No announcement yet.

Okay, so let's read this thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ekorren, if you plan to read Hurt Locker like in this format, maybe you should start separate topic? Diving 10 pages to start on discussion over Hurt Locker will be problematic.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

• Ekorren , wyrdhamster I agree

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• By the way, I got the idea to try to make the PC's sheet look like a Linkedin profile on my game chronicle PDF. Since I had already made a fictional Wikipedia page about the setting, I might as well do a fictional social media profile to add some immersion to the character sheet.

Linking it again

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
        Ekorren, if you plan to read Hurt Locker like in this format, maybe you should start separate topic? Diving 10 pages to start on discussion over Hurt Locker will be problematic.
        I was planning to continue in this thread but I can make a new one if you'd prefer that.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: June 23, 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
          I was planning to continue in this thread but I can make a new one if you'd prefer that.
          It will be easier to start seperate topic - it can simply be called 'Hurt Locker - Let's read this thing' to mark it's content, or something. It just be easier to hang on discussion on subjects related to Hurt Locker, not mixing them with CoD Rulebook ones. If you even ask nicely, some moderator ( like Charlaquin ) could rename this particular topic to 'CofD Rulebook - Let's read this thing' to mark it's limited to one book content.

I just want to say I like this whole idea and would like to see other your topics of 'Let's read' manner.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
          MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
          WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

• And link to the new one at the end of this thread. That should help

Comment

• I agree with this page as a whole. I enjoyed reading these and look forward to the new Hurt Locker - Let's Read This thing topic ^.^. Sounds like I'll need to pick up Hurt Locker soon then.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Not sure if this is the place to talk about your game, but "G-d's Whispers"? Hmmmmmm. I think I see potential Blueprints if you still need some ideas

Comment

• Here's the new thread for Hurt Locker.

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                  Not sure if this is the place to talk about your game, but "G-d's Whispers"? Hmmmmmm. I think I see potential Blueprints if you still need some ideas
                  I'm open for any inspiration you can give me.

Comment

• I'll pm you so your player doesn't get spoilers if you choose one of them

Comment

• I've been playing some today and I realize that I have some serious difficulties figuring out suitable modifiers for rolls. We had this scene where Agostino tries to persuade Elizabeth. At first, I tried a single roll with modifiers: Presence (2) + Persuasion (2) + Modifier I pulled out of my ass (2) + Willpower (3) - Resolve (3) - Another modifier I pulled out of my ass (1) = 5. He got a bunch of successes. This felt wrong. The next time, we tried a simple contested roll without a bunch of modifiers. So he rolled Attribute + Skill + Willpower versus her Resolve + Composure. This felt much better.

I'm new to this, so I'm going to make some mistakes. How do you handle a social situation where you want to handle it with a single roll instead of dealing with Doors (because it doesn't make sense in this particular situation)?

Comment

• I love that character sheet. Love it. That's super creative and super thematic. I wish I could have 20.

EDIT: the only thing I would change is I'd probably put something like 'x/5' or like 'one out of five stars' next to the merits at the bottom in order to keep the dot ratings relevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
                          I've been playing some today and I realize that I have some serious difficulties figuring out suitable modifiers for rolls. We had this scene where Agostino tries to persuade Elizabeth. At first, I tried a single roll with modifiers: Presence (2) + Persuasion (2) + Modifier I pulled out of my ass (2) + Willpower (3) - Resolve (3) - Another modifier I pulled out of my ass (1) = 5. He got a bunch of successes. This felt wrong. The next time, we tried a simple contested roll without a bunch of modifiers. So he rolled Attribute + Skill + Willpower versus her Resolve + Composure. This felt much better.
                          The book doesn't follow its own advice about this very well in the example rolls, so I don't blame you for missing this, but the general rule of thumb is supposed to be that opposed rolls are Contested when the number of successes doesn't matter, and Resisted when the number of successes does matter. So, for example, if a player is trying to lie to an NPC, that's pretty much pass/fail, either the NPC catches the lie or they don't. so, in this case the player would make their roll (probably something like Manipulation + Subterfuge + any relevant equipment), and the NPC would contest with a roll of their own (probably something like Composure + Empathy + any relevant equipment) On the other hand, if a player is trying to do something with more granular degrees of success, like maybe they're trying to make a persuasive speech to a small group of people and you want to say each success is one NPC they've convinced, then you simply apply a flat penalty to the roll (so maybe something like Presence + Persuasion + any relevant equipment - the highest Composure in the crowd). Rolls where number of successes matter come up more often in monster gamelines than in vanilla WoD, in my experience.

Originally posted by Ekorren View Post
                          I'm new to this, so I'm going to make some mistakes. How do you handle a social situation where you want to handle it with a single roll instead of dealing with Doors (because it doesn't make sense in this particular situation)?
                          So, I've been writing up a "Demystifying the CofD subsystems" mini-essay to post here, since people seem to find my rules summaries very helpful, and this happens to be exactly the section I'm currently working on. Here's what I've got so far.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talking to People: Social Maneuvering.

The Social Maneuvering system is presented a little backwards in the core rulebook, but what it all comes down to is a standardized system for determining the penalty to apply to a Social action, and a system players can use to reduce this penalty or circumvent the need to roll entirely. When a player declares an action that involves convincing another character to do something, you should apply a penalty equal to the lower of the subject’s Resolve or Composure. Add an additional -2 penalty if complying with the request would cause the subject to experience a Breaking Point. Add an additional -1 penalty if complying with the request would prevent the subject from fulfilling an Aspiration. Add an additional -1 penalty if the request is in opposition to the subject’s Virtue. If the subject is acting in opposition to the player character, they may Contest this action with an appropriate dice pool. If player succeeds at this roll, the subject must comply with the request (or, if the subject is a player character, they may offer an alternative and take a negative Condition. I like Leveraged for this). If the player fails at this roll, they have harmed their relationship with the subject and cannot attempt another Social Action against them until they have repaired it.

There are multiple ways a player can reduce the penalty before rolling. The fastest way to do this is by employing coercion. If the means of coercion would cause a Breaking Point for the player character, reduce the penalty by a number of dice based on the severity of the Breaking Point (the precise rules for this vary depending on the player character’s Integrity equivalent, but with humans a Breaking Point at a -1 or -2 penalty reduces the penalty on the Social roll by 1, and a Breaking Point any more severe than that reduces it by 2). The other way is, well, the rest of the Social Maneuvering system.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I haven't gotten to summarizing the rest of the Social Maneuvering system yet, but this part seemed relevant enough to your question to post on its own.
                          Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-22-2017, 05:50 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

• By "+ Willpower" do you mean the +3 bonus from spending it?

Generally, as you just found, you want to use contested rolls in cases where the outcome that matters is mostly binary (either it works or it doesn't), and resisted rolls either where the result is quantified by the number of successes. The former situation is far more common than the latter. Occasionally you might have a resisted roll in an edge case where failure is possible, but you want to bias in favor of success, usually when an action's effects aren't overwhelming and can be muddled through after being inflicted, or when you're dealing with minor supporting characters and extras.

Comment

• Have you figured out the probabilities for different number of dice rolled? They helped me a lot to understand what things are difficult and what makes them difficult.

Comment

• What if contested actions end up in a draw?

Comment

Working...
                                X