Stephen King's CofD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen King's CofD

We had a topic about works of Clive Barker's as inspiration for CoD games, so let's make one about King.

Especially, as J.J. Abrams TV series - Castle Rock - based on Stephen's works is being done now. Here is teaser:

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

The Mist would be an awesome prelude to a hunter game.

Comment

Stephen King is pretty much my goto for inspiration for CofD. IT is an archtypical Hunter game, to the point of being listed in the original book... but IT is also a mastercraft at creeping horror, making mundane objects terrifying. If you haven't listened to the most recent audiobook version, you should be. IT is creepy on a level beyond the book, and that goddamn says something.

CofD booklists:
      Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

To me most films or books on King's universe are great as mortal characters chronicle ( and sometimes Hunter ). We have lone humans confronting first time with supernatural. And their Integrity is plumbing.

Comment

I know it's not directly his work but Joe Hill (King's son) has a similar style it's a little faster and puncher; Horns, N0S4A2, Heart Shaped Box and Locke and Key

I'd love to play a game based around the Key House.

Comment

Originally posted by basketcase View Post
            I'd love to play a game based around the Key House.
            Oh yes, Key Housel <3

Comment

Good ol' Stephen King. His style is pretty much the kind of horror I usually aim towards, one of my favorite ones and, generally speaking, my platonic ideal for CoD's atmosphere.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
              Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

I'm more friendly than I look, I'm just bad at showing it. Trying to improve about that.

Comment

Much of my approach to storytelling is informed by Stephen King (and Clive Barker, but he has his own thread). He creates this great atmosphere of regular people dealing with the deadly and strange. And (at least for my tastes) the idea of normalcy has to be established and reinforced for the strange and fantastic elements to have any impact - its a needed contrast.

As far as for setting and world-building, most of Kings novels could be plugged into the CofD game system with very little adjustment. You could run a pretty awesome game set in the world of the Dark Tower (which is technically most of King's works - levels of the Tower, Ka is a Wheel, etc, etc).

Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
                The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
                Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

Roland Deschain, endlessly trapped in a recursive Awakening pursuing the Man in Black...

Comment

Trucks: The Honkening.

Comment

- Blaine the Mono is a homicidal Rank 4 Messenger angel that's an Exile, but has not completely fallen, however!
                      - Christine is a spirit-possessed car.
                      - The Crimson King is an Exarch of the Abyss (considering his plans for the cosmos!).
                      - The events of The Dome are the result of an extremely ambitious Infrastructure.
                      - IT is an Incarnate Eshmaki Beast.
                      - Leland Gaunt is a Mekhet vampire with Cruac.
                      - The events of The Mist are the result of Cheiron Group accidentally summoning a Rank 5 Abyssal entity that 'overwrites' local reality with itself.
                      - Mister Malshun is a Qlippoth archmage, and hosting an ochema of the Crimson King.
                      - The Overlook Hotel was the site of an Unfettered Namtaru Beast (the hotel's 'intelligence') and sat on an Avernian Gate in its boiler-room.
                      - Randal Flagg is a Tetrarch that's secretly plotting on overthrowing the Exarchs.
                      - Roland Deschain is a hunter blessed with an endless lifespan.
                      - Room 1408 (from the short story, not the movie) is an Abyssal 'shallowing'. [Sorry! I'm not versed in Mage 2e...]
                      - The Talisman (as in, the object the book is named after) is an omphalos stone of Gaea.
                      Last edited by Demigod Beast; 02-26-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X