[Fanmade Dark Era] [Beast/Geist] The Forest That Weeps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    I think that while exploring crossover ideals is awesome- it is better to focus first around the core gamelines of the Era (that is, Beast and Geist). At projects like this, it is way too easy to lose yourself in the world building, that eventually you forget to actually have a solid writeup and instead ends up with a collection of notes. In sort, while exploring Mummy could be interesting, I think it to the end of the project together with the rest of the gamelines. Right now, you have a solid vision of the Era, so I recommend to not think too much about other monsters. I hope it doesn't sounds like a lecture or something- but I just really want to see that Era's finale form already :P
    Yup, that's why I fully intend to leave it last. There's already a lot of stuff to do and Beast and Geist must have the biggest part in it. But you are right indeed

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

For the vampires, the section on the Ventrue reminded me of the Mumvuri that LostLight worked out for Age of Azar. Heck, the Strix worship isn't too far off from the 'symbiotic' relationshipthe Lightning Birds had with their Shiri.

Changeling and Mage probably have the most potential after the two highlighted splats. I'm looking forward to seeing more material on them.

EDIT: Would Mokele mbembe happen to be the Apex for the Free State of Congo? Perhaps even a Beast Incarnate? Or would it be the river spirit he considers Kin that is influencing the Hive?
      Last edited by Deionscribe; 02-13-2017, 04:17 AM.

"My Homebrew Hub"
      Age of Azar
      The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Originally posted by Deionscribe View Post

EDIT: Would Mokele mbembe happen to be the Apex for the Free State of Congo? Perhaps even a Beast Incarnate? Or would it be the river spirit he considers Kin that is influencing the Hive?
        He is, as I wrote in the index. Not an Incarnate, but close. Anakim Tyrant with Lair 10, without any human or supernatural bonds aside the Congo River Kinship. Mokele is old, really old, and all those that were a part of his human life are long gone. He's some sort of distant sovereign that rarely appears but that no Beast in the area can ignore. He was about to focus on becoming an Incarnate and leave his mortal identity behind for good, but then the Westerners arrived.

Right now, he has to decide whether to become more active in the Begotten community and do something about what is going on, or the keep up with his plan, become an Incarnate and leave the problem to others.

As a side note, he's a pygmy. Not that it matters much, but I do like the contrast between his human form and the colossal Horror. Since he has the Looming Presence Atavism as well, the ending result is something utterly uncanny to look at.
        Last edited by Cinder; 02-13-2017, 08:28 AM.

Comment

Next update might take a little, because I'm taking plenty of notes from the books for the history chapter while re-reading all the Dark Eras to get an idea on how to write it and deliver while still being interesting.

Generally speaking, I'm adding things here and there in the Google document, but will only post here when a part is complete.

While we're at it, somebody read the fiction? If so, what do you think of it?

Comment

A little note about the Apex; the Hive trait and how it manifests can be quite evocative. Likewise, the Legend of one of the Begotten effects their Lair.

I am not familiar enough with the area and era to be much help, but I am happy to help however i can.

Thoughts ripple out, birthing others

Comment

Originally posted by FallenEco View Post
              A little note about the Apex; the Hive trait and how it manifests can be quite evocative. Likewise, the Legend of one of the Begotten effects their Lair.

I am not familiar enough with the area and era to be much help, but I am happy to help however i can.
              Speaking of the Hive Trait, perhaps it's either Currents or Flooded? To reflect Mokele's connection to the Congo River's spirit?

"My Homebrew Hub"
              Age of Azar
              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Speaking of the Hive Trait, perhaps it's either Currents or Flooded? To reflect Mokele's connection to the Congo River's spirit?
                I'd go with Flooded. There's a river of some sort in all Lairs in Congo, and all are tributaries to the great river that flows in Mokele mbembe's Lair

Comment

Hmm. What about the Anakim's other Traits? You gort any of them worked out?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                  Age of Azar
                  The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

Hmm. What about the Anakim's other Traits? You gort any of them worked out?
                    Working on them, just done a first draft of the Traits with no write-up, nor any Kinship Nightmares. I'm saving the biggest part the Supernatural stuff for later, since it's arguably more entertaining to write, but I still did this to have a picture of what Mokele mbembe can do in mind. He's not the sort of thing you're supposed to fight, but rather a heavy NPCs to play around;

Name: Mokele mbembe’s human name is something the world has forgotten He answers to the name people gave to his Beast’s identity and none other. If someone were to discover his true name somehow, they’ll manage to get his attention for sure.

