Social Combat discussion.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
    two more cases a few years ago I got a phone call from some debt collection agency, just the previous month Id been suckered by some tele-conmen.

so i was automaticly on guard.... asked how I could be sure iat wasnt a scam they told me simply "It isnt a scam" I cussed them out....actuaally reported it to AT&T as a scam only to find it was NOT a scam... I called them in a panic and apolagized.
    Hostile impression, obviously. After you found out it wasn't a scam, your Impression returned to Neutral.

and as for gifts I was able to ingratiate myself to the rest of my towns anime club by buying a pizza.

how large a gift is that?
    Soft Leverage. It raises the subject's Impression of you by one step. That said, unless you were trying to get your town's anime club to do something for you, Social Maneuvering wouldn't really be an appropriate way to model the interaction. Social Maneuvering is for when one character is trying to convince another character to do something.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
    My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
      Hostile impression, obviously. After you found out it wasn't a scam, your Impression returned to Neutral.

Soft Leverage. It raises the subject's Impression of you by one step. That said, unless you were trying to get your town's anime club to do something for you, Social Maneuvering wouldn't really be an appropriate way to model the interaction. Social Maneuvering is for when one character is trying to convince another character to do something.

I know that, a way to model in that kind of mistake or misunderstanding?

was what I wasking

someone else had brought pizza a few weeks ago I didnt want to be outdone.

Comment

I know that, a way to model in that kind of mistake or misunderstanding?

was what I wasking
        I don't understand what you're asking if that doesn't answer it. You had a Hostile impression of them due to the misunderstanding, and therefore they were unable to attempt to use Social Maneuvering against you. When the misunderstanding was later resolved, your impression returned to Neutral. That's how you model that scenario in the Social Maneuvering system.

someone else had brought pizza a few weeks ago I didnt want to be outdone.
        Ok. Well, if you weren't trying to get them to do something for you, then you weren't using Social Maneuvering. If you had been trying to get them to do something, a gift of pizza would have been an offer of Soft Leverage, which if they had accepted it, would have raised their Impression of you by one step.

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post
          I don't understand what you're asking if that doesn't answer it. You had a Hostile impression of them due to the misunderstanding, and therefore they were unable to attempt to use Social Maneuvering against you. When the misunderstanding was later resolved, your impression returned to Neutral. That's how you model that scenario in the Social Maneuvering system.

Ok. Well, if you weren't trying to get them to do something for you, then you weren't using Social Maneuvering. If you had been trying to get them to do something, a gift of pizza would have been an offer of Soft Leverage, which if they had accepted it, would have raised their Impression of you by one step.

Ok what I was asking is what would the best thing in system to cause that kind of misunderstanding be? a Dramatic failure?

Comment

Ok what I was asking is what would the best thing in system to cause that kind of misunderstanding be? a Dramatic failure?
            Roleplaying. Your previous experience with tele-conmen left you suspicious of people asking questions about money on the phone, and the debt collectors said nothing that would alleviate this suspicion. There's no roll necessary in this situation.

Remember, dice only get rolled when the outcome of an action is uncertain. There was no uncertainty in this situation, your "character" was hostile towards people trying to get money from them over the phone, and the debt collectors' approach involved trying to get money from you over the phone. No need for a roll, because based on the approach, the action had no chance of succeeding in the first place.

Comment

Working...
            X