No announcement yet.

[Dark Eras] Wolf and Raven - Nine Realms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I got Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology from my partner and slowly reading it, I will return to the topic for few days now. First, let's look on the World Creation...

Gaiman points to stories telling that on the beginning there were only Niflheim and Muspelheim, with great Ginnungagap - Bottomless Abyss - between them. Niflheim was said to be made of mists and cold, land full of 11 poisons rivers. Mulspelheim is made of fire and lava, guarded by the lone Surtr. Then heat of Mulspelheim melted a bit of edge Niflheim, creating water that filed Ginnungagap and created Yamir and rest made into ice from what humanity was created.

Taking this in to CoD cosmology and we could see parallels like this:
    • Niflheim as 11 Rivers and Land of Cold sounds a very much like our modern Underworld. From Sundered World Dark Era we know know that in Neolithic Era Underworld was great ocean that only was becoming more and more dry, as to becoming underground realm of dead with only rivers in it. I could see here reverse cosmological order of process told in mortals myths - Underworld in CoD is end result of Niflheim and the great Ocean in Ginnungagap was it's first version. Mortals mixed ending with beginning of process. What's even more interesting here is that it would mean that humanity comes from Underworld, at least for Norse people...
    • As Helheim is said to come from Niflheim, it could be that Helheim is latest, third version of Underworld ( at least for Norse ) and Niflheim becoming only Anima Mundi shadow of it's previous incarnation, sustained in myths and legends of humans. Or that Niflheim is both Anima Mundi realm and older parts of Underworld that rest more civilized, filled with ghosts become Helheim. Portals ( Irisis ) in Astral realms to other realms are still the thing in CoD.
    • Mulspelheim with lone Surtr sounds to me as primal part of Anima Mundi, first realms of heat and fire that humanity and animals was afraid. Then we have nice correlation of Mulspelheim and Niflheim being both Anima Mundi realms.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Latest iteration of my take on Nine Realms, taking in consideration above ideas:
      1. Midgard: The world of humans. The physical/material/living world.
      2. Asgard: The world of the Aesir. Temenos Realms of myths and legends, where gods are always alive. Connected to some Underworld Domains, like Valhalla.
      3. Vanaheim: The home of the Vanir. The Primordial Dream, where the old gods dance with humanity's finest.
      4. Jotunheim: The home of the Jotunn. The Deep Shadow, from where giants come to feast on mortals.
      5. Alfheim: The home of the Elves. The Land of Bright Faerie, Everlasting Day, its natives glorious and terrible.
      6. Svartalfheim: The home of the Dwarves and Dark Elves. The Land of Dark Faerie, Everlasting Night, its natives wicked and terrible.
      7. Helheim: The home of the Dead. The Underworld, where Hel herself collects the forsaken and uncalled.
      8. Muspelheim: The home of the Fire Giants. Anima Mundi realm endless Fire - some Insatiables come from.
      9. Niflheim: The home of the Cold and Ice. Moment of endless Ice Insatiables come from. As part of Dream realms, it has Kinship with dead and some connection to Underworld - ending with some population of dead in realm itself, entering to Helheim. In previous eras it was proper Underworld, before creation of Helheim.
      10. Yggdrasil: The World-Yew. An Emanation connecting all of the above with a thousand Irises - Most of them are in Shadow Realm, so Uratha believe it's in 'Deep Shadow'.

Comment

Reading more on world creation and Yamir, I would assume that all Beasts think they are it's descendants, especially Ankim. Each Horror is modern giant, at least for Begotten. And as giants are relatives with Odyn...

Comment

More cosmology and crossover idea: If werewolves believe that Angerboda is their Mother of Wolves, beasts thinks that she is also their Dark Mother and all of them have anscestor connected to them. In Begotten myths, when Angerboda was killed by wolves, she become Horror, dark shade in Primordial Dream, and now all her children are only non-physical, living in Dreams only, looking for human bodies to carry them in the world.
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-23-2017, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X