Okay, so let's read this thing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ekorren View Post

The optional rule about Fate doesn't really seem necessary to me. I think Aspirations are enough.
    Interesting sidenote: This system was actually cut from the original God-Machine update, but it inadvertently ended up back in the new core because of a slight editorial oversight. The developer decided it was easier (and more interesting) to just add it into that sidebar, rather than have to comb through the book all over again and remove it.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
    I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Interesting sidenote: This system was actually cut from the original God-Machine update, but it inadvertently ended up back in the new core because of a slight editorial oversight. The developer decided it was easier (and more interesting) to just add it into that sidebar, rather than have to comb through the book all over again and remove it.
      And everyone on the forums thought it was so amusing that the Fate rules kept popping up like a kudzu that the joke developed that those rules are actually God-Machine Infrastructure.

CofD booklists:
      Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
        And everyone on the forums thought it was so amusing that the Fate rules kept popping up like a kudzu that the joke developed that those rules are actually God-Machine Infrastructure.
        Yes! A joke! Hah hah hah hah hah. Hah.

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
        I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

• Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Yes! A joke! Hah hah hah hah hah. Hah.
          Angel/cultist spotted

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• I'll try to get some more read today or tomorrow. Just wanted to say that because of the GM sale, I just ordered Vampire and Werewolf, so those will come up after Hurt Locker, starting with Vampire.

Ekorren's Homebrew Hub - Last Update: November 13, 2017

Comment

• Angels sleep apparently. And they have red blood (assuming the text refers to angel blood). But they are also ephemeral beings according to the Antagonist chapter. Can ephemeral beings sleep and have red blood? I guess. I just didn't expect it.
              I know this isn't highlighted so you're not looking for an answer, but I so badly want to answer/clarify the nature of ephemera in regards to specifically angels because it was very confusing to me for a very long time and I don't think it's ever explicitly said so I was very happy when I figured it out (prolly also asked the forums/DaveB at the time).

I won't say anything unless you want me to.

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

• Sorry for delaying. Haven't had time to read anything more because of work but I'll have time over the weekened.

I don't want this thread to digress any but I did read some about the controversy regarding the new White Wolf and their hiring which made me concerned about the future of these products. I spoke with White Wolf's CEO in a private conversation today. Since they have their office little more than an hour away from me, he offered me an open invitation to their office for coffee. I haven't gone there yet but I appreciated the offer. He ensured me that CofD is Onyx Path's thing and that they intend to let Onyx Path continue with CofD for a long time, and that their own products will be separate from and not directly affect Onyx Paths' products. An exact quote was (translated from Swedish): "We're not closing that line but is encouraging Onyx who are doing a good job to keep running it." That made me relax a bit. I should be able to fully invest in Onyx Paths' vision and keep supporting them while letting the other guys do their own thing over yonder. I decided before I learned about this whole ordeal that I wanted to invest in Onyx Paths' vision. In my future readthroughs, I will continue to go through Onyx Path's products.

I know that this is a hot topic and I really don't want this thread to digress into a heated debate about this controversy. I just wanted to share that particular detail because clearing that up (for myself) was, I imagined, important for how much I would dare to invest in these books going forward.

Comment

• This is an AWESOME thread. Great work.

I've been into White Wolf's stuff since. . . I think the second edition of Vampire: The Masquerade (got into it when Waldenbooks, when they were still a thing, gave my mom a Jyhad starter set because she was part of their discount/loyalty program), and I've been following the games ever since. Having recently gotten a new job and having the potential of getting my long-paused ChroD chronicle up and running again soon, I've bought the book you're reading now (just waiting for it to get here). It'll be interesting to see what I think when I sit down to start reading it.

Not having read the rules for a lot of the systems you're talking about (Investigation and Social Maneuvering), I can't really comment, but I can point you back to The Golden Rule of Tabletop Gaming: If you don't like a rule, ignore it. I get the sense, though, that these systems are in place for when you don't have any better way to resolve a type of issue. If you've painstakingly prepared all the clues and hints for one avenue of investigation, but the players, throw a complete curve ball and go down a different path entirely, then the Investigation rules are there so they can accomplish things without you, the ST, needing to drag them forcibly back to the clues you'd already figured out. Likewise, Social Maneuvering would be good when what was intended to be a completely unimportant, one-shot NPC is "adopted" by the players and they want to start manipulating him/her into their ally/servant/slave/operative/whatever. You don't need to have a completely fleshed-out story for this character, just know enough about them to figure out their Doors and Disposition, and let the rolls take it from there (and the interval probably buys you enough time to flesh them out in more detail, since the players have basically said this character is now going to be important to the story). Also, Social Maneuvering is less for one-off interactions, and more for long-term goals. It's not about convincing someone to do something right now, it's about grooming them into someone you can rely on to help out when you need it. It's Palpatine taking fifteen years to groom Anakin as his apprentice, not Obi-Wan mind-tricking a random stormtrooper (if I can be forgiven for bringing the Prequels into this).

