Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Social Combat discussion.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Social Combat discussion.

    It can last weeks, if you have an average impression, this seems like it could be awkward for many purposes.

    like, when I was 21 only a week or two I treated myself out.

    Didnt know much about wine or beer (still dont know as much as I should) one of the servers, tried talking me up as much as he could to see how much he could squeeze out of me.



  • #2
    I assume that you're talking about Social Maneuvering from 2E instead of Social Combat from 1E (Danse Macabre)

    From what I understand, Social Maneuvering isn't necessarily socialization than it is "I need a favor from someone that I'm not entirely familiar with", which is why Impressions and Doors are so important to this system. And this is for things that are pretty substantial and relatively impersonal. Social Maneuvering would be something like "I need to find a way to get tickets into this concert; let's coerce this person into helping me out" rather than "I need someone to watch my house; let's get this stranger to do it." You would gradually be opening Doors by helping them out so that they would help you out; the Impression just determines how they feel about you and how willing they are to lend a hand.

    From what happened with you, I feel that if you were to translate that experience into game mechanics, that would fall under Investigation, as the server wanted to figure out information about you, specifically your knowledge on alcohol (this is what I am assuming what you wrote).

    Comment


    • #3
      That section should really lead with Forcing Doors, which is the system for trying to persuade somebody in a single roll. A lot of social interactions are going to be this.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by HelmsDerp View Post
        That section should really lead with Forcing Doors, which is the system for trying to persuade somebody in a single roll. A lot of social interactions are going to be this.
        Most social interactions aren't Social Manouvering.

        Comment


        • #5
          Not all social interactions, but a fair amount of social interactions is making demands to or persuading someone. Which Social Maneuvering encompasses.


          MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

          Comment


          • #6
            The fact that you resent his attempt alone tells me this would be a case of Forcing Doors, if he had truly used the slow method of Social Maneuvering you may have resisted him but you wouldn't come away feeling that he tried to use you.
            It's the difference between the Disciplines Dominate and Majesty.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
              It can last weeks, if you have an average impression, this seems like it could be awkward for many purposes.
              Of course, you can get a Good impression by showering and dressing nicely, an Excellent impression by successfully complementing your mark with a simple Manipulation + Socialze roll or something, and a Perfect impression by giving someone with an Excellent impression a gift. So, you know, there's that.

              Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
              like, when I was 21 only a week or two I treated myself out.

              Didnt know much about wine or beer (still dont know as much as I should) one of the servers, tried talking me up as much as he could to see how much he could squeeze out of me.
              Sounds like a Forcing Doors roll (which by the way is how most short-term social exchanges are resolved in this system), and it sounds like he failed.


              Onyx Path Forum Moderator

              My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

              Comment


              • #8
                Even if we called it normal Social Maneuvering, it sounds like a poor attempt that ended with raising Impression to hostile because no really attempt was made to raise it, and then no follow up was made to salvage it. This could be a bunch of options for how it went bad for the server.

                Comment


                • #9
                  just a few minutes ago had a visit from some "Church of Jesus christ of latter day saints"

                  I was able to brush them off easily enough in spite of their politeness

                  is their a way to model that kind of rejection based on prior experience


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                    just a few minutes ago had a visit from some "Church of Jesus christ of latter day saints"

                    I was able to brush them off easily enough in spite of their politeness

                    is their a way to model that kind of rejection based on prior experience
                    This is Forcing Doors again.

                    Just because they were nice and polite doesn't change that: they were just trying to improve their First Impression from Hostile (strangers at the door) to Average. Then they failed, probably because there were too many Doors (previous experiences sounds like a general modifier, probably +1 Doors in this case).


                    "Nihhina kalekal-zidu kal masun, kal manudanadu. Nihhina kalekal-zidu nukal shaghu-desasudu — nihhina kalekal-zidu kal innu-desasudu udhkal samm." Arthur Ashe
                    Check out my tumblr for Chronicles of Darkness-related musings
                    He/him pronouns, please

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      something this suggest, is "hostile" doesnt need to mean violent or eeven angry


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                        just a few minutes ago had a visit from some "Church of Jesus christ of latter day saints"

                        I was able to brush them off easily enough in spite of their politeness

                        is their a way to model that kind of rejection based on prior experience
                        You have a Hostile Impression of them, therefore they can't attempt to use Social Maneuvering (including Forcing Doors) against you. Or they automatically fail any attempt they make, which ever way you prefer to look at it.

                        EDIT: Before you say "shouldn't their politeness have raised that Impression to Neutral?", you have to consider the full context of the situation. Their politeness did not outweigh the fact that they were coming to your home unsolicited to talk to you about their religion.
                        Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM.


                        Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                        My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

                          You have a Hostile Impression of them, therefore they can't attempt to use Social Maneuvering (including Forcing Doors) against you. Or they automatically fail any attempt they make, which ever way you prefer to look at it.

                          EDIT: Before you say "shouldn't their politeness have raised that Impression to Neutral?", you have to consider the full context of the situation. Their politeness did not outweigh the fact that they were coming to your home unsolicited to talk to you about their religion.
                          forgot to mention my apt complex has a no soliciting policy


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                            forgot to mention my apt complex has a no soliciting policy
                            Also a reason you might have a Hostile Impression.


                            Onyx Path Forum Moderator

                            My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              two more cases a few years ago I got a phone call from some debt collection agency, just the previous month Id been suckered by some tele-conmen.

                              so i was automaticly on guard.... asked how I could be sure iat wasnt a scam they told me simply "It isnt a scam" I cussed them out....actuaally reported it to AT&T as a scam only to find it was NOT a scam... I called them in a panic and apolagized.

                              and as for gifts I was able to ingratiate myself to the rest of my towns anime club by buying a pizza.

                              how large a gift is that?


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X