Questions about Beats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Beats

Long story short my players played a knock out game last night BUT only one full filled three beats and everyone full filled one by showing up. It's seems unfair to play such a great game but not having gain more beats.

Originally posted by Blue Thomas View Post
    Long story short my players played a knock out game last night BUT only one full filled three beats and everyone full filled one by showing up. It's seems unfair to play such a great game but not having gain more beats.
    One of your players here, you might as well mention the long story for both context and because it's utterly hilarious.

Comment

You can give them all a few Beats, maybe even an Experience point. Especially if you're starting out, which I'm not saying you are, but it can be hard to figure out how to fit Aspirations in so that you can achieve them.

Comment

Originally posted by Tezof View Post

One of your players here, you might as well mention the long story for both context and because it's utterly hilarious.
        You are right. I need to mention the fact that you guys kidnapped a priest, traveled through Twilight, came out naked and then tasered said naked priest he was unconscious, AND talked the spectators into believing it was all a movie as you put said naked tied up priest into the back trunk and drove off.

Comment

The Thug Life baby!

Comment

I give as many as 3 Beats for a good session / good roleplaying, in addition to everything they earn on their own.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: 13 Licks: The Curses of Caine in Blood and Smoke13 Licks: Tricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: Mysterious Place: The Cabin
            Actual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines

Comment

In the original GMC:RU version of Beats, there was an addition 1 Beat per session for good RP reward you can opt to use despite not being in the CofD 2e core book.

Though given the story in questions... I'm kinda surprised that none (or only one) of the PCs got the "risk a Breaking Point" reward. Between entering Twilight, kidnapping, and a Tazing, it seems odd that there weren't some Breaking Points in there.

Comment

While there are specifically given 'reasons' to give a beat, beats are meant to be given to reward good roleplaying, and may be given at your leisure. I usually give a player a beat for a really great scene or coming up with a great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
                  In the original GMC:RU version of Beats, there was an addition 1 Beat per session for good RP reward you can opt to use despite not being in the CofD 2e core book.

Though given the story in questions... I'm kinda surprised that none (or only one) of the PCs got the "risk a Breaking Point" reward. Between entering Twilight, kidnapping, and a Tazing, it seems odd that there weren't some Breaking Points in there.

Oh there was. In fact the one guy that did get three beats had to do a breaking point. All others though only got one for the night.

Comment

Shifting into twilight should have been a Breaking Point for everyone, I'm really surprised that being part of a kidnapping wasn't. You should also take a good look at their Aspirations and think why they didn't advance this session and if you may need to adjust them so they are more relevant in the future.

Comment

I give players at the end of sessions 0-2 Beats for roleplaying Virtue and Vices ( and analogs ). Often, it can be simply 1 Beat here for general 'roleplaying', but adhering to character concept if V&V had been not marked in play.

Other than that - Let player declare 1 Aspiration on game session. My players typically chose one Long Term Aspiration about 'main plot', one Long Term about their own character arc and one Short Term connected to now run game session being declared inside action. To use example from devs. in DaveB's game about running in Atlantean Temples in Mage 1E, he let PCs to choose protoAspiration for not letting black NPC to die till the end of game session when they saw how plots unfolded on session.
                      Last edited by wyrdhamster; 02-17-2017, 12:55 PM.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies and System Hacks Hubs
                      WtF 2E - My Lodges and System Hacks Hubs
                      WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

There are also those ways to generate Beats in game:
                        • Resolving Condition ( often also taking one )
                        • Exceptional Success
                        • Taking Dramatic Failure instead of normal one
                        • Offering players Beats for making dangerous decisions in-characters or according to setting
                        Most of the time my players get's circa 1 Experience per session, with most munchkining ( or blessed with ExcepSuccess ) up to 2 Experience per session.

MtAw 2E - My Legacies and System Hacks Hubs
                        WtF 2E - My Lodges and System Hacks Hubs
                        WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Thomas View Post
                          Oh there was. In fact the one guy that did get three beats had to do a breaking point. All others though only got one for the night.
                          As noted though, this seems strange. All but one of the characters is OK with kidnapping people in general (remember that even if a character considers something justified in the circumstance doesn't negate it being a Breaking Point)? All but one of the characters considers being rendered incorporeal a normal thing?

I'm just suggesting that maybe go back over the Integrity section and consider if you're being a bit too lax with calling for Breaking Points because these are (and even if you're playing supernaturals whatever equivalent rolls) a major source of Beats (both directly and because they generate Conditions to fulfill).

In general though, I also think it's worth considering not getting too worried about a small number of Beats (esp. if the players are relatively new to the game and haven't quite gotten into the swing of how player action based the Beat economy is compared to most RPGs where advancement is more GM based). The number of Beats isn't a measure of how good a session was. How much fun everyone had is. I wouldn't worry about Beats too much unless:

- The speed of advancement is becoming a player fun issue (to which you can either increase the Beats given out, or do something like change the Beat:Experience ratio to a lower number).
                          - One player is getting really far ahead with Beats (so if the same player keeps getting 3 and everyone else keeps getting 1, then it's time to stop and analyze what's going on and how to address it).
                          - The players do not feel rewarded despite other types of rewards (WP regain, plot advancement, etc.) that might be what the game uses for specific mechanics.

Comment

Hell, even entering Twilight as a werewolf is probably a spirit breaking point.

Comment

Working...
                            X