[Collaboration] Bring My Nightmare To Life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Collaboration] Bring My Nightmare To Life

This is a creative exercise thread. Here is how it works: I'll start off by mentioning something that truly scares me. The next poster will create a Horror (the kind that uses Potency and Dread Powers) based on the fear I mentioned, and say what scares them in turn. This process will be repeated, creating a chain of homebrewed Horrors. Feel free to stretch the limits of the Horror template. If you prefer, you can create a Brief Nightmare instead of a full Horror. If you think your strongest fear is hard to turn into a Horror, you can mention other fears.

Since the subject involves real-life personal fears, please consider spoiler tagging particularly graphic content or common PTSD triggers.

Here are some of my fears. Pick whichever you want.

1) The loss of control. This covers everything from mind control and having my body transformed against my will, to mundane slavery and peer pressure.
    2) The loss of identity. Closely linked to the first fear, this involves being forgotten by those I care about, being treated like a subhuman, and abandoning my principles for survival or convenience.
    3) Crippling diseases of the body and mind.
    4) The possibility that someone who treats me as a friend is actually my enemy.
    5) Isolation and sensory deprivation.
    6) Losing the will to strive for a better tomorrow and just doing the minimal to stay alive.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Well when you give us a list, how can we not try to hit multiple at once?

The Unnamed
    The Unnamed is something that is more often discovered by someone than it seeking them. A pathetic, lonely shade of a being, all it wants is for someone to give it a name and a purpose. Once given, the Unnamed becomes bound to them, an eager servant and invisible friend. But still, it hungers - and not for mere meat, but for the metaphysical energy bound up in connections (ie. Sympathetic Connections like in Mage). First it nibbles at its keeper's weaker, near forgotten links, draining the bonds until acquaintances and colleagues become strangers. Then it moves to larger fare. By the time their "master" realizes something is amiss, they are often nearly alone in the world, only knowing and known to what is most important to them... before that is lost too. Unless driven off, the Unnamed will consume even their keeper's connection to even being noticed themselves - turning them into a living ghost, deprived of association to anything even themselves. And so desperately hungry for some contact, they'll do anything once someone finds them...
    Mental Attributes: Int 2, Wit 2, Res 4
    Physical Attributes: Str 4, Dex 4, Sta 4
    Social Attributes: Pre 1, Man 5, Com 1
    Physical Skills: Athletics 4, Brawl 4, Larceny 4, Stealth 5
    Social Skills: Expression 4, Subterfuge 4
    Merits: Pusher 1, Sympathetic 2, Occultation 3 (as the Mage merit), Iron Stamina 3
    Potency: 4
    Willpower: 9
    Virtue: Obedience
    Vice: Recognition
    Aspirations: To fulfill the namer's wishes, To Feed upon social connections
    Initiative: 5
    Defense: 6
    Size: 5
    Speed: 13
    Health: 9
    Bans: Cannot harm someone who knows the current name they have been given.
    Dread Powers: Know Soul, Strange Appetite*, Hunter's Senses, Twilight Entity*

Twilight Entity: As the Cryptid Adaptation, controlled subtype (creature can spend 1 Willpower to shift in and out of Twilight).
    The Unnamed seems to shift into a "phase" of Twilight not used by any known ephemera - only those powers which grant total perception of Twilight are capable of detecting it.

Strange Appetite: The Horror is capable of feeding upon something more metaphysical than mere matter. Whether it is mental energy (Willpower), personal knowledge (Skill Ranks), interpersonal connections, or something even more esoteric, the creature can take that aspect from a victim and feed upon it (satisfying their feeding Aspiration, restoring Willpower proportional to what they took, at minimum 1 Willpower).
    The Unnamed feeds upon Sympathetic Connections (M:tA 2E, pg. 172), reducing how two things relate to each other. For each point of the strength of the connection (equivalent to its Connection Withstand rating), the Unnamed gains that much Willpower when it "eats" the connection.

As for my fears/Nightmares? Those I care about coming to harm, and being unable to do anything about it are a common feature.
    Last edited by Vent0; 02-12-2017, 02:22 PM.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
      Well when you give us a list, how can we not try to hit multiple at once?

