X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Shuanksen?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

A Lair 10 Incarnate Beast with Looming Presence can get up to 47 health (10 Size from Incarnate + 20 from LP satiety expenditure + 6 from Giant increasing base size + 11 from Epic Potential increasing the stamina cap) and if you allow Armor to apply they can soak another 15 (10 from Incarnate + 4 from Unbreakable + 1 from Epic Iron Skin) Altogether that's hypothetically enough for somebody gone full Kaiju to get up and keep going after a 60 Agg hit. Add in Relentless Hunter and they can be back to nearly full health in two turns if they have Satiety left to burn (And if your Hunger is for Power I would say surviving a nuke to the face is a viable demonstration)

For reference though some of the most powerful missiles from the old Armory book have damage ratings of 20-25 and enough armor piercing to ignore any amount of armor.

Comment

Also, the gap in nuke sizes between the American M-28/29 and the soviet Tsar Bomba is, well, massive. The M-28/29 was the size of a large pumpkin, fired from a tripod-mounted recoilless rifle, with a yield of only around 20 tons of TNT. It had a range of up to 2 miles. The Tsar Bomba had a yield of 50,000 KILO-tons of TNT. The Tsar Bomba would incinerate any player splat. Perhaps even MOST player splats could survive the M-28/29, if statted up right, and with a little ingenuity.

Comment

HelmsDerp I think you are forgetting that an atomic bomb isn't just some large explosion akin to a moab, the initial reaction is a release of energy with a temperature measured in the millions of degrees, followed by an intense blast wave formed nanoseconds later.

Most nuclear tipped missiles these days are composed of several independent warheads each somewhere in the 50 mega ton range, so while your example Beast could possibly tank one, what about 8 to 10?

Comment

My point is not whether surviving a nuke makes sense, my point is how much damage is survivable, because if you're worrying about specific numbers rather than an ST fiat "It's a nuke, you die" you want to know how much damage it actually takes to drop an epic level monster. My point is that 40 damage is not enough to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
              My point is not whether surviving a nuke makes sense, my point is how much damage is survivable, because if you're worrying about specific numbers rather than an ST fiat "It's a nuke, you die" you want to know how much damage it actually takes to drop an epic level monster. My point is that 40 damage is not enough to do that.
              Remember, under Hurt Locker's explosive rules, a 40 damage explosive doesn't just do 40 damage. It does 80 damage assuming at least one Force success, plus additional damage equal to the successes rolled on the Force dice pool. That's about 96 on average for a 40 Damage, 50 Force explosive, and potentially much more.

And again, this is under rules that are designed to model grenades, not bombs. Realistically, a nuke is going to do far more damage at its epicenter and far less at the extremities, but that's not how the explosives rules that we have work, so as long as we are insisting on modeling this using the insufficient explosive mechanics, we're going to need to compromise between the "total destruction of literally everything" at ground zero and the "pretty minor damage from the actual blast, most of the actual danger is from residual radiation" at the outer edge of the blast radius.
              Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-01-2017, 01:34 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

How's this? I had a bit of trouble figuring out what blast area and radiation area to use, so if anybody has better estimates then feel free to tell me and I'll update it. Conditions are based off of the radiation poisoning rules from Armory.

Name: Little Boy
                Damage: 40
                Blast Area: 1200 Yards
                Force: 50
                Effects: Anyone within a mile of the bomb's Ground Zero area suffers the Radiation (Acute) Condition. Anyone within 2 miles of the bomb's Primary Blast Area suffers the Radiation Poisoning (Severe) Condition. Anyone within 4 miles of the bomb's Secondary Blast Area suffers the Radiation Poisoning (Light) Condition.

Radiation Poisoning (Light):
                The character has been exposed to light radiation poisoning. When afflicted with this Condition, make a Stamina + Resolve roll with a -2 penalty, on a failure immediately take 3 lethal damage. For the duration of this Condition the character takes a -1 penalty to all rolls, and may experience vomiting and headaches. The character is considered infertile for the next 30 days after this Condition is resolved.
                Resolving This Condition:
                This Condition resolves automatically after 24 hours have passed.

Radiation Poisoning (Severe)
                The character has been exposed to severe radiation poisoning. When afflicted with this Condition, the character must make a Stamina + Resolve roll with a -4 penalty, once per day for three days. On a failure, the character takes 3 lethal damage. The character's hair falls out, they begin to bleed from their mouth, and they vomit regularly. They also experience extreme fatigue, taking a -3 penalty to all rolls for the duration of this Condition. Once per month after exposure for up to 6 months, make a Stamina + Resolve roll. On a failure, the character suffers some sort of cancer as a result of the exposure. The character is infertile for 60 days after exposure.
                The Condition is resolved automatically after one week.

