[Dark Eras] Wolf & Raven - 1066: End of Vikings - Inspirations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Dark Eras] Wolf & Raven - 1066: End of Vikings - Inspirations

We have all the craze lately on the beginning of Vikings Era - But what about endings of it? I found this interesting documentary miniseries about this topic - 1066: A Year to Conquer England

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

While not quite the end of the period, I enjoyed Bernard Cornwall's The Last Kingdom series, set in the end of the 9th century amidst Saxon and Danish England. I've not watched any of the TV series based on it though.

Also, Poul Anderson's Mother of Kings, a retelling of the story of Gunnhild as historical fiction in the 10th century of Norway during its conversion to Christianity.

Nonfiction wise, The Year 1000: What Life Was Like at the Turn of the First Millennium, An Englishman's World by Robert Lacey and Danny Danziger, and 1066: The Year of the Conquest by David Howarth. Both are short, readable and give a good overview of the period.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
    Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Note that the beginning and ending of the Viking Age are pretty fuzzy chronologically. The historical dates, 793 and 1066 are tied to specific battles, which had more historical significance to the English than to the Scandinavians. Archaeologically speaking, those dates don't really seem to mark the beginning or ending of anything special. It was a period marked more by Scandinavian expansion than by any noteworthy change in Scandinavian culture or technology. Though, twoards the end of the period, Christianity did spread much more in the area.
      Last edited by Charlaquin; 03-10-2017, 03:11 AM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

This moment when you watch documentary mini-series about XI century England and you realize that this is the story about Vikings, fighting with Anglo-Saxons coming from Vikings ( because Germanic people ) and Normandy knights, being - you guessed it - decedents of Vikings! So it's Vikings, fighting Vikings and Vikings. England, in reality, is Scandinavian colony that went on Christianity!

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
        My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
        MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Working...
        X