Choosing Supernatural Powers and Merits for YOUR life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing Supernatural Powers and Merits for YOUR life

As you might have guessed by now, I like hypothetical stuff.
    One thing that I often thought when reading a WoD or CofD books was: "How cool would that be, if I could do that?"

So. assuming you could pick any supernatural merits and powers, which ones would you go for and why?
    You'd have 9 + (Your age-18) xp to spend. Xp costs are considered in-Clan, in-Family etc. at all times. Your power stat is always 1, your fuel stat is at (your highest resistance trait) and refuels through sleeping. Alternatively, your Willpower can be spend. (You might want to make a char-sheet of yourself for this =D)

Sole exemption of the rule: Because everyone would pick them for the sheer versitility they offer, you are limited to up to 2 dots of Arcana =P

Personally, I'd go with Mind 2, the Atavisms Unbreakable, Relentless Hunter, Mimir's Wisdom and the Embed On the Mend.
    As I age and get additional xp, I'd get Sleepless, Weatherproof and Acidic Stomach for merits.
    Why? Because I feel this combination would make life a lot easier both at work and at some of my hobbies, as well as be sort of something you can rely on in case of emergencies.
    So, what about you guys?

If my wife was a Sleepwalker, I'd get Time 2 just for Veil of Moments. The only effect you can't get rid of is inability to expend experiences, and while never being able to grow as a person fucking sucks it's trade we'd both make, at least for a little while, to gain functional agelessness. The best part is the ability to turn it off at any time.

If she wasn't, I'd get Fate 2.

With Arcana out of the way...
    Alien Allure, Mimir's Wisdom, and Wings of the Raptor. Like most human beings, I enjoy being liked, I don't enjoy being lied to, and I think flying would be pretty fucking cool.

Comment

Can we pick any template abilities that don't cost experiences cause Mage Sight and Werewolf forms are two powers that jump out at me as some of the first things I would want, but they don't quite fit the exercise as written.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
        Can we pick any template abilities that don't cost experiences cause Mage Sight and Werewolf forms are two powers that jump out at me as some of the first things I would want, but they don't quite fit the exercise as written.
        Those are out of bounds, as are things like Demon's Eidetic memory /Mulitlingualism/ perfect lying. Or Promethean's Bestowements, Changeling's Blessings, Beast's Skeleton Key and free occult dot etc. Mainly, because I have no idea how to incorporate those into the exercise, and because I think they (Birthrights, Blessings, etc) are simply too different from each other and too tied up to their respective templates in and of themselves.
        Sorry =(

Comment

Originally posted by Wormwood View Post
          Those are out of bounds, as are things like Demon's Eidetic memory /Mulitlingualism/ perfect lying. Or Promethean's Bestowements, Changeling's Blessings, Beast's Skeleton Key and free occult dot etc. Mainly, because I have no idea how to incorporate those into the exercise, and because I think they (Birthrights, Blessings, etc) are simply too different from each other and too tied up to their respective templates in and of themselves.
          Sorry =(
          No problem, just checking cause if I can't grab Mage Sight or Werewolf Shifting I'll definitely need to snag Auspex and Protean. I'll be back with a character sheet in a bit.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

well, considering that not choosing any Arcana when the option is on the table kinda feels like a waste, I think I'll go with Fate 1. I'll also take Castigation 3, which would be focused for Hellfire, Infernal Visions and Mandate of Hell, and Setto 2. To this I'm adding the In My Pocket Embed and Majesty for 2 dots.

Fate is to give me a measure of control over the world, but not enough to make me feel as if I'm cheating. Majesty to help me feel liked and in control without actually forcing people to do things against their will (a.k.a Dominate), and it would also help me with using Setto, which would give me a measure of versatility (and besides, I do enjoy trickery). In My Pockets is simply the most useful thing I can think about, so I'm always prepared. Infernal Visions was chosen for the same reason, and Mandate of Hell is an ability which could help dealing with spiritual beings, which as we all know could be problematic at best. Oh, and Hellfire- because I believe I am going to need the firepower.

My Homebrew Signature- Because I need one. If you use any of it, please share with me how it went!

On a Dragonlance-reading break. Surprise homebrew may still happen :P
            I now blog in here

Comment

The vampire abilities seem pretty tempting, they're good at doing what needs to be done. Dominate has direct applications of mind control as opposed to all the extraneous stuff you wouldn't need with the mind Arcana. It's cheaper, too. But Mind is less confined.

