel to it.

And yes, there should be a network that deals with science, a Network that deals with hunting down and eliminating Evidence in historical site (like destroying wall paintings of spaceships in Egyptian ruins) and even a Network that handles the media.

Ya, bat-shit like that is the manure that an Agent Campaign blooms from.

There are abduction stories about genetic material being harvested from humans and of abducties even getting to meet their hybrid offspring. Such a creature is thus lore friendly, can be used to make very complex characters and it makes sense that their Implants would be transferable. Imagine being an Agent fallowing a suspected Watcher and seeing him spend time helping his human mother clean her house while she recovers from a surgery. Or an Agent discovering a Watcher in 4th grade. Maybe a Watcher is the only person who can keep two nations from going to war. Moral dilemmas are like that make champagnes legendary.

Comment

Ah, Charge is the energy stat. That makes more sense.

That would be an interesting angle to the Watchers. I like it!

Comment

Varieties
                    Agents belong to 1 of 7 Varieties depending on which Basic Implant they have. These Basic Implants are more powerful then standard Implants, they grant the Agent template, Variety stat bonuses and Displays. Regular Implants only grant Displays or stat bonuses. Many of these Basic Implants have displays in common, but each one has at least 1 Display that is Variety exclusive. Each of these Implants along with their stat bonuses and Displays is subject to adjustment and recalculation for balance

Fun fact: the name Varieties is a reference to Philip K. Dick's short story The Second Variety.

Enforcer
                    Sometimes, Outsiders on Earth need to be forced to seas their activities. Okay, most of the time. Enforcers use their Athletic Enhancers to give them an edge against hostile creatures from beyond this world and more then a few from their own back yards. But Enforcers are not mindless destroyers. Each Enforcer is still obligated to hide the Truth and prevent Exposure. Doing so often requires careful planning and skilled execution.

Background
                    Enforcers are always chosen because of their physical skills, self control and reliability. They may have been martial artist and soldiers or even dancers. But Enforcers also need to be able to stand and face things that would drive normal people mad in close quarters combat. Interpretors often look for some sign that the prospective Enforcer is doing a good job of keeping a secret.

Concepts
                    Masked wrestlers, covert shock troop, underground cage fighter, extreme sportsmen, body builder, survivalist, rescue worker, chivalrous gentleman.

Stereotypes
                    Chasers: Like a younger sibling... that can flank.
                    Scanners: Found it yet? No? Ok.
                    Piercers: They don't need us... until they need us, that is.
                    Cleaners: Sorry, but somethings really do need to be ripped to pieces.
                    Screamers: Like a younger sibling... during a sugar rush.
                    Interpretors: I'm not so sure about them.

Vampires: I don't think they're Outsiders, but I do think they're hungry.
                    Werewolves: There are things you fight head on, things you don't fight head on, then there are werewolves.
                    Mages: Bet they run out of spells before I run out of bullets.
                    Prometheans: So how hard do you think I have to hit it to make it fly apart.
                    Changelings: Funny story. I ran into one of these guys Nashville and we spent 30 minutes staring at each other trying to figure out if we were supposed to kill each other. We still talk online.
                    Hunters: They're more of a danger to themselves then any of us.
                    Sin-Eaters: What?
                    Mummies: Hard to kill. Harder to keep killed.
                    Demons: And I thought I had problems.
                    Beasts: They're cool.

Athletic Enhancer
                    Stat Bonus: plus 1 dice to all physical attribute checks per Implant's level.

Level 1 Displays

Boost: This Display is what makes an Enforcer an Enforcer. For 1 turn the Agent's physical attributes are doubled.

Level 2 Displays

Stabilize: An Agent may activate this Display as a reaction when they become subject to an effect that causes ongoing damage such as poison, bleeding or fire. For 10 minutes per charge spent the Agent does not take damage from any status ailment. They still take damage from attacks or injuries.

