Okay, so let's read this thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought about something like this for my game chronicle

I tend to overdo things sometimes, like making a fictional Wikipedia page in InDesign for a fictional town. :P

I will add character info and such to it later. This was mainly just a "test."

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: June 23, 2017

Comment

• I've updated the link above with some more game content, including some dice rolls. Please check it out.

As for the readthrough, I'm going to be busy tomorrow with a D&D game, and then I'll meet a friend to prepare a CofD game the day after that. It'll be first on Friday when I can read the book again and my goal by then is to finish the God-Machine Chronicle.

Comment

• ok, so that is terrifying, especially since i often hear a small high-pitched whine/ringing late at night sometimes, when everything's quiet. In fact, I'm hearing it right now. Can I still can get in on this? I have a Changeling character who could be converted back to a mortal pretty easily. Foster kid just aging out of the system, trying to figure out what to do next. Only got to town recently, as he's more of a city man.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
          ok, so that is terrifying, especially since i often hear a small high-pitched whine/ringing late at night sometimes, when everything's quiet. In fact, I'm hearing it right now. Can I still can get in on this? I have a Changeling character who could be converted back to a mortal pretty easily. Foster kid just aging out of the system, trying to figure out what to do next. Only got to town recently, as he's more of a city man.
          It's a solo game so you'll have to settle with reading it, I'm afraid. Thanks for the interest though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
            It's a solo game so you'll have to settle with reading it, I'm afraid. Thanks for the interest though.
            Ah, misunderstood White Oak Dragon

Comment

• I'm curious about the way I've been handling the rolled actions so far, especially the social ones. I ranted a lot about social manuevering earlier in this thread, and the rolled social actions have so far been played out differently. Could someone evaluate those actions (I did present some notes in blue boxes together with the mechanics involved) and tell me if I did something wrong?

Comment

Ah, misunderstood White Oak Dragon
                I apologize for that. I hadn't meant to cause any confusion.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

I apologize for that. I hadn't meant to cause any confusion.
                  Dude, you made a kith for me. You never have to apologize to me for anything, you beautiful genius.

Comment

• I've did a brief look at your rolls, and one striking thing is the fact that most of them are barebone Stat plus Skill rolls. Book might not be very good about communicating it [I don't remember honestly], but "equipment" in form of penalties and bonuses should happen fairy often. Typical roll should, from my experience, have about two dice of equipment attached to it. These are usually negative, because in order to make player figure out where their positive equipment dice are coming form :P.

In general, Storyteller provided "equipment" has two basic functions: providing extra flavor [it allows you to communicate that this neighbor is paranoid as hell; it allows you to communicate that your dress is really, really nice; it allows you to communicate that it's really, really dark], AND it's the function of adjusting the difficulty of the rolls. One of biggest problems I have seen new STs to this game have was the fact that they underutilize their ability to modify check's difficulty by adding penalties and bonuses to rolls, making them feel like they have no control over how easy or hard stuff is, as in this system, a success is a success.
                    Last edited by WHW; 03-16-2017, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Dude, you made a kith for me. You never have to apologize to me for anything, you beautiful genius.
                      I'm glad that you liked the kith, but I'd hardly say that it covers every possible situation that could require an apology. That said, thank you for the compliment.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                      Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Ok, am I missing somewhere obvious where Ekonnen posted a link to these things? I can't seem to find one...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
                          Ok, am I missing somewhere obvious where Ekonnen posted a link to these things? I can't seem to find one...
                          Second post on this page.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• Ah, fool that I am, I was expecting a second link and searching for "google drive" related keywords.

Comment

• FICTION: CELEBRANT

I like the art piece. It's creepy nightmare-fuel and I love it. As for the fiction, the Celebrant is interesting. It's described as a “tall, beautiful, skinless body, posed as if in the middle of orgasm.” That sentence proves how much creepy the word “skinless” can add to a sentence.

HAGIOGRAPHY: TALES OF THE GOD-MACHINE

So this chapter presents twenty scenarios. I've already started my own solo game without reading any of these, but I would welcome some inspiration. I don't know if I read all of them, depending on what I feel they are giving me, but let's start with the first one and see what it's about. I'll try to develop my own chronicle idea further by using the format presented.

