Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a specifically dark Era

Hey there,

After a long time of not really being playing WoD/CoD (yet sometimes still buying stuff), I am looking to start a new group with my siblings and our partners.
    I've backed the Dark Eras KS, and am interested in using one of the excellent settings within, but I have rather preculiar specifications, probably won't be able to read all of the books and would be glad to hear recommendations.

1. The chronicle would be quite sporadic. We'll meet about every 2-3 weeks, with 3-6 people present each time. That make me think I'll probably forsake the thoughts of playing such pack based game as the Forsaken (although I've really liked the Forsaken by Rome setting).
    2. I am looking to something that has an alibi to play in both Past and Present, with an option to play in multiple Pasts as well. I don't care if it would be ancestor memory, just regular memory, time travel, reincarnation or what have you. But I want myself be able to lean strongly on it and base huge parts of the narrative on the contrasts.
    3. I look to spending as little time with moding system as possible. Which mean I am looking to stuff that either was already upgraded to the second edition, or is currently in a state that is really, really close to it.
    4. I look at buying as little new stuff as possible. Fortunately, I have a rather lot of stuff (Every corebook of the first edition including some sourcebooks, the God Machine Chronicle [but not the CoD rulebook, would I need to get that?], the new VtR and WtF, and the new games of MtC, DtF and BtP)
    5. I am not ruling out anything, but my personal affinity to splats goes something like this - First degree of connection: Werewolf, Hunter, Demon. Second degree of connection: Mage, Changeling. Third degree: Vampire, Promethean. Don't understand what are they about (although may be persuaded): Geist, Mummy, Beast.

Thanks in advance

Mummy is a game where the player characters don't have to always be around each other and is specifically built to faciliate flashbacks between past and present. It's nice in that your characters can utilize several settings (Dark Eras and the three Sothic Turns in Sothis Ascends) should you desire.

Now, the game is dense, and is tragically 1e, but it ticks every box you want.

Just call me Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

I like Werewolf. Forsaken by Rome is great, and the Neolithic doesn't have a lot of necessary added rules to mod, since most everything's going to be stone implements or tooth and claw.

The numbers shouldn't be a problem, obviously a pack can exist with 3-6 people and players can take turns playing wolf-blooded in the 'future' or other time periods, if you wanted to cut back on rules.

They both have some strong links to the present, as well. Forsaken by Rome has the Aquila, which could 'bring them back' similar to the brick fetish did in the Sumerian period back in the Forsaken Chronicler's Guide. The Neolithic period has straight up Pangaeans, and you could have the characters in modern times, or other periods, somehow connecting to the heartstone of a Pangaean that ends up dragging them or their minds across time.

I could see Hunter doing it too, possibly tying into some artifact of the Aegis Kai Doru that brings the cell in some way back to colonial times.
      Last edited by nofather; 03-29-2017, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
        Mummy is a game where the player characters don't have to always be around each other and is specifically built to faciliate flashbacks between past and present. It's nice in that your characters can utilize several settings (Dark Eras and the three Sothic Turns in Sothis Ascends) should you desire.

Now, the game is dense, and is tragically 1e, but it ticks every box you want.
        Originally posted by nofather View Post
        Forsaken by Rome has the Aquila, which could 'bring them back' similar to the brick fetish did in the Sumerian period back in the Forsaken Chronicler's Guide. The Neolithic period has straight up Pangaeans, and you could have the characters in modern times, or other periods, somehow connecting to the heartstone of a Pangaean that ends up dragging them or their minds across time.

I could see Hunter doing it too, possibly tying into some artifact of the Aegis Kai Doru that brings the cell in some way back to colonial times.
        In what way would the Aqilae bring them back? And what for, anyway?

Comment

I'm now just starting doing exactly what nofather is saying in my own Forsaken chronicle - it's even based on the same idea Summerian chronicle in Forsaken Chronicler's Guide - it's just be based on Wolf and Raven Dark Era, i.e. Viking period. I will run two related Packs across centuries, one in modern Swedish Uppsala, and one in circa 800 Uppsala. If you are interested in to some details over period or setting, I encourage to read this Scandinavian Werewolf topic.

I plan to run this game as semi-Open Table model - that means that we try to play in constant players rooster, but if someone cannot be or someone want's to join on this sessions Sacred Hunt, they just takes Wolf-Blooded - see topic about Open Table. From my POV there is no problem with running even standard Werewolf game - in 2E Werewolf Packs are organisation with enough supporting cast ( Wolf-Blooded and humans ) that most players groups will not have other problems repopulating with 'guest players'.

The only real problem is deciding on what concept is based modern days Pack - I started topic about Packs Concepts to ease my own players on this.

And here are some of my comments to nofather's idea, taking in account my own chronicle.

I like Werewolf. Forsaken by Rome is great, and the Neolithic doesn't have a lot of necessary added rules to mod, since most everything's going to be stone implements or tooth and claw.
          ... so Wolf and Raven works great for Werewolf, and easy to work.

The numbers shouldn't be a problem, obviously a pack can exist with 3-6 people and players can take turns playing wolf-blooded in the 'future' or other time periods, if you wanted to cut back on rules.
          See above comments on 'changing players' also.

They both have some strong links to the present, as well. Forsaken by Rome has the Aquila, which could 'bring them back' similar to the brick fetish did in the Sumerian period back in the Forsaken Chronicler's Guide. The Neolithic period has straight up Pangaeans, and you could have the characters in modern times, or other periods, somehow connecting to the heartstone of a Pangaean that ends up dragging them or their minds across time.
          I think you can simply miss Fetish even - modern characters are just 'dreaming' about their ancestors, millenia earlier. Important is to mark the same general Prey in both Eras for this.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
          My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
          MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Comment

Originally posted by Magogue View Post
            In what way would the Aqilae bring them back? And what for, anyway?
            The Chronicler's Guide book had a section where the players would find a brick that was part of a fetish and it would send their dreams back in time to show them the werewolves of Bau, who they would play and the game would show them what things were like back then.

The Aquilae brought Essence back to ancient Rome. You could just say that, after centuries of disuse or waiting for Essence, activating the Aquila brought their entire soul back to serve Rome. Or you could just go with Bau's dreaming thing where the spirit inside is using its energy to tell them its story through their dreams. It's storyteller caveat, they exist as links to the past and you can whip up any explanation you want.

Yeah there's Wolf and the Raven, too. That's a good one but might require some more modding than you wanted.

Comment

Yeah there's Wolf and the Raven, too. That's a good one but might require some more modding than you wanted.
              How does? In Wolf and Raven there are no real setting changes. Only Merit or two are added and one Gift of Technology is change for something more suitable.
              Last edited by wyrdhamster; 03-29-2017, 11:20 AM.

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
                How does? In Wolf and Raven there are no real setting changes. Only Merit or two are added and one Gift of Technology is change for something more suitable.
                It's heavily oriented around raiding via ship and exploring different lands which have different technologies.

Comment

Ships and sailing we covered in this topic. Different technologies - Don't Dark Eras corebook comes with 'old tech' weapons in it's various eras? Like To The Strongest have Iron Age weapons in it.

Comment

Working...
                  X