(On phone and will elaborate with stats and more detail later)
      The Unnamed

(Stat block)
      The Unnamed is something that is more often discovered by someone than it seeking them. A pathetic, lonely shade of a being, all it wants is for someone to give it a name and a purpose. Once given, the Unnamed becomes bound to them, an eager servant and invisible friend. But still, it hungers - and not for mere meat, but for the metaphysical energy bound up in connections (ie. Sympathetic Connections like in Mage). First it nibbles at its keeper's weaker, near forgotten links, draining the bonds until acquaintances and colleagues become strangers. Then it moves to larger fare. By the time their "master" realizes something is amiss, they are often nealy alone in the world, only knowing and know too what is most important to them. Before that is lost too. Unless driven off, the Unnamed will consume even their keeper's connection to being noticed themselves - turning them into a living ghost, deprived of association to anything even themselves. And so desperately hungry for some contact, they'll do anything once someone finds them...
      Awesome post. What's your fear? Feel Free to add that to your post via editting and I'll edit mine to include your Horror.

For the following poster, one thing I have as a nightmare trigger in my lucid dreams are dark pitch black thresholds. It could be a doorway or a line of trees, but if it is pitch black and I pass through it the lucid dream becomes a nightmare. I know this in the dream and have been terrified of such boundaries/portals. The only way I've ever been able to pull back control of the nightmare to a lucid dream is take on the role of something monstrous and fight very very hard against what is attempting to scare me. I still wake up tired but mad or annoyed instead of afraid with hazy irrational thinking. It has taken many years of lucid dreaming to get to this point of dealing with that one nightmare trigger.

To be clear it isn't the dark that scares me, I actually like the dark, it's pitch black threshold that scare me because what they signify in my dream (a lucid dream becoming a nightmare)
      Last edited by Pale_Crusader; 02-09-2017, 11:30 AM.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.” ~ Aristophanes
      "Virescit Vulnere Virtus" ~ Stewart Clan Motto

Comment

Originally posted by Pale_Crusader View Post

Awesome post. What's your fear? Feel Free to add that to your post via editting and I'll edit mine to include your Horror.

For the following poster, one thing I have as a nightmare trigger in my lucid dreams are dark pitch black thresholds. It could be a doorway or a line of trees, but if it is pitch black and I pass through it the lucid dream becomes a nightmare. I know this in the dream and have been terrified of such boundaries/portals. The only way I've ever been able to pull back control of the nightmare to a lucid dream is take on the role of something monstrous and fight very very hard against what is attempting to scare me. I still wake up tired but mad or annoyed instead of afraid with hazy irrational thinking. It has taken many years of lucid dreaming to get to this point of dealing with that one nightmare trigger.

To be clear it isn't the dark that scares me, I actually like the dark, it's pitch black threshold that scare me because what they signify in my dream (a lucid dream becoming a nightmare)
        Dibs on this one, I think I could do it well, though it's going to take me a little while to get it written up.

For the next person, one thing that has always deeply disturbed me is the monster that hides in plain sight. The idea that at any moment, something horrible could be standing just behind me, or at the very periphery of my vision, or blending in amongst the scenery. That I could be completely oblivious to something utterly wrong that's right there in front of me. For a good example, see the first season of Marble Hornets. Between multiple episodes where the Operator was in the background the whole time, and the overwhelming stalker vibe from Tothearc, that series scared the crap out of me when it was first coming out.

Don't just do the Slenderman as a Horror though, he's too played out.
        Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-09-2017, 05:01 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          Dibs on this one, I think I could do it well, though it's going to take me a little while to get it written up.

For the next person, one thing that has always deeply disturbed me is the monster that hides in plain sight. The idea that at any moment, something horrible could be standing just behind me, or at the very periphery of my vision, or blending in amongst the scenery. That I could be completely oblivious to something utterly wrong that's right there in front of me. For a good example, see the first season of Marble Hornets. Between multiple episodes where the Operator was in the background the whole time, and the overwhelming stalker vibe from Tothearc, that series scared the crap out of me when it was first coming out.

Don't just do the Slenderman as a Horror though, he's too played out.
          Here you go.