So, I named my first Chronicles of Darkness game (a solo game) Wheel of Fear and Fate. My goal is to present a larger than life situation surrounding the main protagonist (the PC) and then unravel a mystery involving the God-Machine. Later down the line, I'm considering transforming the PC into a vampire but that's definitely not set in stone. The chronicle could work best on its own.

Infrastructure describes the set the actors play in. In my game, it's the fictional town of Chime, Oregon, that has an obsession with clocks and is now experiencing a static sound with no clear source.

Interchangeable Parts helps instruct players on the sort of characters they should make. For my game, I only have a single player, and I let him create any character he wanted that could be placed in the Infrastructure I presented above. We got a young and intelligent nurse practitioner made by the player with complete creative freedom. Because of his choice of occupation, it helped focus the narrative.

Blueprints gives an idea of what happens if everything goes as the God-Machine plans. The problem with my chronicle (and my over-eagerness to get it started even before I finished reading the book) is that I'm running it currently based on a vague premise. I haven't established much more than mentioned above. My inspiration is Junji Ito's Uzumaki where a small town is gradually descending in obsession, madness and clear supernatural world changing. I presented the static sound as my “spiral”---as the cause of the town's descent. I want this static (which is caused by the God-Machine) to gradually escalate. But I have no clear blueprint in mind yet. I'm not sure what the God-Machine wants to get done by causing this, and I'm looking for inspiration.

Linchpins give a look at how the God-Machine manifests. As mentioned above, my game has the tinnitus-like static as the initial God-Machine manifestation and the source of the game's plot. I intend to present this static as the voice of the God-Machine, as explained earlier in the book. Some people will become obsessed with building antennas in an attempt to tune into this “signal”. I also want to tie the town's Clockwork Museum into the story, perhaps as a central locus from where the God-Machine can operate.

Methods give ideas for how the characters could interact with the stories on a mechanical level. I'm not sure how to describe this on a mechanical level. From a story perspective, I want the player character to feel isolated in his distrust for people's behaviors and in his fear for the God-Machine. It seduces people and causes them to do strange things. I want the player character to fight back, and feel desperate doing so.

Escalation examines what happens next. I have some vague ideas about where I could take things, but I want to fully establish the main story first. Hopefully this chapter can help me do that.

So let's get started.

The 300 Block

I didn't draw much inspiration from this story in particular. I did like the idea of the boiler room sacrifices and I think my game could need something similar. I should put some physical aspect of the God-Machine in the Clockwork Museum since that's central to the story. The question is what that should be. Perhaps the 19th century factory that later became the museum was constructed through occult means after some kind of deal of success by the original creator. Perhaps a hundred years has happened since the factory's creation and the God-Machine feels like it didn't get bang for its buck. Now it's expanding on its own, using the town's population as the gears for its continued operation. The factory itself should be the weakness though, and the key to defeating it (or delaying it).

The 300 Block had an angel character as some kind of boss to oversee the boiler room. Maybe I should take my game in the same direction. The player can then choose to appease this “angel,” or to fight it.

Do-Over

I really really really like this story. It doesn't fit my current game chronicle and I don't draw much inspiration from it, but I enjoy the idea very much.

Sister City

This story spoke to me a little in its way to fuse two different time periods. I've already established Chime as the location for my game, but I've aready established a character (Arthur D. Chime), the architect behind the factory that the town was built around. I don't want to make my chronicle into a time travel story, but I do wonder how it would benefit by further developing this Arthur D. Chime and the original creation of the machine. This could be something the player character investigates in game after finding some clues to lead in that direction.

Other stories

There are plenty of good stories here, but there are quite a few of them and I don't feel that they add much value to this readthrough at the moment. I'm going to skip a few and read them on my own at some other time. I do want to read Wake the Dead, though, because it was references by earlier stories. Let's finish off with that one. If you have suggestions for more of them that you think I should read, please say so in the comments below.

Wake the Dead

I do think a zombie story works well for Chronicles of Darkness, and this presents inspiration for many variations for how that could happen. It doesn't work for my game---at least not at large scale---but I toy with the idea of perhaps bringing back “one” death. Perhaps the player character's romantic partner should be killed off and brought back, either as possessed by an angel or as herself but through the workings of the God-Machine. If she comes back as herself, it would make things more difficult for the player character if he wants to fight back against the God-Machine.

FICTION: CHEATING MALCOLM

Hmmmmm.

