Question about investigation and clues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about investigation and clues

Hello, i made this a thread because its more than a simple question and answer regarding the investigation system.

So each "Clue" is compose by elements. Elements are bonus dies that can be used to anything pertaining the investigation, be that getting more clues or chasing the suspect but they are a one time use.

So say i got a Clue with 2 elements. I can use 1 element to give my character a +1 when searching his apartment for more clues. And another element to give my character a +1 to fight/chase down the suspect and then the Clue would spent right?

So getting 5 clues (which the book says is the standard) is rolling and succeeding the "Uncover the clue" roll 5 times regardless on how many elements the rules have right?

The number of Clues i can use its elements for a roll is limited to 1 or my character Investigation rating. But that limit doesnt apply to elements in a single roll? If i have no investigation i can use the elements of a clue in single roll even if the clue has 3 elements (so a +3). Can i use the elements of a clue in different rolls? In the example above +2 in a roll and +1 in another?

If i use all the elements of a clue does that clue dissapear and cant be use for uncovering the mistery? Meaning the whole "gather x clues and you automatically resolve the case"

Thanks for any answer

I just got around to reading the investigation section and ended up with some of the same questions as you. I'm disappointed to see that no one answered you. I think the investigation rules could have benefited from an example or two.

Comment

Hold up. I have written a thorough and concise answer to this sort of question before, I'm going to see if I can find it again.

EDIT: here it is
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 04-14-2017, 06:59 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by LokiRavenSpeak View Post
        So say i got a Clue with 2 elements. I can use 1 element to give my character a +1 when searching his apartment for more clues. And another element to give my character a +1 to fight/chase down the suspect and then the Clue would spent right?
        Assuming the Clue doesn't have the Incomplete Tag, yes. If it did, then you could only use its Elements on rolls to search for more Clues.

So getting 5 clues (which the book says is the standard) is rolling and succeeding the "Uncover the clue" roll 5 times regardless on how many elements the rules have right?
        Actually, you don't even need to succeed at those 5 "Uncover Clues" rolls. You still get a Clue on a Failure or even a Dramatic Failure, though it will come with certain Tags which make them less useful in that case.

The number of Clues i can use its elements for a roll is limited to 1 or my character Investigation rating. But that limit doesnt apply to elements in a single roll? If i have no investigation i can use the elements of a clue in single roll even if the clue has 3 elements (so a +3). Can i use the elements of a clue in different rolls? In the example above +2 in a roll and +1 in another?
        Yes.

If i use all the elements of a clue does that clue dissapear and cant be use for uncovering the mistery? Meaning the whole "gather x clues and you automatically resolve the case"
        Honestly, the intent behind how "Uncovering the Truth" is supposed to work is unclear. The text contradicts itself in a couple of places on this matter. I think that Clues do not disappear once you have spent all of their Elements, and that once you have the appropriate number of Clues required to solve a mystery, you do so automatically but get a Complication for each Element you were short of that number. Honestly though, I just don't use this aspect of the Investigation system. Just having Clues and Elements as temporary equipment bonuses for the information uncovered when investigating a mystery is good enough without the Uncovering the Truth mechanic.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

It would be nice to get a clarification someday about the Uncover the Truth roll. Do we know who wrote the Investigation section? Maybe someone could ask the source.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
            It would be nice to get a clarification someday about the Uncover the Truth roll. Do we know who wrote the Investigation section? Maybe someone could ask the source.
            No idea. There was a long conversation about it when CofD 2e came out, lots of requests for clarification, notes put into the errata thread. No response.

Comment

Working...
            X