No announcement yet.

[Steven Universe & Chronicles of Darkness] Homeworld Vs the World of Darkness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real question is whether or not they know about Earth's supernatural population.

Because if not... they're screwed. The only thing that helps them is numbers (and you know what they say about huge things...)

Werewolves can turn their tech into deathtraps. Changelings and Demons can splinter their fusions trivially. Mages can strike at their real bodies directly.

=---=

And there's always the nuclear option of turning everyone on the planet into Wolf-Blooded. Then they're all Sleepwalkers, so that Mages don't have to worry about Paradox/Dissonance/Quiescence.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Pretty good points. Given that they haven't been to Earth in thousands of years, and when they were there didn't seem particularly interested in humans, there's a pretty good chance they wouldn't know. There is the possibility that they may have learned about at least some of the supernaturals if they helped fight in the gem war.

Comment

Well, the first and possibly biggest problem with this for the CofD is that the Gems are almost totally united. Like Angels, all Gems are made with a purpose, and they seem to follow that purpose wholeheartedly. Not only is the CofD not united, half the creatures in it don't know a damn thing about the others, and wouldn't fully trust them if they did (especially if they did in most cases). So even from the onset the CofD won't be able to fully utilize the advantages it does have, at least not on a global scale.

Next is that while not all Gems are created to be combatants, their base strength and durability seem to be well above that of humans. Numbers also play a pretty big role here since they're generally going to outnumber the CofD pretty heavily, while also initially having access to more advanced tech.

Now, with that said, as far as we know they have nothing to protect themselves against attacks from Death/Spirit attuned states of Twilight or the Shadow. They might be able to defend themselves from Astral/Mind based Twilight states given what was shown in 'Here Comes a Thought' from the episode Mindful Education. So Werewolves and Spirit mages should be able to orchestrate attacks with relative impunity. And while we don't have their level of tech, pretty much all supernaturals have the ability to control (and even understand!) technology despite that. So given time CofD should be able to fairly quickly start reverse engineering Gem tech.

So generally, while I'd say that there are some Gems that just straight up outscale all player level characters in CofD (looking at you Lapis) most of the things that they're capable of at least some splat can mimic equally well if not better, and the flexibility and potency of some abilities (the Arcana) are so great that they can trump just about everything Homeworld has shown so far.

As for who would win, I'm still not sure. Homeworld should still easily have the numbers, but CofD powers are so varied and tricky I'm thinking the numbers advantage might not matter. Theoretically, given the need, every Mage in the world could come together and work feats of magic so great that there'd be nothing Homeworld could do.

Ah, this is taking me back to my Outskirts Battledome days. Sweet nostalgia.
        Last edited by Ashenrogue; 02-15-2017, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Man, what I wouldn't give to see an outright war between Homeworld and the CofD mages. That would be a war of gods. I also wonder if changelings could make some sort of deal with gem technology, or perhaps use existing deals to manipulate elements of it.

Comment

It's highly unethical but just because we can't control the True Fae doesn't mean we can't trade Changelings for their aid.
            Ok let's talk tactics, only three diamonds exist so our opening salvo could take them out if we plan it right. An other option is to hit them with Fate dooming them to fail in the conquest of Earth if that's possible.

Comment

That could work, but the diamonds seem to spend a lot of time apart. In an Earth invasion they would probably only send one or none, as they don't see humans as much of a threat. Fate magic could work, but if they can Withstand it then that could prove to be an issue, as their attributes are most likely much higher than a human's. The True Fae angle would probably work, but they also couldn't stay in our world for too long otherwise they would die (unless that changes in 2E), so we would either need deals to make us stronger, or summon them as the invasion is happening.

Comment

As I understand it Mummies wake up at full power, could we arrange for a large number of them to be awoken as the invasion starts? Also what's the best way to use Beasts? They are the crossover splat, we should deploy them in some manner. I'm thinking integration officers.

