Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So can mages go to different dimensions and such?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So can mages go to different dimensions and such?

http://wiki.wodgotham.com/images/f/f...y_alexiuss.jpg

I saw an awesome fan art and was intrigue. Mages can travel to different dimensions called the Umbra? What does it look like? Would it look like the above picture?

I went on Google and searched "Mage the awakening Umbra" and found that image.
    Last edited by Magicballz; 02-26-2017, 12:02 AM.

This is the nWoD/CofD forum, where mages explore the inner expressions of the Astral Realms and the totemic reflections of the Shadow Realm. oWoD/cWoD/just plain WoD Mage is the one where mages travel through the Near Umbra and reach further into the Horizon.

Pretty sure either game can find a good place for your inspirational artwork (whether or not it's one of the game's otherworlds). It's just a question of what is evoking it.

Comment

Yeah, so the Umbra is a Mage the Asenscion thing. Mages in Mage the Awakening can travel to other worlds, but the Umbra isn't a thing in the world in which Awakening is set. That image looks awesome though, gives me a very God-Machine vibe. Or it could be an Obrimos' Awakening, with the skyscraper in the center of the skyline being the Watchtower of the Golden Key. Honestly there are probably dozens of ways you could interpret this image in either Chronicles of Darkness or World of Darkness.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
        This is the nWoD/CofD forum, where mages explore the inner expressions of the Astral Realms and the totemic reflections of the Shadow Realm. oWoD/cWoD/just plain WoD Mage is the one where mages travel through the Near Umbra and reach further into the Horizon.

Pretty sure either game can find a good place for your inspirational artwork (whether or not it's one of the game's otherworlds). It's just a question of what is evoking it.
        What do you mean evoking?

Comment

Originally posted by Magicballz View Post

What do you mean evoking?
          What the artwork evokes, what the artist is trying to depict, what his symbology means.

Comment

Mages can travel to different dimensions called the Umbra?
            They can travel to different dimensions, but none of the "canon" dimensions are called Umbra. There is the Shadow (also known as Hisil) though.

What does it look like?
            Shadow would look like a warped extreme version of the real world full.

Would it look like the above picture?
            Lets see... You could get that picture from the Shadow if you're in a city with some really powerful industry spirits, one of the God-Machine's dimensions, the astral realm, or could actually be the normal mortal dimension being viewed by a stigmatic or demon if you live in a really unlucky city,

Comment

Originally posted by milo v3 View Post
              They can travel to different dimensions, but none of the "canon" dimensions are called Umbra. There is the Shadow (also known as Hisil) though.

Shadow would look like a warped extreme version of the real world full.

Lets see... You could get that picture from the Shadow if you're in a city with some really powerful industry spirits, one of the God-Machine's dimensions, the astral realm, or could actually be the normal mortal dimension being viewed by a stigmatic or demon if you live in a really unlucky city,
              Ah thank you. Can mages bring their human friends into another dimension?

Comment

Yep, and they can get up into all sorts of mystery solving hi-jinks.

Comment

Sure, if they work at it. But if that person isn't a Sleepwalker, ie. someone who can witness Supernal magic and not have their mind shattered by it, it'll create some problems.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

Sure, if they work at it. But if that person isn't a Sleepwalker, ie. someone who can witness Supernal magic and not have their mind shattered by it, it'll create some problems.
                    Like what?

Comment

Like what?
                      Their mere awareness of something supernatural being at work can cause the mages' magic to go haywire or gradually break down.

Resident Sanguinary Analyst
                      Currently Consuming: Changeling: the Lost 1e

Comment

Like what?
                        Humans in the CofD suffer "breaking points" from suffering certain events or doing certain things. They're a catch-all term for things that ruin your sanity and crack your self-image, represented by the Integrity trait. Roll Resolve + Composure when you face a breaking point- fail, and you lose a dot of Integrity plus suffer a Condition that compels you to act like people suffering from sudden trauma would. Guilty, Shaken, and Spooked are the default list of Conditions.

Now, since the human mind is adaptable, it is possible to become eventually numb to certain breaking points, or at least fortify yourself against them. However, you can never null yourself against breaking points caused by witnessing Supernal or Abyssal phenomena. Even the most psychologically stable person in the world will eventually kneel in terror and confusion.

Sleepwalkers are people immune to those subset of breaking points, so mages tend to gather them around for company, since they're the only form of company they can keep other than fellow mages.

EDIT: And what Satchel said above. It's a phenomenon called Dissonance.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

And sometimes the presence of mortals when a spell is cast can cause paradoxes like bringing creatures which cannot exist into the world.

Comment

Mages can go anywhere, as long as they find the right Iris (a portal into another dimension.) So your clockwork sky could absolutely exist "somewhere." A Mage (or Cabal of Mages) would likely be overjoyed at discovering a brand new world (assuming they can get back.)

Like Charlaquin, I think God-Machine Infrastructure when I see it, though. Perhaps it might be good inspiration for a Demon game, or a Mage game which heavily features the God-Machine.

Comment

The half-gear in the lower right hand corner of the sky forms kind of a halo around the guy in the foreground's head. Makes me think either Unchained or Obrimos.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                              X