Legend: Unstoppable. Mokele mbembe is more furtive than his myth would suggest but, when something stands in his path, it will be removed. Quickly. If Mokele mbembe decides to do something, there’s not much other people or Beasts can do. By this point, he’s something more akin to a natural disaster than a living creature and he tends to look at those who annoy him in the same way a man would look at ants that infest his home. He’s not prone to anger nor quick-tempered, but you don’t want to see his bad side.

Life: Distant. Mokele mbembe does not not interact much. Even the Begotten rarely see him, and when they do, the old Beast is never eager to communicate. Mokele mbembe prefers to remain alone: he’s so old that all the people from his mortal life are now dead and he has no known Family ties. He rules over the river, but he’s a detached king that prefers to stay in the background. If left by himself, Mokele mbembe will only observe, it's up to others to persuade him to action.

Family: Anakim

Hunger: Power

Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 8
                    Physical Attributes: Strength 10, Dexterity 6, Stamina 10
                    Social Attributes: Presence 9, Manipulation 2, Composure 9

Mental Skills: Academics 2, Craft 2, Enigmas 4, Investigation 4, Medicine 2, Occult 4,
                    Physical Skills: Athletics 8 , Brawl 7, Larceny 1,Stealth 3, Survival 7, Weaponry 1
                    Social Skills: Animal Ken 4, Empathy 2, Intimidation 6, Persuasion 1,

Merits: Common Sense, Demolisher (3), Danger Sense, Direction Sense, Direction Sense (Advanced), Direction Sense (Epic), Eidetic Memory, Eidetic Memory (Advanced), Fame (3), Fame (Advanced, 3), Fist of Nightmares, Fleet of Foot (2), Guilty Pleasures (Breaking Boats), Indomitable, Iron Skin (2), Iron Skin (Advanced 2), Iron Skin (Epic), Iron Will, Killer Instinct (3), Killer Instinct (Advanced 3), Patient, Fighting Style: Relentless Assault (5), Small-Framed, Trained Observer (3), True Friend

Willpower: 10

Lair: 10 (Currents, Extreme Heat, Flooded, Stinging, Heavy, Engulfing, Suffocating)

Atavisms: Cyclopean Strength, Dragonfire (Breath of the River)*, Hearth of the Ocean, Limb From Limb, Looming Presence, Mimir’s Wisdom, Monster From the Deep, Relentless Hunter, Titanic Blow, Unbreakable

Nightmares: All Your Teeth Are Falling Out (Jungle Fever), Everything You Do Is Worthless, Run Away, You Are Alone,

*I'll write later what it is supposed to do. Merely a modified version of Dragonfire

As I said, he's big, both literally and narratively.
                    Last edited by Cinder; 02-14-2017, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Part 1 of the History Chapter is done. Let me know what you think of it, I'd like to know whether it works or not
                      • History
                      By the second half of the 19th, the powerful kingdoms that once existed in Congo are no more. Signs of their existence can still be found and their legacy survives, but they are a thing of the past nevertheless. Most of the people live in isolated villages, each one a culture of its own. A man is born in his village, lives in the same places his ancestors lived and is buried there. Travelling through the jungle means having to face dangers any man would rather avoid. The people still find a way to communicate, though: one thousand and five hundred years before the invention of the Morse code, the people of Congo have developed a system of drums that allows any village to speak with others. The drums carry tales of life, death, warnings and all sorts of informations. The Europeans will later wonder how the locals will always be aware of their coming, but with this method message can travel four hundred miles in twenty four hours. More than enough to warn your neighbour of danger, not always enough to save him.

