Firearm Strength Requirements

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashenrogue View Post
    They can perform feats you would assume an average person can. This system doesn't like to assign hard numbers for this type of thing so just use your better judgment.
    Which is all well and good but I need a reference for average in order to do so and I need to know what said average individual is a capable of before I can extrapolate the capabilities of someone stronger or weaker. Let me try something else, something that I would have an easier time conceptualizing because I know them and what they can do. If I can figure this out then it will probably be easier to get through my thick skull.

Should i take my 6' tall, 200lb. Dad who used to rodeo and lifts very heavy things as part of his job all the time as an example of 3 or 4 strength? Is my 5' tall 100lb. sister a 1 or 2? So likewise am i, a 5'6", 160lb. Man a strength 2 or 3? Or my best friend who's lanky as all get out, is 6'7" and weighs 150lb. Who I know I'm stronger than but still pretty close to my strength , is he a 2 or a 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Jub-Jub View Post

Which is all well and good but I need a reference for average in order to do so and I need to know what said average individual is a capable of before I can extrapolate the capabilities of someone stronger or weaker. Let me try something else, something that I would have an easier time conceptualizing because I know them and what they can do. If I can figure this out then it will probably be easier to get through my thick skull.

Should i take my 6' tall, 200lb. Dad who used to rodeo and lifts very heavy things as part of his job all the time as an example of 3 or 4 strength? Is my 5' tall 100lb. sister a 1 or 2? So likewise am i, a 5'6", 160lb. Man a strength 2 or 3? Or my best friend who's lanky as all get out, is 6'7" and weighs 150lb. Who I know I'm stronger than but still pretty close to my strength , is he a 2 or a 3?

I'd put your dad at a 3 because of the lifting heavy things for work part. 4, I would reserve for pro athlete level strength.

The rest you aren't talking about their strength just their build so hard to say. With you and your friend if its close enough that youd dont know the differemnce than I'd say use the same, how do either of you compare to your dad?

Comment

For all of the examples the answer is either/or depending on what you think they should be. Each dot represents a pretty wide range of Strength, so it comes down to what what you think they should be.

Would you describe your dad as exceptionally strong or just well above average? Do you perceive your sister as being relatively average strength-wise, or do you think her a bit on the weak side compared to her peers? Do you see yourself as above average, and do you think your friend so far below you as to be average to your above average or a bit weak to your just average, or is it still close enough that regardless of if you are average or above average he'd be the same?

Comment

Originally posted by ElvesofZion View Post

I'd put your dad at a 3 because of the lifting heavy things for work part. 4, I would reserve for pro athlete level strength.

The rest you aren't talking about their strength just their build so hard to say. With you and your friend if its close enough that youd dont know the differemnce than I'd say use the same, how do either of you compare to your dad?
          My sister can't lift 50lbs. Not Without using both arms with a good bit of effort. I can lift 50lbs. In one arm with no difficulty, my friend the same. We once had to lift 50kg(110lbs about) cement bags and carry them and I can lift them up to my shoulder and carry them at about a light jog, same with my friend. Me, my father and my friend are all avid shooters and we can shoot a 45-70 govt comfortably, though admittedly that might represent skill rather than strength. Hopefully that can give an idea, my perceptions are a bit skewed which might be why I have so much confusion(I swear i'm intelligence 1 sometimes), also none of us hit the gym.. ever. I used to do martial arts and used to do some heavy workout routines twice a week but haven't done that for a couple of years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs View Post
            edit: The rest of the Size description on the chart has 2 as must use two hands and 3 can use two hands so apparently they use "must" and "can" interchangeably on that chart.
            I think you could use two handed weapons of certain size using one hand, in exchange boosting their STR requirements by 1. I might be totally making this up or misremembering.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
              I think you could use two handed weapons of certain size using one hand, in exchange boosting their STR requirements by 1. I might be totally making this up or misremembering.
              You remember correctly, for Melee. What Size means is different depending on which chart you are looking at, although it is a slight difference only. I'm not aware of that working for Ranged, and my gut feeling is that doesn't make sense for rifles or bows, but I think that is left to discretion.

Comment

I think the core concept that should be remembered here is that Skill/Attribute dots are an abstraction. Even stuff like size is usually a measure of volume, not length or weight. There's no direct conversion to lifts, dragging, or accuracy because it's a narrative game rather than a numbers game.
                If you're not liking how something is, change it. Recognize, however, that those abstractions are created within the same framework, and even if they aren't perfectly balanced they share thematic goals. The 'heavy' weights are more a measure of something being unwieldy in a world designed for people without training. In your specific case, I'd say the penalty for the size of the weapon is offset by a Skill Specialty in 'heavy pistols', rendering you with neither a bonus nor penalty to 'your' Dexterity + Firearms, or there could be other mechanical justifications.

Comment

My sister can't lift 50lbs. Not Without using both arms with a good bit of effort. I can lift 50lbs. In one arm with no difficulty, my friend the same. We once had to lift 50kg(110lbs about) cement bags and carry them and I can lift them up to my shoulder and carry them at about a light jog, same with my friend. Me, my father and my friend are all avid shooters and we can shoot a 45-70 govt comfortably, though admittedly that might represent skill rather than strength. Hopefully that can give an idea, my perceptions are a bit skewed which might be why I have so much confusion(I swear i'm intelligence 1 sometimes), also none of us hit the gym.. ever. I used to do martial arts and used to do some heavy workout routines twice a week but haven't done that for a couple of years now.

So yeah, I'd go with 1 for your sister, 3 for you, your friend, and your dad. That leaves 2 for someone who can lift the 50 pounds with both arms but not one. Something like that seems fine to me.

Comment

Yeah, Strength in CofD isn't really about you BMI or how much you can lift, it's about what narrative role you fill in terms of physical prowess. Are you the big guy everyone looks to when a door needs to be broken down or a face needs to be punched? Your Strength is probably 3 or more. Are you the waif who struggles with physical tasks the rest of the group doesn't? Your Strength is probably 1. Otherwise, your Strength is probably 2.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator

My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Comment

Thanks guys, sorry I'm such a block head. I guess my mind just works in reverse for these kinds of things, I like to base the narrative off the numbers rather than the numbers off the narrative.

Comment

Thanks guys, sorry I'm such a block head. I guess my mind just works in reverse for these kinds of things, I like to base the narrative off the numbers rather than the numbers off the narrative.
                        that's totally completely fine, and there are lots of games where that is actually a smart thing to do. CofD is just not built that way.

Comment

As a related aside, I wouldn't say you have a low Intelligence/block-head status. You had a legitimate argument against your interpretation of the rules, and that argument was presented factually in clear terms; I'd say that was at worst a low Wits score, though likely just an Academics or Investigation penalty because you were unfamiliar with the system :P
                          Last edited by Necrophear; 03-16-2017, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X