Okay, so let's read this thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depends on the circumstances.

'If it’s a tie or neither side gets any successes, the effort fails altogether or successive attempts may be made in subsequent turns, if appropriate. The Storyteller decides if the effort can be attempted over and over until one competitor wins.'

There's examples where someone it's sort of a success for both sides. Throwing a weapon, for instance, versus catching a weapon. The one who caught it caught it, but takes damage based on the throwers successes.

Comment

• I think the Group Beats is absent from the CofD book, isn't it? Maybe we should throw it here?

Comment

• Originally posted by WHW View Post
        Have you figured out the probabilities for different number of dice rolled? They helped me a lot to understand what things are difficult and what makes them difficult.
        Just to make the searching a bit easier...

Originally posted by Heavy Arms View Post
        Some simple(-ish) equations to help crunch two important, but different, numbers:

(1 - (0.7^n))*100 = % rate of success for n dice. This is just the binary pass/fail odds, not how many successes you're most likely to roll. So with 4 dice you have ~76% odds of success.

The next one takes a bit more writing, even if the math itself is actually easier:

n*3/(x-1) = the average successes for n dice. X is either the value of the X-again (10 for default 10 again rolls, 9 for 9-again rolls, 8 for 8-again rolls) or 11 if re-rolls are negated. This is, keep in mind, just the average. It doesn't provide the deviation or similar values. So 4 dice 10-again averages 1 and 1/3 successes, but it doesn't tell you how frequently to expect rolls below or above that number (which is actually fairly frequent).

This is not a short cut, though it is heavily simplified from the base math that proves it is true. One of the nice thing about the nWOD dice math is that many seemingly complex math bits simply fairly easily to a basic algebraic equation.

If you want the odds for specific numbers of successes, or rote-actions, see the links above because the charts are easier than the math.
        So that gives us the following chances of getting at least one success:

Chance die: 10%
        1 die: 30%
        2 die: 51%
        3 die: 65.7%
        4 die: 75.99%
        5 die: 83.19%
        6 die: 88.24%
        7 die: 91.77%
        8 die: 94.24%
        9 die: 95.97%
        10 die: 97.18%

CofD booklists:
        Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

• Not much of a numbers guy I always went to the chart here. I reposted it but it has further charts for 9 and 8 again.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Not much of a numbers guy I always went to the chart here. I reposted it but it has further charts for 9 and 8 again.

I tried to find that link, but it was being a login firewall. Thanks for pulling one that wasn't.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mummy | Promethean

Comment

• Here are some "tricks" that I apply to rolls in order to make them easier, harder, or different without manipulating dice pools too much:

- EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES
              If you want to reward a player for something and want to make them feel like they made an impact, instead of adding dice you may instead reduce their threshold of Exceptional Success from 5 to 3. I like this Difficulty Mod a lot, because it rewards a player for having a good dice pool, and when looking for Ex Success specifically, it scales much better than simple dice. It's a nice way to introduce something like "You picked clothes she really likes, so your Exceptional Success threshold is only 3...but the fact that your hygiene is poor still gives you -3 penalty, bud".

- EXCEPTIONALLY HARD
              This is what I use for SUPER HARD STUFF when I don't want to flood the roll with negative modifiers. Basically, the roll requires an Exceptional Success to succeed at all. This is great for stuff like defeating magical veils and other things that should require real power and effort to break. Combine this with EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES to create "Setup Challenge" where player needs to not only assemble a good dice pool, but also find out how to reduce their Exceptional Threshold to optimize their chances at beating the challenge.

- HARD, JUST HARD
              This one is a variation of Exceptionally Hard. Ignore first rolled success! So in order to succeed, you need to roll at least two successes, and in order to ExSuccess, you need to roll 6 successes. I like this for obstacles that can be removed or routed around, because again, so the player can feel that their choice directly changed the challenge.

Comment

Working...
              X