Mangle: If an inanimate object is small enough for the Agent to put his hands on opposite sides of it and light enough for them lift it they can activate this Display to apply incredible amounts of pressure in an attempt to destroy it. This Display may be purchased twice to increase chances of success and allow the Agent to use it on anything small enough to put their hands on on either side of. Also this Display can be used to destroy 2 things at once so long as they can both be held in 1 hand each.

Level 3 Displays

Dash: The Agent's speed doubles for 1 turn.

Bend: The Agent becomes impossibly flexible. This allows them to escape restraints or pass through small openings.

Filter: The Agent can breath water or poisonous gas without taking damage, and consume toxic food or water without taking harm.

Sudden Exertion: This Display can be used 1 of 2 ways: a supper punch or a supper jump.

Level 4 Displays

Trebuchet: The Agent can throw anything they can lift over their head 3 times farther then they can normally throw objects.

Iron: The Agent can activate this Display as a reaction to being the target of damage but not to being damaged. The Agent becomes ridged and impervious until the start of their next turn. This Display can be purchased twice to make the protection reflective, as in, bullets bounce back at the guys firing them.

Mend: The Agent heals half their damage. This Display can be set to activate when the Agent is rendered unconscious so long as they have a charge to spend.

Grace: The Agent gains 2 extra dice to Dexterity checks per Charge spent.

Level 5 Displays

Poetry in Motion: This Display may be activated as a reaction to a failed physical roll. The player re-rolls half of the failed dice.

Rescue: This Display may be activated as a reaction to someone or thing adjacent to them being attacked. The Agent puts themselves between the attacker and the attacked just in time to take the hit. The Agent has the effect of "Iron" with regard to that attack and that attack only.

As you can see the Implants and their Displays are far from finished. I look forward to your input, and critique. Until then, here's a few more things I came up with.

Networks are large scale collaborations of Agents that focus on a specific aspect of the world. Network membership is not mandatory. Networks make many resources available to their member Agents. They provide intelligence on local happenings. They have contacts that can acquire weapons and equipment. But perhaps the most valuable resource they provide are the Bureau, safe haves hidden from the public where Agents can discus their strange lives and safely equip new Implants.

Majestic 12: Little is known but much is guessed about the most legendary Network of Agents on Earth. Even MJ12 Interpretors aren't sure of their history. What is known is that Majestic 12 is with in arms reach of every major world leader. They see everything. They interact with little. MJ12 only cares about detecting and sabotaging the Outsider agenda on the political stage so only humanity is screwing humanity over.

There are as many theories about the origins of of Majestic 12 as there re Agents who look into it. Some say the "modern incarnation" has only existed since the Roswell Crises. Some claim that MJ12 was there when the first laws were spoken. Everything from the number of months in year, to the hanged man tarot card, to the maji of antiquity appear in the myriad theories Agents have concocted in their spare time.

Silver Key Media Consulting: The best kept secret in entertainment is kept in an unassuming little office building in Providence, Rhode Island. S.K.M.C. has their eyes on every book, movie, TV show, Video Game etc to ever be dreamed up by man, and apparently a few other things. For nearly a hundred years, S.K.M.C. has helped worked quietly behind the scenes* to help stories spread across the world. But they do a lot more then just marketing. S.K.M.J. takes every opportunity to inject altered facts about Outsiders and Outsider based events into plots and scripts as a way of discrediting anyone who would give an account of these events.

In the early 1900s a young Cleaner named █ P. ███ operating in Rhode Island saw a nightmarish future unfolding before himself and all his ilk. Stories were getting out. True stories. There were skeptics, but new techniques in investigative journalism were getting corroborating reports. And new methods of printing and distributing were going to make sure those stories were known around the world. Exposure. The Truth. It would call come undone. It was while reading a ridiculous love story in a literary magazine in a vain attempt to distract himself from the oncoming doom that he got an idea that would change the world, and media forever.

*pun intended. I regret nothing.

Comment

Did I break it?

Comment

So... I guess this idea is dead then?

Comment

Working...
                        X