Which splat could this storyline fit in the most

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which splat could this storyline fit in the most

Basically, the story is you are investigating a old maximum security prison built in the 1890s and you end up being unwitting contestants in a twisted game show ala Manhunt. Now you are trapped in this old prison being hunted by murderous psychopaths. Which splat could this scenario fit in?

Any of them, though it would probably be best for ordinary mortals who find psychopaths more of a threat.

Comment

Anything beyond mere mortal would...maybe not require, but be greatly enhanced by adding some splat-adressing twist to this formula.
      Standard Vampire could play this like a DnD Game*, "2d10 of Psychopats enter the room, roll initiative"...but make any source of blood other than Vampires themselves poisonous and harmful, and suddenly, character of the whole event changes dramatically.

*This is not a DnD Bashing, I love me some DnD.

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
        make any source of blood other than Vampires themselves poisonous and harmful, and suddenly, character of the whole event changes dramatically.
        this is a beautiful twist. Not only are the murderous psychopaths coming after you, but their blood has been laced with an alchemical concoction that is harmless to them but corrodes the insides of the vampires. So the vampires could easily take the psychopaths tonight...but what about tomorrow night, and so on? Meanwhile, the deranged individual who set all of this up (Ashwood Abbey??) has cameras all over the prison showing it as entertainment to the rest of his (in-the-know) club, with all of them believing it's more than justified because the protagonists are undead monsters and therefore evil by default. (also the psychopaths are evil by default, so you don't have to feel bad about any of the atrocities occurring.)

To answer the original question, though, I'd say the story as is is definitely a classic mortals game. Reminds me of the old "Asylum" blue book from 1e.

Comment

What if the Psychopaths are Abmortals or Slashers?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

I honestly think a whole series of "Escape from _______" modules would be a great fit for the CofD. I mean, I can think of three our four splats off the top of my head who would totally pull that sort of thing on mortals (vampires, for fun; Beasts, to feed their Hunger; werewolves, for a more interesting hunt; etc.), even setting aside the many other NPC groups and creatures that could get up to that sort of thing.

Fun* stuff to escape from:
            • Old prison (as above)
            • Abandoned amusement park
            • Run-down school complex
            • Skyscraper (start at the top)
            • Decaying industrial site
            * For the players, probably not for the poor smucks stuck inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellydog View Post
              [*]Skyscraper (start at the top)[/LIST]
              Or to make it worse. Make it from the bottom (blocked front door from some sort of disaster), during a blackout, trying to reach a helicopter on the roof to get them out

Comment

All this Skyscraper talking reminds me of http://store.steampowered.com/app/382140/

Comment

Originally posted by WHW View Post
                  All this Skyscraper talking reminds me of http://store.steampowered.com/app/382140/
                  What's so good about the post-apocalyptic outside world though?

Comment

Well, one thing that would probably encourage your vampires to hurry it up in addition to the awesome twist above would be the fact that they are basically on a time-limit: after all, staying awake during the day is hard, and depending on how that Asylum is built, carries the threat of sunrays....

With Werewolves, you could turn this into some sort of Ritual to appease/seal/recruit a Spirit. Just make the psychopaths Claimed.
                    Beasts would arguably not fit very well. Unless you have some sort of Hero that tries to pull an ironic punishment on a minotaur-like Beast and placed a fitting Anathema on them. Or some Insatiables, that try to get to the Brood's Lair this way.
                    Sin-Eaters could work, too, simply add constantly ressurecting Abmortals to ax-crazy psychopaths and make it a haunted place keeping Ghosts prisoners, so that by winning the 'game', they manage to set the ghosts free.

Comment

Freshly-awakened mummies. Let's see the game show guys think up a fancy deathtrap for that
                      Last edited by Urbenmyth; 03-27-2017, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Urbenmyth View Post
                        Freshly-awakened mummies. Let's see the game show guys think up a fancy deathtrap for that

Twould have to be a sealed dimension first off. From there, I dunno, becuase the only info I have on newly-awakened Mummies is "do what they say and don't piss them off, running will not save you". I don't really know their powers very well

Comment

Good suggestions so far. If I make a Beast run the show my only question is this. Where would the beast get the psychos necessary to run the game? Also, I wonder how Mage's, Demons, Promethians or hunters could work in this setting?

Comment

Secret prisons, maybe it's a warden in its 'human' life, or just broke them out. It could have hunted them down individually. Maybe it found some weird website forum where psychopaths gather to brag and offered them money. Maybe it's part of a secret cult that creates or watches slashers. Maybe it's just been following crime reports and hunting them down to recruit for years.

Lots of ways you could go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
                              Good suggestions so far. If I make a Beast run the show my only question is this. Where would the beast get the psychos necessary to run the game?
                              Blackmail. Most people think they would never willingly be part of an atrocity like this, no matter what coercion is applied. Some are right, some are wrong - by the time the Beast is done with them, it will be clear which they are.

Also, I wonder how Mage's, Demons, Promethians or hunters could work in this setting?
                              A badly messed up Promethean throng might take the role of the psychos themselves, observing how the hunted humans behave under this most extreme pressure. Demons probably wouldn't do this - a Cover for which this sort of action makes sense is likely to be more trouble than it is worth - though the arena might be some sort of weird Infrastructure that has to be charged up with primal hunting and survival vibes (and the demons put this together only when they're inside and being hunted, which makes it really dangerous to use their powers to get out). Some mages might do this if they think it stands a chance of Awakening the people being hunted - in this case, the psychos might be magical contructs. Hunters I can't see doing it unless they've become slashers - or possibly Ashwood Abbey doing it to supernatural PC's.

Comment

Working...
                              X