Nukes in CofD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nukes in CofD

Now, first of all, I know that chances are anything that gets hit with a nuke is simply going to vaporize, and that it would work perfectly well to simply declare anything within the blast area dead. But that's no fun, so, using Hurt Locker explosive rules, how would you stat out a Nuke? To make this simple, let's use the Little Boy, the first nuke ever used in war.

You cannot stat a nuke using WoD rules, atleast not properly. The exact damage values are simply put far too massive to matter. I'm not exaggerating either. Unless you can fully stat out a battleship or a city first, making a stated nuke is simply useless.

The only real way to have "stats" is to have 4 areas of effect centered around a single point of origin. 1 "everything dies" zone. 1 massive damage zone where people can survive if they are really strong and tough or in cover. 1 "less damage" zone, all of these zones having various radiation levels and 1 EMP zone that fries all electronics.
    Last edited by Almarck; 02-27-2017, 06:50 PM.

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
    DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
    Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

I'm thinking about it, and, honestly, while I'd love to take a crack at it, I can't understand the purpose of quantifying the damage of a nuclear weapon. The damage is far beyond the health boxes and quantified damage absorption of a PC. I say 'quantified' damage absorption because there are plenty of high level devotions and high level spells that could theoretically "absorb all damage" which could protect someone from the blast of a nuclear bomb. But it would be a plot device story power saving the high level PC from a plot device weapon.

Comment

Not to mention all the radiation poisoning tilts and conditions.

Comment

Promethean's first edition has rules for 'magic' radiation somewhere, though Mirrors has more mundane fallout rules. They would probably be converted to a Tilt readily.

A regular nuclear attack, however, has a write-up in Armory. Basically anyone within 10 mile radius dies, anyone within another 10 mile radius beyond that is in serious condition. There's rules for radiation poisoning following it that could easily be converted to a Condition.

Comment

The amount of damage doesn't necessarily have to be astronomical, it simply has to be enough to destroy most creatures and buildings, and have a massive blast area. 20 damage would probably be enough to kill most creatures and destroy the materials in most buildings. When it comes to structures, it really would only need to deal enough damage to destroy each individual wall, then deal that damage over a massive blast radius. As for the point? For fun. Also incase I want to try it against any super overpowered monsters with massive amounts of health I come up with just for fun. I'll check out the rules for it in Armory, maybe then I'll take a crack at it.

Comment

...yeah, the purpose of a nuke is to kill a city. It's not an explosive. It's literally a city-killer.

So, unless you tell us what it is you're doing with the nuke, I don't know what stats are even relevant.

Did it already explode? Cool. Radiation Poisoning as a Persistent Condition would be neat, and some quick Googling should get you approximate radii on what gets affected how based on the megaton yield, usually not accounting for drift due to wind.

Did it not explode yet? Then what you really care about is how big it is, and what it takes to arm it, and when armed, how likely it is to go off accidentally.

That's.. not really much in the way of stats to make up.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
              An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
              Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Enderdragon1201 View Post
                The amount of damage doesn't necessarily have to be astronomical, it simply has to be enough to destroy most creatures and buildings, and have a massive blast area. 20 damage would probably be enough to kill most creatures and destroy the materials in most buildings. When it comes to structures, it really would only need to deal enough damage to destroy each individual wall, then deal that damage over a massive blast radius. As for the point? For fun. Also incase I want to try it against any super overpowered monsters with massive amounts of health I come up with just for fun. I'll check out the rules for it in Armory, maybe then I'll take a crack at it.
                Er, 20? No. That leaves a body.

There are silhouettes on the ruined walls of Hiroshima. They're there because the people in the blast radius weren't beat up until they died. They vaporized.

I'd start at 40 and go up.

I call the Integrity-analogue the "subjective stat".
                An explanation how to use Social Manuevering.
                Guanxi Explanations: 1, 2, 3.

Comment

Right, kinda forgot about just how...vaporized people in a nuclear blast get. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Look up Barefoot Gen (pretty sure you can find the bombing scene on YouTube), it's based off the experiences of a guy that was near ground zero as a kid in Hiroshima.

It's all about blast and heat.

Comment

I don't think 40 is enough. That's not enough to destroy a skyscraper (Size 100, health the same), and there are monsters that can survive 40 damage.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
                        I don't think 40 is enough. That's not enough to destroy a skyscraper (Size 100, health the same), and there are monsters that can survive 40 damage.
                        I guess it would help if you could explain your definition of "destroy a skyscraper" are you talking the building pancakes and is a smoking ruin or all the windows get blown out and is left a burnt out husk?

This site might help you figure out the various ranges

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/
                        Last edited by BurritoMage; 02-27-2017, 11:30 PM.

Comment

You need something like 100,000 damage at minimum

Mechs: Because even the Chronicles of Darkness needs robot fights.
                          DarkFrame: Crossover setting that puts Chronicles of Darkness in the far future that is Warframe.
                          Monarch: The Endless You are an alien ruler, charged with maintaining a people who you shape to suit your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post
                            Not really. If a skyscraper is size 100 and 3 Durability for being made of steel, it'll have a total structure of 103 and reduce incoming damage by 3 (aggravated damage normally bypasses structure, but the rules for explosives in Hurt Locker say objects downgrade damage from the initial blast equal to their Durability. Since objects don't differentiate between damage types, this rule seems only to exist to insure objects at ground zero of an explosion don't have their Durability bypassed). So at most you would only need 106 damage to guarantee destruction of even the largest buildings. Keeping in mind that explosives deal their damage automatically once, and deal it again on a successful Force roll (which is not penalized by Defense), PLUS any successes on the Force roll, even that's tremendous overkill. 53 damage will destroy a skyscraper on a successful Force roll, though it'd leave it at half its Structure on a failure. To keep a nuke's damage from being wildly swingy, you'd want its Force to be pretty high, and that means we can probably get away with reducing its base damage even further. All of the example explosives in Hurt Locker have Force slightly higher than their Damage, so I would say maybe 40 damage and 50 Force seems pretty reasonable. Excluding the absurdly low probability of 0 successes on a 50-dice Force roll, that will do at least 80 damage before Force successes, that's still more than enough to vaporize any living thing with less than 80 health boxes at ground zero, less than 41 health boxes in the primary blast radius, or less than 27 health boxes in the secondary blast radius. With 50 dice, you can reasonably expect about 16 successes on average. That's actually slightly less damage than it takes to level a skyscraper, but it's easily within the range of possibility, which is about where it should be, given that nukes don't completely level everything past about a mile, which I would describe as their "ground zero".

EDIT: Honestly though, the Hurt Locker explosives rules are meant to model anti-personnel explosives like grenades, not WMDs. It gets weird because realistically there should be more variation in the structural damage based on blast radii, but the Hurt Locker explosives rules only vary the damage by type, not by quantity. For realistic Bomb mechanics we would need a different system.
                            Last edited by Charlaquin; 02-28-2017, 04:36 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Almarck View Post
                              No. Bad Almarck. Bad.

I'm going to put my vote behind "40 Damage, 50 Force", if only because that would allow really powerful, really tough monsters to survive direct nuclear strikes.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Comment

Working...
                              X