Supernaturals in Boston

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supernaturals in Boston

As my crossover game goes more in depth in to other monsters territory, I prepared some ideas on supernaturals communities in Boston Metropolitan area. It’s based on Mage setting book Boston Unveiled, mainly mine 2E fan update of Mage setting for it and Doubting Souls Dark Era. First and foremost - they are low numbers of monsters in urban area here. Mages are calling shots and even they are only a few dozens. From others biggest are probably vampires ( up to 3 dozens ), second are changelings ( two dozen) and lowest are werewolves ( about one dozen). Rest races have only few individuals in city. Generally, if race is low in Boston proper, they flourish in general New England and Massachusetts. Now, to a ideas on each race…
    • Vampires are biggest rivals to mages domination in Boston - but secret conflict between times of Colonies lead to defragmented Kindred society and official Awakened power in region. Wizards say that bloodsuckers were strengthening hunters in times of Witch Trials – but vampires accuse them of sending Scarlet Watch and Malleus Malleficarum on their backs in this era. Colonial hunters stopped Kindred from grasping many political influences and resulted in too many deaths in Invictus first days on those soil. It led to Second Estate position of local powers – at least till XIX century occult revival where Guardians of Veil and Nameless War in secret societies of New England made great upheaval in those groups. In turmoil, both Circle of Crone and Ordo Dracul quickly rose in the power. In the end, Witch Trials, American Revolution War and secret societies wars in mortals society made both Invictus and Carthian Movement last powers in Great Covenants race, as they fought in those conflicts on rest of power places. What’s interesting, pressure of hunters and mages lead to local Kindred society not having proper Prince, as each faction looked more for their own leaders in times of need. That means in Boston there is de facto ruling Elders Council, with each representing their Covenant interests made of LS Bishop, Inv. Duchess, OD Kogaion, CoC most powerful Hierophant and CM Magistrate. There are some whispers that Ordo Dracul is infiltrated by vampiric Tremere.
    • Werewolves in Boston are only dozen or so Uratha, rest is in vast forests of New England. Those that are still in city are two packs – one is Forsaken, led by Storm Lords and Iron Masters that ‘sent away’ new recruits for the packs in inner state territory if they do not work with their Tribes under common Massachusetts Protectorate. Second is Pure one, led by Ivory Claws and Fire Touched, converting any werewolf they can to their mad cause. Shadow Realm in metropolitan area is mostly stable, under guidance of court called The Austere Stone of Gilead and often mages interactions with spirits. Rest of Uratha in New England are in constant relations with The Wood of Empty Houses, post colonial court made of spirits from ‘empty places’, forgotten or massacred settlements, filled with unhinged and dangerous spirits.
    • Changeling are about two dozen in Boston Metropolitan area. They adhere to classical european Courts of Four Season and mostly do not interfere with other supernatural, do not wanting to be bothered. In Lost society there are rumors that in interior of New England are settlements adhering to native Sacred Hoop Courts.
    • Created are very rare view in Boston area, with maybe one or two at given time. Most even do not are known to Awakened masters of city, just passing through and trying to stay unnoticed. Boston have small community of Alchemists in its boundaries, hailing from many universities and colleges.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

You could do something with a Forsaken Pack around Fenway Park that's made a totem out of the "Big green Monster".

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post
      You could do something with a Forsaken Pack around Fenway Park that's made a totem out of the "Big green Monster".
      What're the details on this, for the uninitated outsider?

Comment

Originally posted by Karavolos View Post

What're the details on this, for the uninitated outsider?
        What do you mean? I'm just going off general knowledge of the Boston area.

Comment

After reading this I've had the image of Boston Blue Bloods as Ivory Claws stuck in my head all day.
          Charles Winchester the III, with fur and claws.

Comment

What do you mean? I'm just going off general knowledge of the Boston area.
            Maybe it's just my lack of research, don't know an awful lot about the city's culture in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Karavolos View Post

Maybe it's just my lack of research, don't know an awful lot about the city's culture in general.
              Just cruise Wikipedia.

Comment

Interesting! I like the idea of mages and vampires bucking for influence and control. In my Boston-centric campaign, the vampire court is scared shitless of the Nemean and refuse to interact with mages as a result. Always interesting to see a different take on it.

I feel you could do some with sin-eaters, as there are a lot of local disasters that killed many people. The Molasses Flood, the Cocoanut Grove fire, the Summer Street Disaster, the Great Revere Train Wreck, the Chinatown speakeasy collapse in 1925, and a whole bunch of street riots. There are also a couple of Boston-specific serial murderers that could've historically interacted with any given supernatural being, namely the Strangler and the Giggler.

