No announcement yet.

Could this work as a Genius antagonist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this work as a Genius antagonist?

I am thinking about playing Genius and I came up with an antagonist idea. My basic idea is a archeologist club called The Society of Golden Phoenix. They were founded by a member of The College of Scholastic Theory as a little research group dedicated to studying Lemurian artifacts. Unfortunately, like all Genius wonders, this group fell apart the second the Genius died. The new leader, Lenny Schmidt, decided to try to profit off these unusual artifacts and loot every single artifact from Lemuria they could find. Thus unknowingly becoming a pain in the ass for Genius, especially The College of Scholastic Theory.

What do you guys think?

End goals for the group? Themes? Because they seem like a pretty minor antagonist thus far. No outstanding capabilities, and not all (or even most) Genii care about Lemurian artifacts. Is there something beneath the surface?

Exposure to that much Maniacal energy is bound to turn at least a few Beholden or Inspired.
    Who are they selling to?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Hmm. Had the fragment of an idea for an Inspired antagonist group myself.

Orphan Liberation Front
      Creed: they believe that Orphans and Wonders are free independent beings, and oppose Genii "enslaving" them.
      MO: they "liberate" (steal) a Genius's Wonders, and try to "wake up" (cause enough Havoc to turn them Orphan) ones that aren't independent.
      Danger: stealing your Wonders, tarring your reputation, and/or causing dangerous Havoc.

They aren't Luddite Clockstoppers, just misguided (or are they?) activists. With probably more social capital than the collaborative has.

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post
        Hmm. Had the fragment of an idea for an Inspired antagonist group myself.

Orphan Liberation Front
        Creed: they believe that Orphans and Wonders are free independent beings, and oppose Genii "enslaving" them.
        MO: they "liberate" (steal) a Genius's Wonders, and try to "wake up" (cause enough Havoc to turn them Orphan) ones that aren't independent.
        Danger: stealing your Wonders, tarring your reputation, and/or causing dangerous Havoc.

They aren't Luddite Clockstoppers, just misguided (or are they?) activists. With probably more social capital than the collaborative has.
        Hell, I could see a Renegade Genius deciding to sign on with them. I'm sure there's at least one Genius who believes what they believe, or at least might want some patsies sniffing out Orphans for them to take control of.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Now that I think about it, I decided to scrap this idea and use another one I came up with a while ago. they are basically a think tank named Minotaur based in Santa Fe. They are basically famous for thinking up inventions and selling them to the general public. They had a steady stream of inventions from 1965 all the way to 2012. Unfortunately, they kind of lost steam and could not come up with any more inventions. But, in 2014, a Beholden showed up one day with a stolen wonder. This wonder was a generator that runs on water. The Beholden then took the credit for the wonder but did not let anyone one of the executives touch it. Unfortunately, a foolish man named Ernie Cosgrove touched it, causing it to blow up. Ernie survived but was scarred from head to toe. Instead of being turned off, the executives wanted to find more of these Wonders and possibly reverse-engineer them for public use, and to make a profit in the process.

‚ÄčTheme: Having inventions stolen. Every inventor has feared the idea of having their inventions stolen and passed off as the thief's own. But, the Geniuses realize if Minotaur gets their hands on their Wonders, the Havoc their reverse engineering could cause would be catastrophic. It would also hurt the pride of any genius to have their Wonder reverse-engineered and sold by " Mere-Mortals".

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
            Now that I think about it, I decided to scrap this idea and use another one I came up with a while ago. they are basically a think tank named Minotaur based in Santa Fe. They are basically famous for thinking up inventions and selling them to the general public. They had a steady stream of inventions from 1965 all the way to 2012. Unfortunately, they kind of lost steam and could not come up with any more inventions. But, in 2014, a Beholden showed up one day with a stolen wonder. This wonder was a generator that runs on water. The Beholden then took the credit for the wonder but did not let anyone one of the executives touch it. Unfortunately, a foolish man named Ernie Cosgrove touched it, causing it to blow up. Ernie survived but was scarred from head to toe. Instead of being turned off, the executives wanted to find more of these Wonders and possibly reverse-engineer them for public use, and to make a profit in the process.