The Unseen Imp

Due to its powers, this Horror’s appearance is unknown. It earns its name from its trickster habits, which can range from confusing and aggravating to maddening and lethal. Its preferred type of “game” is to gaslight people and set up traps while staying out of sight. It occasionally hints that it is nearby with things like a barely audible, vaguely childlike laughter, various types of tiny markings and an oily, chilly breeze.

The Imp will stalk and investigate the homes and workplaces of potential victims for days to understand their routine and blind spots. It likes to start small, such as by stealing and hiding objects, or making someone show up late to appointments. It gradually moves onto worse things, like leaving slippery puddles on stairs, sabotaging cars, causing gas leaks and sowing distrust.

The Imp tends to become attached to smart or paranoid people, as they provide the most fun. However, it possesses a strange sense of fair play. It leaves behind cryptic clues which resemble children’s games and puzzles. These provide hints toward how it will strike next, but never when or where. If someone can predict the next attack and force it into a spot from which it can’t escape, then it will consider the victim to have won, and promptly vanish.

Virtue: Mischievous
          Vice: Childish
          Aspiration: Have Fun By Tricking People

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 4, Wits 6, Resolve 4
          Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 6, Stamina 4
          Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 6, Composure 4

Skills: Athletics 3, Crafts 2 (Traps), Empathy 2, Intimidation 3, Investigation 3, Larceny 3, Occult 1, Persuasion 2, Stealth 5 (Scuttering, Plain Sight), Subterfuge (Trickster) 4

Merits: Danger Sense (Advanced), Eidetic Memory, Encyclopedic Knowledge (Subterfuge), Trained Observer 3, Sleight Of Hand, Untouchable

Potency: 4
          Willpower: 12
          Size: 1
          Initiative: 10
          Defense: 9
          Speed: 28 (Species Factor 15)
          Health: 5
          Weapons/Attacks
          Traps And Trickery [Variable Damage Bonus; 11 dice]

Ban: Uses Variable Form reflexively at no cost if directly observed, and must remain in object form as long as observation continues. While in this state, it is limited to using its Influences, but reflexively regains mobility once observation stops.

Dread Powers: Chameleon Horror, Elusive*, Gauntlet Cloak, Influence (Accidents 2, Paranoia 1), Numen (Hallucination, Left Handed Spanner, Seek, Sign, Speed, Telekinesis*), Reality Stutter, Shadowed Soul*, Snare, Wall Climb, Variable Form (Everyday Small Objects)

*Elusive: Creatures with this Dread Power only ever appear on camera as a blurred silhouette of their actual shape. Humanoid monsters can easily be mistaken for humans or upright bears, while unusually large creatures blend into the scenery. Humans have a hard time remembering exact detail about creatures they encounter. Rolls to accurately describe or recall such events are made at a –3 modifier.

*Shadowed Soul: As per the Atavism (Beast: The Primordial, Pages 129-130). The Imp is considered to always be at Low Satiety, and can mimic the Satiety Expenditure effect by spending 2 Willpower points.

*Telekinesis: The Imp has fine motor control when using this Numen, and often uses it to prepare traps from a distance without having to move.
          Last edited by GibberingEloquence; 02-10-2017, 01:53 AM.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

Sorry for breaking the flow, But let me just say that I absolutely LOVE this idea. I'll contribute once I get home from work and crack open a book to make a Horror (side note: Where do I find other examples of Horrors?)

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Originally posted by xiongrey View Post
              Sorry for breaking the flow, But let me just say that I absolutely LOVE this idea. I'll contribute once I get home from work and crack open a book to make a Horror (side note: Where do I find other examples of Horrors?)

Chronicles of Darkness Core for the printed rules. Reighnhell's thread, The Horror Show is full of great examples.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

As I think I've said before, very little actually scares me. And I don't have nightmares when I sleep (other than the times I've tried lucid dreaming - I get the lucidity, but not the control).

That being said, full body costumes? The kind that mascots wear, or really comprehensive cosplay? They scare the piss out of me, and I'm not sure why. The funny thing is that it only happens when they're right there - Five Night at Freddy's and similar don't even spook me.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                  As I think I've said before, very little actually scares me. And I don't have nightmares when I sleep (other than the times I've tried lucid dreaming - I get the lucidity, but not the control).