A few additional in-canon tidbits from various books:
                - Changeling the Lost 1e mentions the Waltham Brethren, a changeling court in a city just west of Boston. I recall there being a specific pledge for it somewhere.
                - Hunter the Vigil has this tidbit: "Fact: in December 1927, the US Army raided a number of coastal towns in Massachusetts. The towns no longer exist. Their inhabitants vanished." I like to pretend this has something to do with the Red Word.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                  Vampires are biggest rivals to mages domination in Boston
                  Domination in regards to what?

Comment

wyrdhamster I recently finished reading "Dirty old Boston" it covers the city from the post war years up to the end of the 80's. Lots of details on the combat zone

Comment

Originally posted by Lackey Man Ren View Post
                      Interesting! I like the idea of mages and vampires bucking for influence and control. In my Boston-centric campaign, the vampire court is scared shitless of the Nemean and refuse to interact with mages as a result. Always interesting to see a different take on it.
                      It is general assumption of 1E setting. In our 2E fan update of Boston Unveiled ( based on events in Mage gameline ficitions in various books ) Nemean was convicted two years ago by Chicago Silver ladder Convocation and now Awakened in Boston are in transition from previous monsterous Hierarch Nemean to choosing one of now Councilors on his vacant seat. Khumeia, as local Deacon and organizing captivity Nemean became proper member of Ruling Council in his place.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                      My Hubs - VtR 2E System Hacks, MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks

Comment

Who turned out to be the third signer after the ebon noose and white Putnam's?

Comment

Who turned out to be the third signer after the ebon noose and white Putnam's?
                          Ha, it's a Mystery! Rumors says it's Spirit of The Land - that is also Great Mystery of Boston region ( and New England ) region.

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                          Great Mystery of New England – Spirit of Land
                          There are forces in New England lands. Secret whispers between the sights of wind. The sounds of running river are the same as rhythms of Supernal incantations. Lines of power are crossing land, pointing to forgotten symbols. Immaterial beings are hunting those places for centuries – and yet they work in to something greater, like common mind. Natives American say this land has its own soul. They may not be wrong…

From the time first European witches and sorcerers come to the New World, they tried to communicate with this intelligence. It is commonly called „Spirit of Land” – but Awakened are not sure is it spirit, goetia, powerful ghosts – or even just some presence they feel when they are alone in the woods. All they want to be study it. And to get the power from it.

Many attempts on this gone badly – Spirit, if it’s even exists, is fighting with mages to not get locked up by them. Salem Witch trials are said to be result of first famous attempt. Hubristic Awakened tried to play with forces they could not understood – and innocent people paid the price. Or at least it’s what Guardians of Veil from New England say.

Secret Concord from Boston is to be the latest successive attempt on that. Whoever – no, whatever - is third signer of the document is probably the „The Spirit of Land”. This is why Ebon Noose and White Putnams so much fortune favors them - the land itself helps them to maintain power. Or so rumors in Awakened circles say.

Possible solutions to Mystery:
                          • Spirit of the Land – Mysterious being most Awakened sought to know in New England is a powerful Shadows spirit of this Lands. It’s Rank 7 being, on par of Wolf gods the werewolf worship or just a bit below ephemeral beings like Sun or Moon. Many wonder how spirit of surrounding can be this powerful and wonder if Atlantean civilizations that left ruins in New England woods have something to do with it. ( See Boston Unveiled, Chapter Four „Off the Map” )
                          • Bound unbound – Other theory states that this being is Supernal god, thrown into our world when Exarchs took their Thrones. Instead of being bound in some ancient prison, this being freed itself and roam freely the land. It would explained local Seers interest in to phenomena, as one of their most important dogmas it to lock and sentry this kind of beings. It would also clear why some Awakened disappear in the middle of the night when left alone in the woods – Bound are always hungry for Mana, pouncing on anything that has a greater amount of it in his Pattern. Awakened are then ideal meal.
                          • Prisoner from Abyss – Most disturbing theory is that „Spirit” is powerful Acamoth, abyssal being living in Astral Space. Most seek mages to use their Astral link with Abyss to go over their home they were separated eons ago. But the New England being had somehow evolved and can travel between strata of Astral on its own – it lies in Anima Mundi most often, leaving imprint on the land and beings in region. Still, it likes to play with Awakened, offering lore and power. For the price.

Comment

I think it's the Firstborn that are Rank 6. Father Wolf was Rank 7, iirc.

Simurgh, Mysterium Thyrsus in Mountains of Shadow (IC|OOC)

Comment

Father Wolf was Rank 10. The Firstborn seem to be Rank 7, but there's probably some variation and someone like Ravening Wolf might be Rank 6. Wyrdhamster's got it right enough.
                              Last edited by nofather; 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X