What do you want out of Dark Eras 2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you want out of Dark Eras 2?

Okay, we've had several threads talking about what Eras we'd like to see in Dark Eras 2 (and feel free to suggest more here), but I wanted to ask more about the direction people would like to see from the book. For me there are a few things I would like to see:

1) More eras outside of Colonial North America and Europe, especially in Africa, Southern and Southeast Asia, and South America.

2) Crossover Eras where the crossover is a plot point in the era.

3) More localized splats like the Gallows Post and the God-Machine cults in Beneath the Skin. It would be cool to see some Nameless Orders in Mage Eras.

4) Innocents Blitz and Book of Judges Hunter

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by Second Chances; 01-29-2017, 08:27 PM.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

I've seen a few people mention non-Euro/American settings and while I don't disagree, I have absolutely nothing against eras set amongst other cultures in different periods, I think the main reason for doing Eras with a European or American focus is the ease of understanding the setting for the non-history buffs.

For example, Three Kingdoms China I would need to do a lot of research on to run, same with Incan South America. Meanwhile, someone like DaveB mentions Medieval Britain focusing on what it became after Camelot, well I probably should do a lot of research, but I don't feel it as keenly because I totally watched Knight's Tale and Heath Ledger taught me everything I needed to know

Comment

Something for Immortals and Inferno. The former for age-spanning stories, and the latter for showing the consistency of human evil.

Comment

French Resistance Changeling/Werewolf

Your homes have been invaded by the Nazis, handed to them by the traitorous Vichy. Your ideals are violated, as the Lost's Throne of Time is dismantled and the Oaths of the Moon and Urfarah are violated by the alliance within the German forces. In the shadows of the occupation, changeling and werewolf alike unite in the Forest of Teeth Resistance under the leadership of the Sweetest Wolf, running down enemies and traitors alike in vicious marquis, taking back their homes one Wild Hunt at a time.

I finally found the right mixture of particular details to make me actually interested in pitching it.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Onyx Path Freelancer
        Working on:Night Horrors: Enemy Action
        The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
          Something for Immortals and Inferno. The former for age-spanning stories, and the latter for showing the consistency of human evil.

I think someone (who wrote in the book) mentioned something about the immortals for the Dark Eras Companion, but I don't remember where. A video I think, can't find it at the moment.

How can I know if what I claim I know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I might not know? How can I know if what I claim I don't know to be true is rejecting the idea that there is something I do know?
          -Zhuangzi

Comment

Originally posted by Ostarion View Post

I think someone (who wrote in the book) mentioned something about the immortals for the Dark Eras Companion, but I don't remember where. A video I think, can't find it at the moment.
            In that case, I rejoice.

Comment

To learn from most successful chapters of Dark Eras 1.

Find my Homebrew Fangs of Mara 2ed update Here

Comment

-those Eras which we didn't got at the first one (Book of Judges, Reign of Terror, Age of Piracy, Jazz Age and Serpent and the Rainbow are pretty close to the top of my wish list)

-Dark Eras for more "blue books", such as Innocents, Inferno and Immortals

-new splats and interesting phenomena which would make playing that Era into something special other than aesthetics

-feeling of a "wider world of darkness" outside of the Era's main focus. After the Fall, Sundered World and Fallen Blossoms do it in an excellent way

-make sure that each Era presents the setting in a way which is relevant to the gameline it is focused around. I'm not saying the former Dark Eras didn't managed to do it, but it is important to make sure it won't feel too industrialized.

-oh, and art. I want awesome art, just like the one we got at Fallen Blossoms and Doubting Souls and other chapters. I want some focus around character arts, something which would make me look at a scene or member of that Era and say "wow- I want to play that!". Some of the previous book's art pieces were great- others, not so much.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P

Comment

Definitely some of the eras that didn't make the cut in the first book, such as Age of Piracy and Wild West Geist.

Comment

Originally posted by Gullinbursti View Post
                    I've seen a few people mention non-Euro/American settings and while I don't disagree, I have absolutely nothing against eras set amongst other cultures in different periods, I think the main reason for doing Eras with a European or American focus is the ease of understanding the setting for the non-history buffs.