Radiation Poisoning (Acute)
                The character suffers from extreme radiation poisoning. Without some sort of protection, such as a radiation suit, the character may not make Stamina + Resolve rolls. The character immediately takes 3 lethal damage as they vomit uncontrollably and experience immense fatigue. For 12 hours after exposure, the character suffers a -3 penalty to all rolls. After this, the character feels fine for another three days, with only minimal pain. After three days, the character suffers 5 lethal damage each day for five days, suffering massive internal Bleeding and bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. The character also suffers a -5 penalty to all rolls for the rest of the duration of this Condition. The character is permanently sterile.
                Resolving The Condition:
                This Condition is resolved automatically after 8 days and 12 hours.
                Last edited by Enderdragon1201; 03-01-2017, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Only issue I see is that Blast Areas don't work that way. You don't list the range of each Blast Area separately, you only list the diameter of the Primary Blast Area. The Secondary Blast Area is always twice that diameter, and the book doesn't tell us how to calculate Ground Zero but I assume it must be half the diameter of the Primary Blast Area.

Why they didn't use radius, I have no idea.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Oh, also explosives cause Tilts, not Conditions. I would make radiation an environmental Tilt that the bomb creates, and have your Radiation Poisoning Conditions be caused by spending too much time in an area with the Radiation Tilt.

Comment

For some reason, I can't find where the chronicles of darkness core book mentions Tilts, I could only find Conditions.

Comment

Page 93. They're listed at 280.

Comment

Thanks, I'll start working on making a Tilt for the nukes.

Comment

Here is the updated bomb. Also threw in the Tsar Bomba, the biggest nuke ever detonated.

Name: Little Boy
                            Damage: 40
                            Blast Area: 1200 Yards
                            Force: 50
                            Effects: Apply the Radiation (Acute) Tilt in a mile radius around the bomb's Ground Zero area. Apply the Radiation (Severe) Tilt in a 2 mile radius around the bomb's Primary Blast Area. Apply the Radiation (Light) Tilt in a 4 mile radius around the bomb's Secondary Blast Area.

Name: Tsar Bomba
                            Damage: 250
                            Blast Area: 20 Miles
                            Force: 270
                            Effects: Apply the Radiation (Acute) Tilt in a 5 mile radius around the bomb's Ground Zero area. Apply the Radiation (Severe) Tilt in a 10 mile radius around the bomb's Primary Blast Area. Apply the Radiation (Light) Tilt in a 20 mile radius around the bomb's Secondary Blast Area.

Radiation (Light):
                            Environmental Tilt
                            Description:
                            The area seeps with small amounts of radiation.
                            Effects:
                            Characters caught in the area of the Tilt will gain the Radiation Poisoning (Light) Condition. Protective gear such as radiation suits make a character immune to the effects of this Tilt.
                            Ending The Tilt:
                            This Tilt may be ended by decontaminating the area. Aside from that, only supernatural powers or time can end the Tilt.

Radiation (Severe):
                            Environmental Tilt
                            Description:
                            The area is blanketed with potentially lethal amounts of radiation.
                            Effects:
                            Characters caught in the area of the Tilt will gain the Radiation Poisoning (Severe) Condition. Protective gear such as radiation suits downgrade the effects of this Tilt, causing it to instead apply the Radiation Poisoning (Light) Condition.
                            Ending The Tilt:
                            Only supernatural powers or time can end the Tilt.

Radiation (Acute):
                            Environmental Tilt
                            Description:
                            The area has been bathed in lethal amount of radiation, causing extreme danger to anything caught within the area.
                            Effects:
                            Characters caught in the area of the Tilt will gain the Radiation Poisoning (Acute) Condition. Protective gear such as radiation suits downgrade the effects of this Tilt, causing it to instead apply the Radiation Poisoning (Severe) Condition.
                            Ending The Tilt:
                            Only supernatural powers or time can end the Tilt.

Radiation Poisoning (Light):
                            The character has been exposed to light radiation poisoning. When afflicted with this Condition, make a Stamina + Resolve roll with a -2 penalty, on a failure immediately take 3 lethal damage. For the duration of this Condition the character takes a -1 penalty to all rolls, and may experience vomiting and headaches. The character is considered infertile for the next 30 days after this Condition is resolved.
                            This Condition resolves automatically after 24 hours have passed.

Radiation Poisoning (Severe)
                            The character has been exposed to severe radiation poisoning. When afflicted with this Condition, the character must make a Stamina + Resolve roll with a -4 penalty, once per day for three days. On a failure, the character takes 3 lethal damage. The character's hair falls out, they begin to bleed from their mouth, and they vomit regularly. They also experience extreme fatigue, taking a -3 penalty to all rolls for the duration of this Condition. Once per month after exposure for up to 6 months, make a Stamina + Resolve roll. On a failure, the character suffers some sort of cancer as a result of the exposure. The character is infertile for 60 days after exposure.
                            The Condition is resolved automatically after one week.

Radiation Poisoning (Acute)
                            The character suffers from extreme radiation poisoning. Without some sort of protection, such as a radiation suit, the character may not make Stamina + Resolve rolls. The character immediately takes 3 lethal damage as they vomit uncontrollably and experience immense fatigue. For 12 hours after exposure, the character suffers a -3 penalty to all rolls. After this, the character feels fine for another three days, with only minimal pain. After three days, the character suffers 5 lethal damage each day for five days, suffering massive internal Bleeding and bouts of vomiting and diarrhea. The character also suffers a -5 penalty to all rolls for the rest of the duration of this Condition. The character is permanently sterile.
                            Resolving The Condition:
                            This Condition is resolved automatically after 8 days and 12 hours.

Comment

Working...
                            X