Clive Barker's CofD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clive Barker's CofD

What templates best fit The NightBreed and The Cenobites in 2e ChoD?

Nightbreed would be Horrors. I suppose Beast might fit but it doesn't have the physical aspect. The weaker ones would just have a Dread Power or two. The Cenobites are demonic followers of extradimensional hell gods. You could go Inferno Demon with them, Changeling might fit with a stretch, most of them still being loyalists.

I'm not sure about all the 'micro' templates like Stigmatics, they might fit too.

Comment

Reighnhell wrote up Pinhead as an Infernal.

"Fate is a cruel jester with a finely developed sense of irony." - Sir Night as portrayed by Leliel, The Horror Recognition Guide

Comment

If you wanted to get a bit meta-funny, the Cenobites could be Angels overseeing the strange Infrastructure mechanism that is the puzzle box. Some of the non-Cenobite antagonists work fairly well as Unchained (pun not initially intended, but I like it!) that rebelled due to being merged with a human personality that didn't take well as a host for an Angel (and they have to steal life from people to persist). I kind of like where this puts most of the protagonists as stuck between the machinations of the Demons trying to stay free from the puzzle box, and the Cenobites seeking to both promote it and gatekeep it's activities.

Comment

Dude, call it ChroD or CofD, but ChoD just looks like it would be pronounced "chode".

On a related note, the title of this thread made me giggle.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

I actually had a Darkling Hunterheart idea based on Cenobites.

I believe Dark Eras or the Godmachine Chronicles actually refer to cenobites, not by name, but by description, we still don't know what those beings we're.

As for Nightbreed, I'd say some sort of none evil, Pandorans.

Comment

There's a big difference if we're talking movie vs. literary vs. comic Cenobites.

...but if we're generalizing, there's the Schism, and the Labyrinth, and Demons, and an unsustainable, unquenchable lust for physical sensation; maybe an Abyssal reflection of Pandemonium and its denizens?

Comment

You do realize cenobites are already in the core book?

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

You do realize cenobites are already in the core book?
                  The celebrants? They're mentioned, but not elaborated on or given stats.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

It's probably used throughout the books, considering its just a kind of monk. One can be a cenobite without being a Cenobite.

Comment

Yep, I meant the Celebrants.

And I thought they did. Sorry.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hastur00 View Post
                        ...but if we're generalizing, there's the Schism, and the Labyrinth, and Demons, and an unsustainable, unquenchable lust for physical sensation; maybe an Abyssal reflection of Pandemonium and its denizens?
                        Always thought that Cenobites realm would be Pandemonium Abyssal reflection. BUT Left - Hand Path book point that Pandemonium reflection is totall and utter darkness, so...

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
                        WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

Re: Cenobites

If incorporating the Cenobites into the CofD, I get a few ideas .
                          The Labyrinth would be its own sub-Realm, perhaps built around a shard of corrupted infrastructure and folded into one of those pocket realities the God Machine keeps around. The Cenobites themselves would treat as either Angels or Infernals (or maybe a Ephemeral type somewhere between). I would focus more on the people who stumble across puzzle boxes (and other exotic conduits to the Labyrinth) rather than the Cenobites themselves. I see the Cenobites as fantastic, dangerous antagonists, but they lose something if you try to get to far into their heads.

Re: The Nightbreed

The Nightbreed is one of my favorite horror films (and the story it is based on, "Cabal", is very good as well). If I were to tell their story in CofD, I would create a micro template where the "Nightbreed" can purchase supernatural merits to replicate the vast array of abilities displayed by the various denizens of Midian. You could also adapt Beast, since its themes and ideas are about the closest to Nightbreed. The Nightbreed would be excellent CofD protagonists, being as they are outsiders that have been hunted to near extinction by humanity and are trying to find a new sanctuary (a theme of "Home" rather than Beast's theme of "Family", with plenty of overlap).

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                          The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                          Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Working...
                          X