Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome to Night Vale

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...J_gLJC2ZWnffS2

So... me and my girlfriend have been listening to 'Welcome to Night Vale' before sleeping for a while now (the nightmares are worth it).
    And i was wondering if you have had games inspired by it.
    I keep getting the feeling that it is a veritable gold mine for Mage the Awakening games, or even regular mortal games.

Bonus point; the motto of Night Vale (well one of them anyway) 'If you see something, say nothing and drink to forget' feels to me like it is very much in line with the Chronicles of Darkness.

I was soooooooo inspired for CofD by early WtNV. Unfortunately the longer it has gone on, the more the mystery of it has kind of given way to the surreality. Inevitably so, as recurrence and development of characters, places, and other setting elements inherently make them more familiar and therefore less mysterious. And don't get me wrong, I love that the story and setting have evolved over time. But early on, the absurdity served the mystery, which made it perfect CofD inspiration in my mind. But, as the story went on and the blank corners of the map started getting more filled-in, the mystery eventually shifted to serve the absurdity, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but does make it less ideal CofD inspiration for me.

Now, Alice is Not Dead, on the other hand. That has taken WtNV's place as my auditory CofD goldmine. Can't wait for Season 2.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Now, Alice is Not Dead, on the other hand. That has taken WtNV's place as my auditory CofD goldmine. Can't wait for Season 2.
      I like the narrator, but the story lost my attention. I had the same problem you mentioned with Night Vale, I expect it was a reaction to the popularity, publishing a novel and so forth.

It's good for more 'open' weirdness like you might find in some city or another where people just live with something weird as best they can and don't talk about it to outsiders, either out of privacy or just because it's such a normal thing, like you don't tell tourists that they can breathe air and not water.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
        I like the narrator, but the story lost my attention.
        I get that. It almost lost me twice, but both times something happened shortly thereafter that roped me back in hard. The pacing juuuuust worked for me, but I understand it not working for others.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Also Within the Wires. There's an epistolary chronicle I'd like to play. And I'll second Charlaquin on Alice Isn't Dead; pure blue book CofD, in the best way possible.

Night Vale has a very God-Machine feel early on, even if the absurdist punchlines aren't quite the same tone as CofD

Sort of related: I went to their live show this week, and it was wonderful. It was surprisingly touching (as WTNV often is).

Sam Young | Vampires ruin everything freelancer

VtR: Curses of Caine in Blood and SmokeTricks of the DamnedBtP: Secrets of VancouverCofD: The CabinActual Play: Vampire: The Requiem – Bloodlines
          I podcast: The Breakup, a podcast about destroying the things you love

Comment

Heck yes Night Vale has inspired my games! So far I cannot remember an instance after I became a fan of the Podcast where I haven't drawn some sort of inspiration from the series and it's sister shows, be it from mysteries, surrealist environments, character drama, or even just storytelling tone from Cecil himself.

Also, once got to see the Investigators live show. It was freak'n awesome, plus it game me some fun ideas about interactive storytelling. ^_^

Comment

Just re-listened to the episode 67 [Best of?], and had an interesting thought about how the show uses shifting realities and (both comically and seriously) the Blood-Space War. I though of Mage: the Awakening and how using narratives like that to illustrate the scars and aftershocks of the Ascension War that's going on in the Supernal Realm and how it's so abstract from human comprehension yet profoundly effected by the very people who don't understand it. Plus the whole non-linear time thing is very Mage.

Just sharing the inspiration.

Comment

Working...
              X