Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spying on an angel

Hello,

my human group wants to spy on a person, who is actually an angel.

1) Is there a why that they find out that something is off? (I think that would make the story more interesting..)

2. a) If an angel gets hurt, how similar do they look to humans? For example does they mortal mask include things like bleeding? They only thing I know so far is, that they don't have internal organs. (CofD, page 129) So, what is there instead? What if someone cuts them really deeply or they loose a limb in an accident or whatever? How far are they similar to humans, and is there a point when someone can tell, that they are not what they seem to be?

b) How is this different from a demonic cover? I read they can steal they body (mortal mask?) of an angel (angel-jacking)!?

3. a) How does it look like, when an angel dies?
    Ephemeral entities that lose all Corpus from lethal or aggravated wounds explode into a burst of ephemera, stylized to their nature.
    What's their nature? The God-Machine? Would it explode into tiny machinery parts?

b) How about demons?

The questions about angels are more important for my current group right now, but I am curious how they are different from demons as a contrast.

1. Angels may appear "off" in their behavior. On mission the GM feeds them a good amount of Intel, but things that aren't directly relevant might generate some unexpected or abnormal behavior. There is also the influence Ban or Band and the mission itself might have.
    2. An Angel in Cover (which is what it sounds like), is indistinguishable from what their Cover is (human, in this case). They bleed, have organs, etc. It is Exactly like a Demon's Cover, except better maintained.
    3. Depends on if they are in Cover or not. In Cover, like anyone else. Out of Cover, like you want for an Ephemeral. They are prone to discorporation before that point, though.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
    Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Depending on the angel's task there could be several or 1 way to figure something is amiss. Is the angel a Destroyer sent down to literally obliterate a target? witnessing that should suffice. Is it a Guardian that has supernatural control over a dwelling and can harass someone like a Poltergeist could? is it a Messenger visiting people in their dreams beginning his messages with "Be not afraid"? Is it a Psychopomp literally reaping the souls of anything that dies somewhere?

Regarding physical differences with humans, a mortal mask could be hollow inside aside from the luminous being within, other tasks are better served by an angel possessing a host, which means they're the drivers behind someone else's will in a direct fashion.

Others merely Materialize as pillars of holy flame.

the soul reaper may crumble to dust, the pillar of flame could explode going nova, the Guardian embodyng a home could cause it to implode inwards, etc.

What it looks like when a demon dies? while in cover you can likely picture it. While in demonic form? be dramatic.

Comment

This thread could help you on angelic Covers.

1) Is there a why that they find out that something is off? (I think that would make the story more interesting..)
        The ban, the bane, and the Mission. The ban basically makes angels suffer OCD with regards to it, the bane can legitimately give them phobias, and the Mission makes them inhumanly obsessive and monomaniac towards it.

You can also spot discrepancies rising from how the angel spontaneously placed itself into society. Like tracking its bank accounts and taxes and such to find that it apparently had no financial existence until yesterday. But this is usually shrouded via Concealment Infrastructure, so mortals would have a tough time seeing through it.

2. a) If an angel gets hurt, how similar do they look to humans? For example does they mortal mask include things like bleeding? They only thing I know so far is, that they don't have internal organs. (CofD, page 129) So, what is there instead? What if someone cuts them really deeply or they loose a limb in an accident or whatever? How far are they similar to humans, and is there a point when someone can tell, that they are not what they seem to be?
        They bruise, they bleed, and their organs and bones say high if you tear them apart bad enough. But it's all just an elaborate model made of ephemera, so an angel that looks seriously wounded may not be that much harmed in reality.

But then again, aggravated damage from the angel's bane tend to sport a spectacular display of harm. Flesh melting off, turning to salt, crumbling to dust, breaking apart like pixels and such.

b) How is this different from a demonic cover? I read they can steal they body (mortal mask?) of an angel (angel-jacking)!?
        Demonic Cover works just as well as angelic ones. The difference is that the Cover is their real body, just as real as their Demonic Form. So a demon bleeding to death in human form really is bleeding to death.

Angel-jacking works by banishing an angel just a milisecond before the Infrastructure that conjured it wraps it up with a Cover. It's fricking hard, but it gives you a high-grade Cover and satisfaction of giving the middle finger to the God-Machine. The downside is that the God-Machine has its full attention on its new 'angel' and expects it to complete its Mission, thus it will notice any deviations from it. Anyways, once stolen the Cover works just like any other demonic Cover.

And whether it's angelic or demonic, a Cover is not the same thing as the Mortal Mask Numen.

3. a) How does it look like, when an angel dies?
        Ephemeral entities that lose all Corpus from lethal or aggravated wounds explode into a burst of ephemera, stylized to their nature.

What's their nature? The God-Machine? Would it explode into tiny machinery parts?
        The 'nature' depends on the individual angel, I guess. Remember, angels aren't (usually) clones. They have different parameters and specifications. Becomes a pillar of salt? Crashes down like a heap of scrap metal? Explodes in a blast of light? Fades away into static and noise? Pick anything appropriate.

b) How about demons?
        A demon in human form dies like a human would. One in Demonic Form would probably follow the angels' pattern.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

Working...
        X