That being said, full body costumes? The kind that mascots wear, or really comprehensive cosplay? They scare the piss out of me, and I'm not sure why. The funny thing is that it only happens when they're right there - Five Night at Freddy's and similar don't even spook me.
                  You did mention before how you always come back to the theme of facelessness...

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

You did mention before how you always come back to the theme of facelessness...
                    Looks like this is the latest nightmare posted with the exception of OP's other ideas. I'll tackle this one.

The Mask of Rhine

The Earliest Appearance of The Mask of Rhine was during a prolonged engagement between a Gaul Military Commander and the Roman Empire Though most who know of the Mask agree that it is much older than that. Before the engagement the commander was known as a good and kind man and a great leader. However the more prolonged the engagement got, the more the commander changed. Written accounts of this time speak of how the man lost himself in the battles. Curiously not a single text speaks the commanders name. The tactics employed by the commander became ever more brash and bizarre till near the end of the engagement when the commander resorted to scare tactics, donning masks and suits of wool and appearing to the enemy soldiers on the horizon to fuel fear. It was during the night that the commander's forces decimated the opposing army but not without losing the life of all but three people: The commander, his second in command, and the enemy commander. Of the three, only the second in command was found, barely alive. He didn't live long but he did tell of how the Commander wore the mask and fur to the battle and when the battle was over he struck the second in command several times without a word before walking toward the Rhine river with the enemy commander. Neither of them where ever seen again despite vigorous searches.

Despite the name, The Mask of Rhine is not an object. The Mask of Rhine is resembles more closely an incorporeal living idea bound to the physical than an object. The Mask of Rhine inhabits anything that is used to conceal or obscure an identity or intentions. The Mask is transmitted between forms when in proximity of an entity takes an interest in anything that The Mask can inhabit. Once a victim takes interest in an object, The Mask inhabits that object and increases the desire of that object. Once inhabiting an object, The Mask and the object become one and the same. The first time The Mask is worn by a new victim, The Mask begins hollowing out and devouring all Desires save for the desire to wear The Mask. The process takes time and the behavior of the victim will become erratic and bizarre till the only thing left to the victim is to wear The Mask of Rhine. Once this occurs, The Mask, the object, and the victim become one and the same. No one knows really what occurs after this other than that the victim, The Mask, and at least one other person will disappear and never be heard from again though some claim to have seen them out of corners of their eye.

Those who know of The Mask of Rhine believe that The Mask takes the victim to a place that The Mask can again find more victims. Others believe that the souls of the victims are eventually swallowed up into The Mask or become trapped in the object becoming new Masks of Rhine. Most, though, believe there is only one Mask of Rhine and it is always hungry.

Virtue: Patient
                    Vice: Hunger
                    Aspiration: To devour desire

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 4, Resolve 3
                    Physical Attributes: Strength *, Dexterity *, Stamina *
                    Social Attributes: Presence 7, Manipulation 6, Composure 5

Skills: Crafts 5 (Masks), Investigation 3, Stealth 3 (in plain sight), Survival 3, Animal Ken 1, Empathy 4 (desire), Persuasion 6 , Subterfuge 5 (hiding identity)

Merits: Danger Sense (discovery), Patient, Trained Observer, Anonymity

Willpower: 8
                    Size: 2*
                    Initiative: 5+*
                    Defense: 4/*
                    Speed: * (Species Factor *)
                    Health:
                    - Victim: *-2
                    - Object: Durability *+2, Structure *+3

*Dependent on object/victim inhabited

Ban: Cannot speak even when inhabiting a victim. (though can "talk" to victim in the form of using influences which can manifest even stronger in dreams if sleeping around The Mask)
                    Ban: Cannot inhabit any object that potential victims do not see as related to identity. (sticks to highly inhabited places to increase victim size till one or more victims have been hollowed out)

Dread Powers: Chameleon Horror, Hunter's Senses, Hypnotic Gaze, Influence 5 (identity), Influence 3 (Desire), Madness and Terror, Soul Thief, Remove Identity**, Inhabit Identity ***

**Remove Identity: For every 12 total hours spent in the presence of The Mask of Rhine may roll Wits+Persuasion in an extended contended action roll versus resolve composure to remove Pieces of the victims identity to make way for it's own. Total number of successes needed must equal 15 in excess of the victim's successes. Each successive time this is done, the number of successes needed to be counted as a success is decreased by one. Each success incurs a cumulative -1 die penalty to the victim's defense. Once the needed number of successes is dropped to zero, no further roles are necessary and the victim gains the "No Identity" permanent condition.