Question about things like Cruac. Normally when you get a dot of Cruac, you get an associated ritual with it. Would I need dots of Cruac to use these rituals? Or would I just get the rituals, at cost, on their own and use them that way?

Also you didn't really get into Renown but that tends to be the power stat of most werewolf abilities, I'd assume it's 1, as well? Could it be raised, as Renown had similarities with Cruac, each dot giving you a free Gift Facet.
              Last edited by nofather; 02-04-2017, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Just the rituals, without the Cruac is what I'd say right now. Same with Gifts: Assume the requirements for getting anything are gone, except for things that build upon each other (e.g. you cannot have Dominate 4 without Dominate 3) and any supernatural power stat that might figure into the roll is set at 1.

Comment

Okay, one last thing, related to Gifts. Shadow Gifts come in groups of five facets, but not sequentually. 'Opening' the Gift takes 3 Experience and gives you a facet, but buying another facet of the Gift costs 2 Experiences. Would you suggest an entire Gift, all five facets, costs 3+2+2+2+2? And just getting 1 would cost 3? Or 2, being effectively 'in Gift.'?
                  Last edited by nofather; 02-04-2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Intelligence 3, Wits 2, Resolve 2
                    Strength 2, Dexterity 2, Stamina 2
                    Presence 2, Manipulation 3, Composure 3

Animalism 1
                    Cunning 1 (Skin Thief)
                    Honor 1 (Luna's Embrace)
                    Mind 2

Academics 2
                    Investigation 1
                    Medicine 1
                    Occult 1
                    Politics 1
                    Science 1

Brawl 1
                    Drive 1
                    Survival 1
                    Weaponry 1

Animal Ken 1
                    Empathy (Reading Emotions) 3
                    Expression (Acting) 3
                    Intimidation 1
                    Persuasion 1
                    Subterfuge (Hiding Emotions) 2

Interdisciplinary Specialty (Acting) 1
                    Resources 1
                    Sympathetic 2
                    Tell (Second Skin) 3

So, I realized it would be more exp efficient to take Second Skin and Skin Thief instead of Protean since the third dot was the only one I cared about, and a fox form is the most important. Not sure if it's cheating to take Tell with my free Merit dots though. Also went with Mind 2 instead of Auspex since Mind can do pretty much all the same stuff and more and I wouldn't have enough experience to get Auspex and another Arcanum. Luna's Embrace was a must-have.

I would trade all of the above for Time 3, but that's what I'd go for given the two dots in Arcana and no freebie template ability constraints.

EDIT: Ok, seeing that Renown is free, that might change things. That frees up 4 Experiences, so I might get some Auspex and Fate instead of Mind. Depending on how you want to rule Wolf Gifts and Tells.
                    Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-04-2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Query, why is a fox form the most important?

Comment

@ Gifts: I think it would be more in tune with the rest of the exercise to consider all gifts "open", thus making buying a whole gift 5 x 2 xp.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                          Query, why is a fox form the most important?
                          Just my favorite animal.

EDIT: To clarify, I meant that it's the most important animal form for me to have not that having a fox form is the most important supernatural power for me to have. That would go to time travel, but since it requires Time 3, the next highest priority power to me would be Luna's Embrace.
                          Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-04-2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Interesting.

So I went over vampire first, but ended up switching to Beast because some of their abilities are basically '1-3 of vampire Disciplines, cheaper.' And because I'm a family man, Life is pretty indispensible, but I would hardly be true to myself if I didn't pick some werewolf Gifts.

I had a lot of points to deal with, in the end this is what I got.

Life 3, for 12 Experiences. Oops, had to cut that down to Life 2. The remaining Experiences will go into Hunt of Fire and Ice and Cloak of Mist and Haze.

From Beast I'd take From the Shadows, Mimir's Wisdom, and Basilisk's Touch, for 9 Experiences.

Unfortunately this only leaves me room for three Gifts. Command Artifice and All Doors Locked are necessities, then I'd go with Unmake for my last 2 Experiences. Because you never know.
                            Last edited by nofather; 02-05-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Is it cheating to make Mystery Cults and load them with supernatural merits? I would assume so.

Comment

Working...
                              X