At this time, there are two resources that people want out of Congo. The first is ivory, which is plentiful. The Congolese have used it for years as an ornament, but they don’t give it the same valor other people do, meaning it’s easy to buy it around here. The other resource is slaves. Arab slave traders, whether they come from North-East or sail through the river from the island of Zanzibar, travel from village to village, buying ivory, people and other goods from the chiefs. It won’t be long before the slavers realize that raiding a village, enslave its inhabitants and loot it is way easier than having to negotiate with those chiefs. One of them, Tippo Tip, a Zanzibar man born from an African family that converted to Islam, will become so notorious because of this tactic that his name would equal both to hate and fears for many years. That is, before his legacy is made irrelevant compared to what the whites will do.

A Piece of the Cake

For the Western World, the empty spaces on the African maps are slowly being filled. Year after year, expedition after expedition, the explorers discover new places and give them their names. Colonies, on the other hand, are not a good deal as they used to be in the past. To create a colony in a distant country requires huge amount of money, money that often is not worth the effort. The free market is now the business model most countries embrace, a model in which huge colonies with a single owner feel outdated. Still, this does not stop the European nations from trying, for a different reason than the economic one: nationalism. “The colonial adventure” is seen as a way to obtain prestige and glory for a country. Less dangerous and potentially humiliating than a war, colonies in the latter 19th are born out of a combination of cultural, historical and economical factor. The great nations of Europe are slowly becoming the owners of new lands, meaning that the more is discovered, the less there is left.

It was in this context the Leopold II grew up. The second king of the young nation of Belgium, a little country that was created to act as a neutral zone between more powerful (and belligerent) nations, Leopold is not like his father. Leopold wants more. Being the king in a constitutional monarchy makes him feel little, powerless. He feels that if he wants to become something more. to leave a legacy, he needs a colony. The people of his country show no such aspiration, feeling that they need to focus on their young nation before dreaming of distant ones. Not that this stops Leopold: the young king summons explorers to his court, speaks with diplomats and discusses with everyone, willing to listen or not, about his dreams about a colony. Leopold does not want to miss his chance to get “a slice of that magnificent African cake”, a chance that will come with the Henry Morton Stanley.

The famous English explorer has just returned from an expedition on the Congo River. The man narrates the feat as a triumph over the adversities and the brutes, but in truth he has barely survived. Still, the news of his achievement reach Leopold which, in turn, approaches Stanley. Leopold has, by this point, created a philanthropic organisation, the International African Association, whose goals are both to explore the Dark Continent and to protect the natives from the slavers and civilize them. Leopold asks Stanley to return to Congo in an official mission and navigate the country in His name. In truth, the Association is merely a facade for a private holding company. The true tasks Leopold gives Stanley is to claim the land, with all means necessary.

Stanley, on his part, complies. He travels through Congo again, this time financed not by a journal but by a king, and speaks with all the chiefs he can find. He does not understand many are hostile to him, willfully ignoring the fact that the man he uses as a guide, the aforementioned Tippo Tip, is probably the most infamous man in the country, but still, he is successful. Stanley and his men talk to the chiefs and make them sign treaties written in languages they don’t speak which details deals they don’t understand. People are payed nothing in order to sell huge swathes of land. It does not matter: it’s enough to give a semblance of legitimacy to the whole operation.

Meanwhile, in Europe, Leopold his doing his own share of work. Appealing both to the intellectuals and the nationalists of all the Western countries, Leopold manages somehow to convince the whole world to officially approve the acquisitions he’s making. He manages to do so, helped by the army of diplomats and agents he enrolls to promote this cause. Ultimately, his remarkable intellect and ability to persuade people notwithstanding, the king obtains what he wants because he makes a long series of promises. To his own country, Leopold assures that the colonial enterprise will not require any money from the people of Belgium.

To the other nations, Leopold promises even more.

First of all, that he will fight slavery and the Arab trade of slaves in all his shapes. Strange as this sounds, the European and American intellectual panorama is strongly against slavery by the time Leopold sets his sight on Congo. The dignity and equality of the Africans is, of course, still a distant thing but, as whole, the popular opinion is that slavery is a loathsome practice.

Secondly, Leopold assures all the countries that all sort of trades in Congo will work in a free market to which anyone would be able to become a part of without having to pay additional taxes. Another way to say every nation could take some profit out of Congo.

