Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What books do I need to play Chronicles of Darkness?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What books do I need to play Chronicles of Darkness?

I want to play Mage: the Awakening so I assume I need Chronicles of Darkness and Mage: the Awakening.

Do any of the books come with a bestiary and adventures in addition to character creation?

What books have adventures for Mage: the Awakening?

Or can I use any Chronicles of Darkness, Vampire: the Requiem, and Werewolf: the Forsaken mix and matching to play a mage playable character.

Would it affect balance?

Are there any recommendations for Mage: the Awakening adventure books?

Thanks.

All 2E books (which includes Mage: The Awakening) are stand alone and don't require Chronicles of Darkness to play. But I do recommend getting Chronicles of Darkness to get access to more Merits for players and NPCs, Supernatural Merits for Sleepwalkers in Mage, and the Horror Creation rules to gain another way of creating antagonists for your players.
    The closest thing to a bestiary would be the Night Horrors series. I think there's one Night Horrors book for mage, but it's from first edition so it might require some updating. Dunno how much since I haven't read it yet.

Bloodline: The Stygians
    Ordo Dracul Mystery: Coil of Smoke

Comment

One book takes the roll of player and storyteller books. There is no "bestiary" or "monster manual", the night horrors book are more like... Example villains. You're expected to make up your own monsters if you need them.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyN831 View Post
        Looking at DriveThruRPG.com

Mage: The Awakening Demo
        Reign of the Exarchs
        Secrets of the Ruined Temple (I think)
        Lines of Power
        The Abedju Cipher
        Falling Scales

As for bestiaries, I think the only things in the way of "collections of monsters/threats" are Intruders: Encounters with the Abyss and Night Horrors: The Unbidden.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Are there any recommendations for Mage: the Awakening adventure books?
          As experienced Mage ST I would first ask you if any of examples No One of Consequence shown really grasp you ( as person ) as intriguing Mystery. 2E Mage, compared to 1E materials, is all the time sticking to 'Mystery' idea - i.e. magical phenomena - that drives characters as Obsessions. Anything not easily explained by normal people can be it, but point is that characters are literally 'Obsessed' over this idea - and so ST should be, at least in his game world, I think. Ergo, you really should like particular adventure topic to run it as Mystery - to make it convincing for players themselves. To make them feel wanting to dwell deep in to it. And do some nasty things to uncovering secrets of it...

Also, Secrets of the Ruined Temple is general book on 'magical archaeology stories building', with theories on various Atlantis versions, bestiary and some traps - not particular adventure. Instead, there is Beast of Burden adventure in Boston Unveiled 1E setting book - but it's from very early Mage gameline version and can be tricky to run with 2E, so will probably have help in converting it. If you consider running game in 2E Mage in it, we have fan update of setting of Boston to 2E, using 12 years of gameline lore. I didn't know that Falling Scales are adventure to Mage in the first place...
          Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-11-2017, 11:50 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
          My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
          MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

I want to play Mage: the Awakening so I assume I need Chronicles of Darkness and Mage: the Awakening.
            Mage: the Awakening stands on its own, you don't need any other books to play it. Chronicles of Darkness is still a great book to get though, and includes some optional subsystems not found in Mage, including one for monster buiolding.

Do any of the books come with a bestiary and adventures in addition to character creation?
            All of the second edition core books include a section with some example antagonists. There's nothing like a monster manual though. For the most part you will have to build your own antagonists using the rules found in the antagonists chapter of each core book and/or the Horrors rules in Chronicles of Darkness.

There are none for second edition. Some folks have already listed some SAS adventures, which are great, though they were written for first edition and may require some work to carry over to second.

Or can I use any Chronicles of Darkness, Vampire: the Requiem, and Werewolf: the Forsaken mix and matching to play a mage playable character.

Would it affect balance?
            Each game line (Mage: the Awakening, Vampire: the Requiem, Werewolf: the Forsaken, etc.) is designed to be its own complete game, and all of these games exist in the same setting. Their rules are mostly compatible, but there are some small variations, and are balanced internally (to an extent, though game balance is an illusuon anyway), but they are definitely not balanced against each other.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post

Also, Secrets of the Ruined Temple is general book on 'magical archaeology stories building', with theories on various Atlantis versions, bestiary and some traps - not particular adventure.
              Thanks. I wasn't sure about SotRT as I'd never picked it up originally and just saw something in the description about chronicles. (I also don't know much about the differences between 1st and 2nd as all I have is the 1st ed. Yes, I'm old, uncool and behind the times. Leave me alone.)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
              Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Charlaquin View Post

All of the second edition core books include a section with some example antagonists.
                That's not true, at least in case of Mage. Mage has descriptions of potentially antagonist factions, but there isn't a single write up of a specific person, and there is no single example stat block in the whole book. Ditto for Abyssal "creatures": they are only briefly described with a note to "treat them as Spirits and Goetia", with zero examples and zero example stat blocks - they lack their own rules.
                Mage is, in general, extremely newcomer unfriendly.
                Last edited by WHW; 03-11-2017, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                  That's not true, at least in case of Mage. Mage has descriptions of potentially antagonist factions, but there isn't a single write up of a specific person, and there is no single example stat block in the whole book. Ditto for Abyssal "creatures": they are only briefly described with a note to "treat them as Spirits and Goetia", with zero examples and zero example stat blocks - they lack their own rules.
                  Basically, for running Mage, you will often hit the game subforum so people will help you hammer your idea with 2E rules. It's not a bad thing, as forumers have much more creative control than game developers for gameline ( as no one will be going to your house and tell you 'you are playing game wrong!' ), but you must be ready for the lack in the corebook any proper 'monsters' examples.

Closest to 'bestiaries' are Intruders: Encouters with Abyss and Night Horrors: The Unbidden - and they are both realy cool books with cool antagonists for Mage, for Abyssal and 'magical' threat resperctivly. You only need to be read to make small updates to 2E mechanics yourself - or ask politely on forum, on each basis.

As for 2E example antagonists - we still wait for the Signs of Sorcery that will be first proper 2E supplement book, with Abyssal and Supernal Mysteries examples. Still, we do not know how much we will wait for it, so I advise to get Intruders or Night Horrors books, if you are interested in those kind of threats to characters.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
                  My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                  MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                    Mage is, in general, extremely newcomer unfriendly.
                    Oh, you're right. I forgot, Mage packed its antagonists section with a ton of different kinds of antagonists and rules for some of them, but didn't have room for many examples.

And yeah, Mage is definitely made with existing fans in mind and not newcomers.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Working...
                    X