‚ÄčTheme: Having inventions stolen. Every inventor has feared the idea of having their inventions stolen and passed off as the thief's own. But, the Geniuses realize if Minotaur gets their hands on their Wonders, the Havoc their reverse engineering could cause would be catastrophic. It would also hurt the pride of any genius to have their Wonder reverse-engineered and sold by " Mere-Mortals".
            Hmm. Beholden usually aren't so strong willed. And they couldn't make a generator on their own. And I'm not sure Wonders can be reverse engineered at all (at least in their current/1E state).

What about making it so some/one-of the surviving board members became Inspired... and near immediately Illuminated. The rest of upper management has become their Beholden, and their personal mission/obsession is to steal other Wonders to try an recreate the initial generator. In the meantime, they market stable knock-offs to finance their search, while slowly building a mass of pliable Beholden (a play on the various Brand-Fan stereotypes).

Alternatively, the explosion rendered the board a strange kind of semi-Beholden - they need Mania to function, but aren't so servile as long as they have their supply. A byproduct of their Mania Vampirism means they can render Wonders semi-safely "inert" - they operate at reduced effect, but aren't in danger of Havoc... at least for awhile.

Too out there, or against your original goals?
            Last edited by Vent0; 02-21-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Hmm. Beholden usually aren't so strong willed. And they couldn't make a generator on their own. And I'm not sure Wonders can be reverse engineered at all (at least in their current/1E state).

What about making it so some/one-of the surviving board members became Inspired... and near immediately Illuminated. The rest of upper management has become their Beholden, and their personal mission/obsession is to steal other Wonders to try an recreate the initial generator. In the meantime, they market stable knock-offs to finance their search, while slowly building a mass of pliable Beholden (a play on the various Brand-Fan stereotypes).

Alternatively, the explosion rendered the board a strange kind of semi-Beholden - they need Mania to function, but aren't so servile as long as they have their supply. A byproduct of their Mania Vampirism means they can render Wonders semi-safely "inert" - they operate at reduced effect, but aren't in danger of Havoc... at least for awhile.

Too out there, or against your original goals?
              I actually like the idea of the Board becoming Illuminated. Let's just hope insanity does not stand in the way of running a think-tank. The mania-vampires work well too. I an wondering how the employees they send out to steal wonders don't destroy them by just touching them? Perhaps they send in a Beholden to supervise them and to make sure " those idiots" don't break it.

Comment

And I'm not sure Wonders can be reverse engineered at all (at least in their current/1E state).
                Well, I'd assume not, but you could probably be reasonably able to analyze a Wonder to get a bonus on the roll to build a new one.

Reverse-Engineering is totally a thing in 2E, though.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

I actually like the idea of the Board becoming Illuminated. Let's just hope insanity does not stand in the way of running a think-tank. The mania-vampires work well too. I an wondering how the employees they send out to steal wonders don't destroy them by just touching them? Perhaps they send in a Beholden to supervise them and to make sure " those idiots" don't break it.
                  Beholden. You could even call them the Yes Men (empty suits kowtowing to corporate policy and inexplicably given authority).

Comment

Beholden. You could even call them the Yes Men (empty suits kowtowing to corporate policy and inexplicably given authority).
                    Thanks for the suggestion. I am just picturing a group of them talking in corporate lingo while stealing a wonder.

Comment

Do you have a name for them yet? If you go with the mania vampire Beholden, what about Ezekiel Applied Technologies? (Or EAT, for short...)

EDIT: nevermind, saw you named the new group Minotaur.
                      Last edited by Vent0; 02-23-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Do you have a name for them yet? If you go with the mania vampire Beholden, what about Ezekiel Applied Technologies? (Or EAT, for short...)
                        I was thinking about naming them Minotaur Technology. But, EAT works as well.

Comment

I was thinking about naming them Minotaur Technology. But, EAT works as well.
                          Could even be both - it wouldn't be the first time a corporation has renamed/rebranded themselves.

Could be they renamed themselves to get away from their previous "washed up" image... but the inner conspiracy/board still thinks of themselves as Minotaur.

Comment

Working...
                          X