Bonuses:
                    If the victim is looking at The Mask: +1 for each hour the victim examines The Mask.
                    If the victim is Wearing The Mask: Rolls gain the Rote quality.
                    If the victim wants to wear The Mask (through influence manipulation or otherwise): +2
                    If the victim is studying The Mask: +3
                    If the victim is barely in the room: -1-3 (depending on proximity)
                    If the victim Has displayed a direct distaste for The Mask: -2-5 (depending on severity)
                    If the victim is not paying attention to The Mask: -1

***Inhabit Identity: The Mask of Rhine is able to inhabit any object under the following purviews: Hides/alters identity. The Mask needs to be within sight distance of the selected object and the belief of potential victims must consider the object as under the purviews.

EDIT: Mine:
                    I have a few, reasonable or not, that I can place here but here's the one i'll mention and save the rest for later.

I've always been pretty terrified of losing control of myself. Like it's not something that every really happens but it's on my mind regardless. What I mean is the slow deterioration of control over my mind. Like dementia in old age or similar things you see in horror movies where a main character isn't quite mentally well and they don't have any way to curb it. I'm not sure what terrifies me more, the idea of being conscious of it all or not being conscious of it.

It's kind of an irrational fear but it's still at the back of my mind every time I forget I did something that everyone says I did (like go see a concert... you'd think I'd remember that and it terrifies me that I don't), or even as simple as holding a remote and next time I look I'm no longer holding the remote and left it somewhere. I don't drink much anymore because of things like this scaring me.
                    Last edited by xiongrey; 02-13-2017, 09:06 PM.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

I have a Beast player who wanted something similar to this for his Lair, and I think the serendipity was too good to be true :P

Shadow People (Major Trait)
                      A Beast's Lair is connected to the vast Primordial Dream, and through that dreamscape can occasionally come visitors from elsewhere. The past, the future, from another world altogether, where they come from is up to you when making your Lair. Wherever they come from, there's rarely more than (Lair dots) individual Shadow People in a Chamber at a time. Still, everyone who encounters these Shadow People must make a Resolve + Composure roll (with a cumulative -1 penalty for each Shadow Person directly seen in the past day, or hour spent in their presence) or gain the persistent Amnesia Condition. Those so changed feel a loss, grasping at the threads of thought now given to the Primordial Dream, and each required roll may cause yet more memories to be unstitched. Further failures may ultimately bring the persistent Broken or Fugue Conditions, as appropriate for the memories lost, break other Conditions, lose Merit or Skill dots, or suffer other such penalties at the Storyteller's discretion.

Shadow Person (Ephemeral Entity) <== These could be Brief Nightmares, though I'm not sure how to stat them quite how I want
                      Those who have lost all their memories to the Shadow People Major Lair Trait™ become Shadow People themselves, losing all attributes (and already having lost all Merits and Skills). They instead may make chance rolls to perform tasks outside of their routine, and have for vital statistics 1 Health. They act just as they did in life, before losing any memory, but can neither give nor receive any new information or ability. They will seek to enter the Primordial Dream, to drift to another Beast's Lair.

Shadow Person (Minion)
                      Concept: Empty Memory
                      Aspiration: Create more shadow people
                      Best Dice Pool: Social Interaction (5)
                      Worst Dice Pool: New Concepts (chance)
                      All Other Pools: 2
                      Willpower: 2 per scene
                      Dread Powers: Immortal, Discorporate, Reality Stutter

I'm personally wracked with horror over being lost. Not just left behind on a field trip, or losing my bearings in the woods, or something like that. Taken, or falling, coming to in a strange environment of leaves or rocks or whatever. Not knowing even the destination, just knowing that staying still isn't a good idea.
                      Last edited by Necrophear; 03-13-2017, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X