As far as "co-operative Storytelling" goes, I find it's INCREDIBLE fun. My ChroD game revolved around me knowing very little about the situations and NPCs involved, just what I absolutely needed to know to keep things straight, and letting the players run amok with the starting points I gave them. My game had added a new player at the outset, and a second new player shortly thereafter (and lost one just a bit later), and they changed the usual dynamic considerably. They surprised me so often with the direction they'd take investigations that I very quickly had to adapt my ST/GM style into reacting to what they were doing, rather than forcing them to react to what I was doing, because I could just never predict exactly how they'd go about dealing with a particular situation I advanced to them. Part of that was due to their insane investigative abilities (tied in with some of their abilities as various supernatural beings, but also due to exceptionally good role-play), but a lot of it was just these characters, as a whole, being insanely creative and surprising in what they were going to do when I thrust a mystery their way, and how they'd go about doing it. Entire sessions arose because one player decided they wanted their character to do something, and I had to make that goal and the achieving of it interesting and engaging for everyone. Hands down, the most rewarding tabletop gaming experience I've had thus far.

That's something great that Chronicles of Darkness offers, the ability for the players to have input on the narrative level for what they want the story to be about. Aspirations are a key component to this, but not the only one. Taking Aspirations can, and probably should, be the player's way of communicating to the ST what they'd like to see more of in the Chronicle. It's a great way to help the ST formulate sessions that will engage with the characters and players behind them, and the energy they bring to a story they're invested in will only make the story better for everyone involved.

Speaking of group co-operation, one rule I heartily recommend using is Group Beats. Under this rule, beats earned by players go into a communal pool and are parceled out equally at the end of each session. So if you have four players who earn a total of eight beats in a session, each player gets two beats. It helps foster a sense of co-operation among the players themselves, and means that players won't be competing with each other for opportunities to earn Beats to make their own characters more powerful. A good roleplayer can earn Beats for everyone, a character built to hold the enemy's attention and take damage can earn Beats for the table when they take Wounds in their last three Health Boxes and overcome the Conditions associated with those injuries, exceptionally lucky (or unlucky) dice rollers can earn Beats for everyone with their rolls, etc. Without the distraction of "will I get shafted on XP if I do this?" removed, the players can focus wholly on their characters, and bringing them to life within the story.

And your Peeper is DAMN creepifying. I may steal that for my game.

Those are just my observations, make of them what you will. Very interested to see how this thread continues, thank you very much for sharing your experience with us.

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post

Yeah, Supernatural Tolerance only applies to supernatural powers, and even then, not uniformly (it doesn't penalise Awakened magic in Mage, for instance, but that's a long story). And yes, they generally have more specific powers to deal with gunshots and nut kicking: Vampires have Resilience; werewolves have you've made a poor life choice.
                  This is the funniest thing I have read in a good long while! Thank you!

My Geist GMC Updates
                  My Infinite Macabre Goodies
                  Parasite Eve: The Third Birthday Chronicle
                  Shamelessly pimping my book

Comment

• FICTION: WILSON

A very well-written piece of fiction. It put me in the mood.

SHARDS OF THE DIVINE: BUILDING THE GOD-MACHINE CHRONICLE

By now, Chronicles of Darkness players might be familiar with the idea of using different tiers as a way to set expectations for the direction of a chronicle.” I'm not used to anything yet! I don't even know what they are!

Apparently they mean “local, regional, global and cosmic.” I imagine that the God-Machine Chronicle is a cosmic tiered chronicle, or at least the God-Machine itself is cosmic in scope? For my first chronicle, I'm thinking about something of an incremental chronicle. Let's start with a local mystery and step-by-step expand the story. I may do some speculation about my own upcoming chronicle here since I know that none of my players read this.

Has anyone read Junji Ito's Uzumaki about a small Japanese town spiraling (pun intended) out of control? Maybe a local God-Machine Chronicle could draw inspiration from that: You've heard a static in your dreams, and sometimes faintly when alone. You notice on people in town that they look exhausted from lack of sleep. One of your friends ask you if you've “heard the static.” Realizing that you're not the only one, you become curious but wary of this static. A few individuals in your surroundings become absolutely obsessed, acting as possessed with a compulsion to build radio antennas. You develop a fear for this static, as your dreams tell you that it's out of this world. You start wearing headphones that play loud music in your ears---anything to cancel out silence. You avoid being alone and spend your time in large gatherings, so that the presence of others can make you think of something else. But in time, the God-Machine finds its way, and the music in your ears sound like clanking metal and turning gears. The people in the gatherings look at you as if you're the odd one out. What is happening to this town, and what is happening to you? That's when the static becomes words, and the strongest antenna becomes you.

