No announcement yet.

What Does Aggravated Damage Look Like?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Aggravated Damage Look Like?

Exactly what it says in the title. How do you describe Aggravated Damage to players to differentiate it from just large amounts of lethal damage? And does it always cause tilts to reflect broken bones or amputated limbs?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

The best way I have come up with to define Bashing vs Lethal vs Aggravated damage is to look at their natural healing times.

​Bashing heals in minutes, even with all of your squares filled with Bashing two or three hours of rest and you are right as rain.
    ​These injuries are more about nerve shock than actual damage. Yes you might have a bruise or cut to go with it but the real effect is the way it momentarily overwhelms your pain sensors, leaving you disoriented or in the case of the funny bone, unable to properly control a limb for a limited amount of time.

​Lethal injuries take normal people two days per point. This represents real damage that prevents the body from working properly like cuts that are more than skin deep, actually damaging the working muscles, or deep bruises that cause flares of pain when you move. These are the kind of injuries that leave you 'taking it easy' until they heal. This might include broken ribs or a cracked skull.

​Aggravated injuries are things that take weeks to heal up. This represents damage to hard tissue, broken bones, or enough damage that the muscle is not just limited but stopped from working all together. These are also injuries that are at risk of bleeding out or being further aggravated if not treated properly. The cut takes more than skin and muscle, it hits an artery. Broken bones create more tissue damage if forced to move. Deep bruises are so bad you'll be pissing blood or drowning as it fills your lungs.

​When choosing a description for an injury think about how long it should take to heal, then describe what fits that schedule.

​That cut may still be there an hour from now but will quickly stop bleeding if you don't pick at it.

​That cut is deep enough to be debilitating but give it a couple of days and though you might be a little stiff, you should be able to use your arm again without pain. You should probably get stitches to minimize the scar.

I have to recommend surgery and in the meantime we better wrap or even cast that to minimize continuing damage. Also you should come up with a good story, that scar is going to be worth a few free drinks.

Comment

Ok, then why does a single Aggravated Damage not cause wound penalties unless it pushes other stuff over?

Comment

Gameplay and story segregation.

I know it's a boring answer, but I think that's 100% the case here.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
          http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GameplayAndStorySegregation"]Gameplay and story segregation.[/URL]

I know it's sa boring answer, but I think that's 100% the case here.
          Oracles damnit

Comment

Although you could call adrenaline pumping you up as an explanation. Like that scene in "All Quiet On The Western Front" where they describe a man running back to the trench on the bloody bone endings that are left of his feet that got blown to bits

Comment

When something deals aggravated damage
              directly, it’s quite obvious. Flesh bubbles and sloughs away.
              Foaming pustules taint the victim’s flesh. Blackened veins
              streak out from the site of the injury. - COFD p.95
              The broken bones sticking out and limbs twisted or bent the wrong way is rollover aggravated damage. Aggravated damage only applies tilts when specific locations are targeted. Wound penalties are already in effect by the time damage rolls over to aggravated along with the dying without medical attention that is going on.

Basically, "pure" aggravated damage is something you only see in movies. As it never happens it is not possible to know what affect it would have on mobility.
              Last edited by Diggs; 03-27-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs View Post

The broken bones sticking out and limbs twisted or bent the wrong way is rollover aggravated damage. Aggravated damage only applies tilts when specific locations are targeted. Wound penalties are already in effect by the time damage rolls over to aggravated along with the dying without medical attention that is going on.

Basically, "pure" aggravated damage is something you only see in movies. As it never happens it is not possible to know what affect it would have on mobility.

yeah, i guess any natural source would do it from rollover.

Comment

Unless you are a supernatural creature suffering from a Bane, in which case the wounds are actually very much like normal lethal damage only resistant to healing.
                  ​This brings to mind all of those old arguments about the man who fell to Earth.

Comment

If the Bane does aggravated damage then it should appear like aggravated damage from a supernatural attack. Bane damage is certainly supernatural. I don't believe there is a need to get hung up on appearances, so it is fine to say Bane damage always looks like lethal damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Diggs View Post
                      Hopefully.

You can, unfortunately, do a google image search and find a lot of stuff that would count as Aggravated damage.

There are exceptions, but for me it's easy to imagine the difference between Lethal and Aggravated as what you might see in an action movie versus what you might see in a horror movie. The primary exception being, obviously, the fatal shots in action movies. But for instance in Die Hard With a Vengeance, McClane slides down this metal rope thing and has this wicked wound down his arm he pulls a splinter out of, it's big and bloody but it doesn't seem to be affecting him much and he's not going to die from it outside of later infection, while at the end of Hostel there's a tortured woman running around with her eyeball hanging out of its socket, as a result of the torture and she's clearly never going to be able to heal that.
                      Last edited by nofather; 03-27-2017, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

Hopefully.

You can, unfortunately, do a google image search and find a lot of stuff that would count as Aggravated damage.

There are exceptions, but for me it's easy to imagine the difference between Lethal and Aggravated as what you might see in an action movie versus what you might see in a horror movie. The primary exception being, obviously, the fatal shots in action movies. But for instance in Die Hard With a Vengeance, McClane slides down this metal rope thing and has this wicked wound down his arm he pulls a splinter out of, while at the end of Hostel there's a tortured woman running around with her eyeball hanging out of its socket, as a result of the torture.

Which is which? and wouldn't the second case not heal fully ever, and not heal at all unless it's quickly and carefully placed back in the socket by a medical professional?

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
                          Which is which? and wouldn't the second case not heal fully ever, and not heal at all unless it's quickly and carefully placed back in the socket by a medical professional?
                          I elaborated in case it wasn't clear, though Die Hard is an action movie, Hostel is a horror movie. But the superficial gash is Lethal. the eye is Aggravated. There was more to the eye, I think he was doing something to the socket when she was rescued.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I elaborated in case it wasn't clear, though Die Hard is an action movie, Hostel is a horror movie. But the superficial gash is Lethal. the eye is Aggravated. There was more to the eye, I think he was doing something to the socket when she was rescued.

saying he was doing "something" to the socket made it even worse than if you'd described what he did

Comment

Silver wounds on a werewolf have been described as someone placing a red-hot metal into the open wound, the result is that it cauterizes and makes healing the gaping thing harder. Think light-saber cuts or blaster shots. What does it looks like when a werewolf ingests your flesh? You'll miss a few fingers but the metaphysical implication is that a piece of your spirit got into the monster's gullet, too.

On a mortal it could easily be simply crippling wounds. It's not just a missing leg, it could be a leg broken in 5+ places. It would mean a complete femur and/or hip replacement.

Of course, if the source of harm is something like a mage's decaying spell, think of the necrotic qualities of it just eating away the flesh of it's target in a gruesome biological fashion.

Comment

Working...
                              X