Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post
    Wow...well done!
    Thanks, I'm currently making preparations for the Beast and Geist part. I hope they'll turn out good in the end

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Got any ideas about the denizens of the Primordial Dream? Come here and let's share our nightmares together

We finally got pictures of Pluto. No Mi-Go in sight. Those bastards are clever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
      Thanks, I'm currently making preparations for the Beast and Geist part. I hope they'll turn out good in the end
      Beast: The Primordial rekindled my interest in the CoD, and so, uh yeah, a Beast Dark Era is, to me at least, pure awesomesauce.

A question, though: Insatiables, are they going to make an appearance?

Comment

Originally posted by Demigod Beast View Post

Beast: The Primordial rekindled my interest in the CoD, and so, uh yeah, a Beast Dark Era is, to me at least, pure awesomesauce.

A question, though: Insatiables, are they going to make an appearance?
        They will. Not a major one, a paragraph and a sample Insatiable, but I'm not gonna leave them out

Nightmares & Dreamscapes - Got any ideas about the denizens of the Primordial Dream? Come here and let's share our nightmares together

Comment

Beast isn't really my jam, but I can't help imagining a new Anakim Tyrant moving in who's a mashup of Tarzan and King Kong...

Comment

Not sure if either of those guys were from the Congo

Though it's an intriguing idea though

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I'm not dead but my PC is. I'll venture into the Underworld to bring it back but in the meantime writing stuff on a large scale is sadly not possible. Things that happen, sorry everyone

Comment

If you come back from Underworld, your Geist's Psyche will rise and show us better Sin Eaters section.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies Updates and System Hacks Hubs
                MtAw - Children of the Stars - aliens loving Legacy
                MtAw 2E - Illusionists of Truth - illusionists and magicians Legacy

Comment

Cinder, only sorta related to this, but what do you think of the book "The Poisonwood Bible", especially as inspirational literature for This Dark Era?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                    Cinder, only sorta related to this, but what do you think of the book "The Poisonwood Bible", especially as inspirational literature for This Dark Era?
                    You can get something out of it, but it's a different era. The book is set in the Sixties, long after the Congo Free State was gone. It's a good book, and I read it when doing my research but, strictly speaking, has not much to offer to this specific era.

It shows the consequences and impact the Free State had on Congo even in the following years and depicts living there in the Sixties in an interesting way, but my personal opinion is that it is a bit too distant from the colonial era to be of much use. Still a good read, though.

Comment

Finally back to work. It's 4 AM here and I don't have the energy to check this properly right now, but I'm posting it anyways because I'm glad to be back on this. Here you go people, beginning of the Beast chapter
                      • Horrors in the Darkness: Beast the Primordial
                      “The sight of it made the earth seem unearthly. They were accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there-- there you could look at a thing monstrous, beautiful, and free.”
                      Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

The descendants of the Dark Mother always had a strong presence in Congo. There was something the country that resonates deeply with the Begotten and fears they embody. Beasts tried to understand the reason behind this for years. Some, basing their opinion on fragments of ancient stories and even sparser archaeological evidences, insist that the Dark Mother visited the place many times during past eras. Others are of the idea that’s due to the fact that powerful Beasts have a tradition of being the Apex of the various Hives in Congo, inevitably shaping the astral reflection of the country in a way that facilitates the birth of new Beasts. Many theories, few real answers.

Perhaps the reason lies more to the fact that, until the end of the Congo Free State, civilization was something isolated. Not in the sense it was not there, it absolutely was, but even the great kingdoms of Congo were a conglomerations of towns and villages surrounded by vast expanses of wilderness. The moment you left the safety of your home, you entered a dark and hostile realm to which men did not belong to. Nature does not bind easily to mankind and in Congo this was true both to the Africans and the Westerners. The jungle does not care for the lives of the people that dare to venture inside it and it is something that men and women instinctively perceive. The oppressive atmosphere, the darkness and the knowledge that there are things hidden around you that can kill you with ease: there’s something in the jungle that triggers something in the mind of men, buried instincts and forgotten fears. The vast, unforgiving sea of trees is truly a place where man can lose themselves and catch glimpses of the lesson spawned by the Primordial Dream.

This is valid for all men, no matter the ethnic group to which they belong to. The Westerners that come to Congo find an environment that is not as easy to tame as they claim. No matter all the trading posts, railroads and steamboats, the truth is that outside each town, each village, each man is a singular reality surrounded by an unforgiving environment. Something that makes nightmares stir.

For years, the Beasts of Congo were born and died in this sort of reality. The narratives of the Primordial Dream left their mark on the lives of the Begotten. They could grow, they could build great families but at the same time they had to be wary of Heroes, which, intrinsically tied to Beasts as they are, arose with frequency. From a perspective centered on those touched by the Primordial Dream, Congo was a prolific but balanced homeland. A place where Beasts lived in great numbers but far from being the only example of this around the world.

The Congo Free State utterly shatters this balance. It is not because of the arrival of new people, new fears and the new monsters that something changes: it’s because of Leopold’s regime and its consequences. The actions of the humans spread a shroud of terror all over Congo to which the Begotten reacted instinctively. The chances to feed are now around every corner and many Beasts don’t think twice about it. Beasts grow strong, and this translates in a circle of fear the perpetuates itself. New Devourings happen daily, and new heroes are born constantly as a reaction both to the birth of Beasts and their actions.

It all goes downhill from there.

The monomyth acquires an almost tangible shape. Heroes and monsters, monster and heroes, all fighting each other. Even when it’s subverted or altered, the conflict between Beasts, Heroes, Insatiables and other denizens of the Primordial Dream is something that keeps growing. Each duel, each rivalry, inevitably becomes the source of new nightmares. What truly makes it unbearable though it’s the fact that the Congo Free State is already a nightmarish reality itself. The Begotten and the Heroes are part of a bigger picture and when things become so terrible, when the predominant emotion that burns in the mind of the inhabitants of Congo becomes nothing but fear in all his shapes, that the Primordial Dream begins to erupt in the real world.

As terrible and unseen phenomena begin to plague Congo, Beasts find themselves in a difficult situation, forced to try to find a balance for their Hungers and their Family in a place where the strength of the myths that give shape to their souls is both omnipresent and aggressive. Beasts old and young have to make decisions quickly and always watch their back. Some lose themselves to their Horror, others find themselves trapped in a narrative of conflict they can’t escape from, others gorge on fears until they completely shed the idea of trying to teach a lesson related to them, tragically becoming nothing more than meaningless monsters, drunk on power with no responsibilities.

In a way, the Congo Free State offers Beasts the opportunity to do as they want, but it’s a freedom that comes at high price.
                      Last edited by Cinder; 03-20-2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Currently busy reading stuff from the Dark Eras Companion, especially the Mutapa Empire chapter which, while not the same as Congo both for time window and exact position, will certainly prove helpful.

I'll probably change some things here and there from the plan I had in order to make my stuff fit. but I'm pleasantly surprised that quite a few of the ideas I had for certain aspects of the Chronicles of Darkness are not much different from what has been written there. Means I got something right, I hope

Comment

Working...
                        X