Then we have the regional chronicle, where the mystery expands to encompass an area that can be as vast as a country. As for the hypothetical story above, it could be expanded like this: You've tried to live with the God-Machine in your mind for weeks now, but there is no escape. You've tried medication to keep the static out, but it's caused you to black out---sometimes to forget entire days---and sometimes to wake up with dirty feet and blood on your hands. There are people in town, hiding in shadows. Apparently they belong to an organization called the Cult of the Wheel. And they are looking for you. But one day you get an e-mail from an anonymous source: “I am like you. You need to run before it's too late. Take the train over to X.” That's when you learn that you are simply one cog among many in a much larger puzzle, and that there is a very specific purpose for why you are the way you are. A summoning will take place, and you are its intended vessel. Unless you manage to break free. However, breaking free may require you to become the vessel of something very different---it may require you to break yourself free of your humanity (since I've bought the Vampire book, this could be a cool place to transform a player).

That detail about the militant hacker organization that scours the Internet for supernatural files is actually a very interesting idea. It also aids in making Google searches more difficult, requiring the players to involve themselves more in their investigations. I approve.

Now, how could we expand my hypothetical chronicle to encompass a global tier? Keep in mind that I have not read any other splat, but let's assume that the regional chronicle ended with the player becoming a vampire to thwarth the God-Machine's intention of using him as a vessel for its summoning. The first thing I'd want to do now is to give the player a false sense of security in regards to the God-Machine (make him believe he's snapped back to a lower tier and that he can relax---he no longer hears the static after all). He's a vampire now and needs to deal with that. I would want to change the setting now---maybe move him to a different country where he can be properly introduced to his new world. But now we'll need to force the God-Machine back in full swing. Having been distracted by his new crimson thirst, the player had completely missed what the God-Machine did in the background. He hadn't been its only potential vessel, and the grand danger has been summoned in his absence. This is not some angel or demon wanting to wreck havoc---this is the resurrection of the Fury of Death. He may be a vampire now and he may have lost some of his empathy for humanity---maybe---but he still cares about the world. He cares about a world for his own sake. Few people understand the God-Machine better than this former vessel, and he must find a way to either kill Death or to seal it away for good.

Okay, so now we've played up to the global tier. What more can be done? We need to explore the cosmic tier, but how can we top the resurrected Fury of Death? The investigation that lead up to his defeat is the global chronicle, but the act of his sealing is cosmic in tier. The protagonist has developed a global following that's forced open a portal into the body of the God-Machine itself. In order to seal away Death, the protagonist needs to personally step into the body of the God-Machine to forever force the Fury into the gears of the cosmic machine. He succeeds, but the power of Death breaks part of the clockwork and the entire God-Machine begins to crumble. The protagonist must make a decision---he must save the God-Machine from its destruction, or all else may break with it. He swears himself to the God-Machine to let its voice back into his mind. This gives him the option of sacrificing his own body and soul in order to become the cogs required to return the God-Machine to functionality. The portal closes, the God-Machine returns to operation, and the hero of the story is now forever trapped beyond space and time itself, as an eternal cog of the great machine. Was this the God-Machine's plan from the beginning? No one will ever know.

And so the chronicle ends and we start playing something else. Or perhaps we don't play anything of this at all, and just keep enjoying the smaller tales.

Next up, I'm going to read Hagiography: Tales of the God-Machine.

Comment

• That's an awesome setting you've come up with. May I have your permission to use that for a world in the reality-hopping game that I'm running for my wife?

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                      Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
                        It's explicitly possible to start with one or more Persistent Conditions. In fact, Persistent Conditions explicitly replace Flaws from 1st edition, which could only be taken at character creation and grant 1XP once per session when they hinder the character or the group.
                        As a completely minor tangent, this option was definitely present in the 'Free Update', but I believe it was removed from the 'Chronicles of Darkness' book itself. Not that this should stop anybody. It was a great idea, and I was sad to see it gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post
                          That's an awesome setting you've come up with. May I have your permission to use that for a world in the reality-hopping game that I'm running for my wife?
                          Sure. If you like it, take it.

I've actually started storytelling that idea I presented above for a solo player in play-by-post. I can probably chronicle it and add it to my Google drive if people are interested to see how my first (albeit pbp) CofD storytelling turns out.

Comment

• Thank you. It should be interesting. And I think that you'd find a lot of interest in your pbp game.

Currently working on: DtD Night Horrors: Enemy Action
                            Projects I've contributed to: C20 Anthology of Dreams ("No Such Thing As Dragons")

Comment

• PBP game transcript with notes on how do you feel about certain mechanics working or not working and other "director notes" would definitely be interesting.

Comment

• i'm up for it. good practice at least

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                                X