Dark Eras companion backer pdf

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
    Nope. I made a lot of the initial threads based off of what I've read to date. Haven't got to A Year Without Summer yet and I suspect that's the case with others too. I'll note there is no thread for Lifting the Veil either, and while I haven't finished yet, I honestly think it is one of the best eras of the entire Kickstarter. From what I've simmer of YWS, it looks pretty awesome.
    Even then, I'm not sure what that says about the Era in that everyone is quick to run off and read through the other Eras before getting to this one.

Although I suppose when you have the high-level concepts of each era be stuff like "Russian Revolution of 1917", "Black Death in Europe", "Ancient Roman Empire w/ Werewolves" versus "a clash of the Romantic period and the birth of one of the default Promethean Lineages", the formers are going to win over the latter.
    Last edited by tasti man LH; 03-29-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I think everyone came into the book with certain interests. It's natural for people to go straight to them upon getting the book. Then there's the fact that not every backer is even on the forum. And, in my own views entirely without any factual numbers to look at, I think the forum's been less busy this week.

It's interesting, I went back to see the Update for it to see what it was up against.

Geist: The Roanoke Colony
      Promethean: Year Without a Summer (1816 Germany/Switzerland) - a volcanic eruption in 1815 led to a 1816 having no summer which caused famine and food riots in Europe. And in June 1816, Mary Shelley, Lord Byron, and John Polidori stayed indoors and told each other scary stories...
      Hunter: WWII in the Pacific
      Vampire: On the Orient Express - elegance and claustrophobia on the most romantic of pre-WW2 trains.
      Hunter: 1830s India - The Thuggee cult was active during that time.
      Geist: Haiti in the 1970s-80s - a la Serpent and the Rainbow.
      Vampire: Jazz Age Requiem - Prohibition and the Great Gatsby. With maybe a pinch of Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

Obviously Geist won the next round. It was at this point I think they were combining eras that had lost before and were just letting backers pick them off. The next stretch goal I think since Roanoke was the runner up, with Promethean only winning by 7 votes, they just automatically had it without a separate vote. Jazz Age Requiem was in a far third. I believe I voted for Hunter in the Pacific. I wanted vampire to win another one but it seemed clear they weren't going to for whatever reason.

The next actual vote had all the failures, and Forsaken by Rome won narrowly against Book of Judges Hunter.
      Last edited by nofather; 03-29-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

After chewing on it for a good long while, I think I've settled on not liking A Year Without Summer. Historical fiction/fantasy that brings actual people into the mix has always felt sort of theme park tacky to me, and I feel like there are smoother ways to integrate Mary Shelley into a world with Frankenstein's Monsters than to actually have her make them herself. I'm also not super sure how to get something playable out of A Year Without Summer; it feels more like a useful bit of setting information than an actual world for my players to jump into.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
          After chewing on it for a good long while, I think I've settled on not liking A Year Without Summer. Historical fiction/fantasy that brings actual people into the mix has always felt sort of theme park tacky to me, and I feel like there are smoother ways to integrate Mary Shelley into a world with Frankenstein's Monsters than to actually have her make them herself. I'm also not super sure how to get something playable out of A Year Without Summer; it feels more like a useful bit of setting information than an actual world for my players to jump into.
          I have noticed a lot more of this in DEC, which I haven't found tacky, but have found a bit jarring. If for no other reason than that I though CofD had been moving away from making historical figures into Supernatural agents. Right now I'm okay with it though.

CofD booklists:
          Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chances View Post
            I have noticed a lot more of this in DEC, which I haven't found tacky, but have found a bit jarring. If for no other reason than that I though CofD had been moving away from making historical figures into Supernatural agents.
            For accountability's sake, don't forget that we made the Brothers Grimm a Changeling and a Fetch.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
            Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

I like the Year Without Summer as a story... but I'm not sure I like it as a setting if that makes any sense. It feels like a completed story to me, I'm not sure how any game I'd run could add to it.

That said, the Promethean sections are blowing me away, because it's adding more horrifying and beautiful stuff that's just out there that Promethean characters can get in to, and gives me a better idea of what Promethean NPCs do in their spare time, and what Athanors are like. I particularly liked the one with the eternal Firestorm, a Tammuz frozen in stasis by a qashmal to save her from falling off the Pilgrimage so she can take the final step and complete the New Dawn.

Comment

Because I forgot to actually post it: the Amirani might be my favorite Lineage now, I'm in love with the Refinement of Pneuma (and would adore seeing other historical variants, failed or otherwise), and thought the bit on framing a medieval Pilgimage not as a quest for humanity for humanity's sake, but rather a journey towards a soul and oneness with God after death.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about Year Without Summer. I mean, it's written well and I can see what the writers were aiming for but, I don't know, I was so convinced that Victor Frankenstein was a thing in the Chronicles of Darkness that the chapter just did not click for me. I am a little old-fashioned when it comes to the classics and while I would have accepted Mary being a part of the story as she is in many adaptations of Frankenstein, cutting out Victor for Polidori is something I did not like. Hell, I would have been more accepting of Mary being the Demiurge without John being a part of the story. Still not the best option if you ask me, but one I could metabolize better.

The fact so much of the chapter is focused on Diodati and its aftermath and does not give as much informations and plot hooks about the era as other chapters is another point of contention for me.

I know there's a sidebar that addresses this specific concern and nothing stops me from Frankenstein being real in my setting, but it's not the same thing, It's clearly a matter of personal preferences and I'm not saying that the chapter is bad or anything, merely that it is not what I hoped it would be. It has parts I like a lot, but still. Oh well, to each his own, you can't like everything.

Sorry if this sounded like a grumpy comment, but that's how I feel about it
                  Last edited by Cinder; 03-30-2017, 05:42 AM.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
                  Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps". When not busy writing homebrew, I also try to write CoD fiction. (All paused until August)

Waiting feverishly as instructed

Comment

What really irks me in the Year without a summer chapter is the assertion that
                    The Prophet lineage needs to be wiped out so that the Frankenstein lineage can Live.

Comment

• Hard copies and PDFs are now here for everyone.

CofD booklists:
                      Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Interesting that they left my name off the "authors" section there, hm.

Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

• Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
                          Interesting that they left my name off the "authors" section there, hm.
                          I see you in there. Both on the credits page and the second page. Sure you got the updated PDF they posted on Monday?

Eric Christian Berg
                          Onyx Path Freelancer
                          Promethean: The Created Second Edition, Dark Eras Companion

Comment

• Originally posted by eberg View Post
                            I see you in there. Both on the credits page and the second page. Sure you got the updated PDF they posted on Monday?
                            On the DriveThruRPG page, I mean. I know there's a limited number of spaces. Interesting how they were allocated.

Comment

• Originally posted by hm8453a View Post
                              On the DriveThruRPG page, I mean. I know there's a limited number of spaces. Interesting how they were allocated.
                              Oh! Didn't even see that. Yeah, I'm left out, too.

Eric Christian Berg
                              Onyx Path Freelancer
                              Promethean: The Created Second Edition, Dark Eras Companion

Comment

• Seems like you should shoot an email to Rich Thomas. But if there's limited space there might be nothing that can be done.

Also, congratulations, eberg, I didn't know you were writing. I see it in the Companion pdf though.

Comment

Working...
                                X