Lastly, but not less importantly, Leopold says to the real great powers of Europe that, in case he proved unable to financially support the operations in Congo, he would leave and let them divide the spoils. This in turn means that in case of bankruptcy, something which was extremely likely considering the kind of expense such a feat would require, the other nations could just take over the country and do as they please, with the added benefit of not having to bother anymore about building an infrastructure in such a harsh environment.

With such enticing promises to help his cause , Leopold finally obtains what he wants. While people from all around the world call him “philantrope” and “noble man of even more noble ideals”, Leopold II becomes the sole owner of most of the territories of the Congo Basin. On On May 29, 1885, the king names his new colony the Congo Free State.

By the end of his rule, Leopold will have broken all of his promises but, right now, he truly is the owner of Congo. The only one: the Congo Free State is not a Belgian colony. It all belongs to Leopold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Leopold’s Obsession

There are dozens of examples, tales and written proofs that, even since young age, Leopold’s was always obsessed by something. This obsession took the shape of the idea of obtaining a colony and Leopold dedicated all his strength, intellect and his personal heritage to satisfy it. Yet, even after becoming the ruler of the Congo Free State, Leopold still wanted more, as the constant strife with the neighbouring countries and absolutely arbitrary ideas of national boundaries can attest. It was as if the desire to obtain more land was a burning need that plagued Leopold’s life.

A hunger, if you want.

There's no actual clue that suggests that Leopold II is indeed a Beast but that does not stop the Begotten from discussing it. As the evidence that there's definitely something that is devouring the king from within, such persistent rumor begins to spread among those linked to the Primordial Dream. In the end, there's no way to know. Perhaps him being a Beast, probably one with Hunger for Hoard, would explain his action and motivate, at least partially his callousness. Perhaps it would be better than the alternative, where Leopold's crimes are born only from his human nature.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Last edited by Cinder; 02-17-2017, 09:17 AM.

Comment

You seem to be implying here that Leopold II is a Beast. And a Tyrant, at that. Alternatively, he could be one of the Seers of the Throne.

"My Homebrew Hub"
                        Age of Azar
                        The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

While I'm not sure about having Leopold as Beast (as I'm not a big fan of "Beethoven was an alien spy" trope), you do present it as an optional thing, so it is not much of a problem (after all, people may think that if Leopold is driven by unnatural Hunger, than it gives some excuse to his acts in Congo- just something to take into account when making a real life historic character into a literal monster). If the King is truly a supernatural being, I prefer it to be a Beast over a mage or another splat, as Beast is the gameline which features in that Era. Other than that, all good- nice writeup, and it is clear you have made your research. Keep it going

My Homebrew Signature

"And all our knowledge is, Ourselves to know"- An Essay on Man

I now blog in here

Comment

Originally posted by LostLight View Post
                            While I'm not sure about having Leopold as Beast (as I'm not a big fan of "Beethoven was an alien spy" trope), you do present it as an optional thing, so it is not much of a problem (after all, people may think that if Leopold is driven by unnatural Hunger, than it gives some excuse to his acts in Congo- just something to take into account when making a real life historic character into a literal monster). If the King is truly a supernatural being, I prefer it to be a Beast over a mage or another splat, as Beast is the gameline which features in that Era.
                            I'm not a fan of the trope either, I always find it clunky and feel like it undermines the power of the real events. But considering it's a Beast Era and the man truly was obsessed, I felt like throwing out the option, or at very least the idea that the Begotten of the era might have a rumor that says as much. To those who like the idea, I'd personally go with Hunger for Hoard.

Comment

What about his Family? Would it make sense that he is an Eshmaki, given the secrecy he exercised with regards to the territory of the Congo?

"My Homebrew Hub"
                              Age of Azar
                              The Kingdom of Yamatai

Comment

What about his Family? Would it make sense that he is an Eshmaki, given the secrecy he exercised with regards to the territory of the Congo?
                                Either that or Ugallu, for his tendency to always plan and be aware of everything that was going on, taking his chances to strike.

I changed the sidebar a bit, in order to clarify what it is about and what I'm implying with it

Comment

Working...
                                X