For example, Three Kingdoms China I would need to do a lot of research on to run, same with Incan South America. Meanwhile, someone like DaveB mentions Medieval Britain focusing on what it became after Camelot, well I probably should do a lot of research, but I don't feel it as keenly because I totally watched Knight's Tale and Heath Ledger taught me everything I needed to know
                    You see, to me that's all the more reason to diversify the eras. I was seriously impressed by how much Dark Eras taught me, and I'm saying that as both a teacher and a holder of a Bachelor of History. I thought Dark Eras did an excellent job in giving me enough information to run a game in an era I didn't know.

Further, I don't think it's fair to assume that the book's audience is automatically North American or European. That certainly may be the bulk of the audience, but I was running games in Abu Dhabi when the first Kickstarter was ongoing. Diversifying the eras could help build support for Onyx Path in new markets.

I will politely ignore the topic of historical accuracy in Knight's Tale :P Although I thought that Dave's Arthurian Era was actually much more post-Roman Britain than anything else, which is very different than what most people think of when you mention Camelot (I have no way of know if you know this or not, so I'm just saying it for the sake of discussion and the people who don't)

Originally posted by Ostarion View Post

It was the Gentleman Gamer. He mentioned in the Mummy Resource thread (link in my sig) that Immortals would show up in the Cleopatran Mummy era.
                    Last edited by Second Chances; 01-30-2017, 11:07 AM.

CofD booklists:
                    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

It was the Gentleman Gamer. He mentioned in the Mummy Resource thread (link in my sig) that Immortals would show up in the Cleopatran Mummy era.
                      Oh God how have I missed it? Could we please get a blood bather reference for the Bath of Life from Mother Liesel's story? Could we also have that women from the cover of the book being such a blood bather (or purified) with the mummy on the background being her lover-beyond-ages? I mean, it is like the cover was made for that Dark Era!

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P

Comment

Oh, I honestly have nothing against other periods/cultures being presented. I ended up doing a lot of research thanks to Sundered World and To the Strongest since I had next to no knowledge of early human history and the majority of my knowledge of Ancient Greece is mostly through mythology and an interest in heroes and monsters. I was more mentioning that the reason for the European/American focus probably has something to do with the target audience for ChroD and the ease of access people have to the content. Not trying to imply people from other regions never buy the books, but at a guess the majority of the sales are probably from those regions and while I do enjoy researching the periods, some people disliking the need to research probably factors in when the Eras are chosen.

That aside,
                        1) I'd love to see a new type of Antagonist that during a historical period forced two or more of the splats to ally against it.
                        2) Forsaken by Rome so I can use it alongside Requiem for Rome

Comment

I'd like to see important or transitory moments in the history of the supernaturals with an interesting backdrop. Vampire, for instance, with the Legion of the Dead on its last legs in the 11th century and other covenants looking to pounce. Werewolf during the founding of one of the tribes, or the destruction of one, like the fourth Pure tribe. Mage during the time of Kish

While I found a lot of the times interesting, I think the more popular ones were those that focused on the supernatural in a way they wouldn't normally be focused.

Gullinbursti Forsaken by Rome is going to be in the first Dark Eras Companion, which isn't out yet but is coming.

Comment

I've made my pitch for Meiji Japan Werewolf elsewhere and stand by it as a very thematically coherent concept. Outside of that, I'd kill for more stuff like The Sundered World or earlier for other gamelines, because going that far back in time is just such an untapped space in all fiction. Roman settings for every gameline are a long-held dream of mine (Changeling in Britannia! Promethean in Judea!), as is Mummy content of any sort. I think it's a crime we haven't seen any sort of predominantly-Muslim setting (give me Iberia, please!) yet, and think all of the lines could benefit from it.

I'd say I want Changeling/Hunter crossover in 1960s America, but that's partly because I dearly want Hotel Mascaron to be made canon.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                              I think it's a crime we haven't seen any sort of predominantly-Muslim setting (give me Iberia, please!) yet, and think all of the lines could benefit from it.
                              Werewolf has Basra and Dubai. Dark Eras has After the Fall and the Ruins of Empire, though the last is shared with England.

Comment

Working...
                              X