Comment

Originally posted by Live Bait View Post
                  As I understand it Mummies wake up at full power, could we arrange for a large number of them to be awoken as the invasion starts? Also what's the best way to use Beasts? They are the crossover splat, we should deploy them in some manner. I'm thinking integration officers.
                  I don't know Mummy real well, but I'm pretty sure they just wake up when they wake up, you can't really force them to do it early or late.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

I'm not that familiar with Mummy either, but from what I do know they wake up when they are given a mission by their Judge (a diety, from what I understand). There is a date that only comes along after a certain number of years goes by (I forget how many, but somewhere in the realm of hundreds or thousands), during this time all Mummies wake up at once. Maybe we could get a bunch of fate mages together to cause them to wake up at a different time? As for Beaststorage, they would probably work best if used to get all the other supernaturals to work together. Incarnate Beasts could do some real damage in a fight, they have some pretty crazy powers.

Comment

Actually 90% of the time Mummies are deliberately awoken by their cults for a specific mission. The Sothic Turn (probably misspelled that) that gets them up on their own is actually quite a rare event.

Comment

A single mage with Space 5 could probably handle the whole thing. CoD knows they're coming so I assume there's fairly easy means of having sympathy to the Homeworld/Gems. Create a Pocket Dimension with indefinite duration where time doesn't pass then start Teleporting platoons at a time into it.

Comment

Now that I think of it...

Would Gems count as Mortals for the purposes of stuff like a Vampire's Predatory Aura?

Because if not... Daevas with Aura of Cursive Seduction turn their armies into our armies. Heck, up that to a Kerberos with that Devotion and the Seductive version of the Three Heads of Kerberos.
                          Last edited by amechra; 02-16-2017, 05:48 PM.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post
                            Now that I think of it...

Would Gems count as Mortals for the purposes of stuff like a Vampire's Predatory Aura?

Because if not... Daevas with Aura of Cursive Seduction turn their armies into our armies. Heck, up that to a Kerberos with that Devotion and the Seductive version of the Three Heads of Kerberos.
                            The Gems are pretty alien, to the point of being baffled by humanity most of the time, so I'd say they'd probably be alien enough not to count as mortals. But, they also probably wouldn't have a Beast to lash out with and thus whammy themselves with this.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I decided to make a few mage spells for the occasion. This is my first time trying to make new spells, so there is a decent chance I missed something or didn't make them very well.

Light Disruption (Forces ●●●●)
                              Practice: Unraveling
                              Primary Factor: Duration
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Intimidation, Crafts
                              The mage disrupts light within the area of the spell's effect, causing it to be scattered across the area. This stops machines and other sources of light from lighting up dark areas, instead causing occasional dim glows throughout the area that aren't bright enough to be useful.

This spell could be used to disrupt the light bodies of gems.

Light Ward (Forces ●●)
                              Practice: Shielding
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Science, Stealth, Intimidation
                              the mage forms a shield that light cannot penetrate over the area of the spell. No light may enter or exit this shield, making it impossible to see the other side. This takes the appearance of a black spot that no light is emitted from, and on the inside it appears as though there is a sphere of darkness surrounding the area.

This spell could be used to trap gems, or to keep them away. Might be a good idea to use something to make sure they can't just retreat into their gemstone, and then have another gem throw it out of the light ward.

Data Corruption (Death ●●●)
                              Practice: Fraying
                              Suggested Rote Skills: Computer, Crafts, Science
                              The mage can cause digital data to decay, corrupting it. The spell corrupts data within a number of devices based on the Scale of the spell, causing the data to become unreadable for the duration of the spell.

Gems can become corrupted. When this happens, they transform from their humanoid state to a monstrous form, and in most cases lose much of their minds to instinct. Corrupted gems can be tamed under some circumstances, but it doesn't happen often, and they are more likely to simply wander around destroying things. This spell could trigger that effect by corrupting the data in their gemstone that controls their minds and body projections, turning them against their own kind. It might also just shut off their minds and body projections. Either way it works out.

The matter spell Alter Integrity from the core book would also probably be pretty good, it can increase or decrease the Durability of an object, which could be used on a gem's gemstone.

Comment

Working...
                              X