THE COGS IN THE MACHINE: CHARACTERS

I'm mostly interested in how this chapter will present the angels. How to create human characters is easy now when I've already started playing. I don't really look to this chapter for human characters (unless they are amazing) so I'm going to skip commenting on most of them.

For my game, where the presence of the God-Machine is directly affecting nearly everyone in the city, there ought to be at least one angel around as a direct driving force. The question is who that angel should be.

I enjoy the writeup for the Architect. He feels like a solid antagonist for a smaller story. I'm not a fan of Black Nathaniel and I don't think my current game would benefit from a goth fitness model with wings. The Blind Serpents are absolutely weird and ridiculous. I love them. The Clockwork Servitors feel like angels that could fit my game. I'm leaning towards the actual humans being the servitors though, either through possession or through supernatural manipulation. Kalka is my favorite out of the bunch. His description makes me think of Raiden.

APPENDIX ONE: EQUIPMENT

I've been waiting for this. I can't believe I actually started a game without even looking at equipment. Now I need to remind myself of the violence rules too because there are a bunch of confusing numbers here that's gone from my head because of how slowly I've been reading this book.

Apart from weapons and armor, the list of equipment itself is more useful than I thought it'd be. Since my game is pbp, it progresses slowly and I haven't had many dice rolls. But I should definitely make use of this list. Everything has some kind of bonus or penalty associated with it. I should have added or removed dice when Agostino rolled to see if he'd maintain control over his car based on a bonus added by his Prius and compare it to the current weather, that he had slept poorly, et cetera. When he rolled to convince the old lady to give him the key to the apartment, he should have had a bonus or penalty based on his clothing. Maybe the old lady was racist and reluctant to help him because he's Latino. Or maybe he'd had a bonus to his roll because he was dressed in medical clothes and showed concern for his girlfriend.

APPENDIX TWO: TILTS AND APPENDIX THREE: CONDITIONS

I have the physical Tilt Cards and Condition Cards already and have read some of them a few times. I do like them a lot, and I do like the ability to put down cards on the table when I need to---for when I play this game on a table.

And then we're done. Book's over. Done. Let's start playing. I guess you're interested in my final thoughts now.

It's a solid game. The book itself is easy to undertand (with a few minor frustrations over certain rules---Investigation and Social Manuevering---which I'll probably get back to). Character creation is straightforward and simple. Monster creation is straightforward and simple. The game system itself is also straightforward and simple. I'm bad at using bonuses and penalties to the best of my ability, but I suppose that comes down to experience for the most part. I still need to play enough to get a feel for what kind of dice modifiers make sense to me in game.

The layout of the book is absolutely boring. There are some nice art pieces, but I'm so tired of seeing blue blue blue blue, and I'm tired of the face in the bottom left side of each page. I wanted color. I've looked at the Vampire and Werewolf books and those are absolutely gorgeous in comparison. I think the overall dullness of this book's art style is headache inducing. There were some really cool art pieces in the God-Machine part of the book.

Speaking of the God-Machine Chronicle … I hyped it, I got to it, I read it, and I loved it. I said before that I thought it'd be like if Cthulhu's home dimension had sex with a grandfather clock. Kind of. It does feel alien, and it does present a foundation for some cool chronicles. It's an interesting concept, but I don't think I'd want it to be central to all of my games. Some of them, sure.

I hope you enjoyed my readthrough of the sourcebook. Next I'll be reading Hurt Locker.
                              Last edited by Ekorren; 03-19-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Glad to see your overall response was positive, even despite the, ah, basic color motif. It's probably fair to warn you, speaking of, that each of the sub-lines has its own color theme: core stuff mostly keeps to a particular shade of blue, Vampire's drenched with red, and Demon favors a sort of tarnished gunmetal shade, as examples. Though there's been some inclusion of full-color images the last couple years or so, which does help break up that monotony.

Gotta say, it was a treat to see someone grasp the God-Machine so quickly and intuitively, and not only that but manage to come up with ideas for running it right off. And the little peeper critter was a fun test of the Horror system to boot!

Hurt Locker next, eh? There're a few parts in particular that I'm interested to see your response to. Some (possibly most) good, but there were one or two little bits that kinda grated on a number of folks here, and I'm curious to see whether and how you react when you reach them.

Have a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing posts after, well, posting them. Bear with me...

Comment

Working...
                                X