Hunter the Vigil supplement for Princesses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Darinas View Post

XD yeah pretty much. I personally wonder if they weren't created just to adress this criticism.

oooooh, they undoubtedly were

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Yeah... about that

More seriously, Dave's opening to the Yuri's group thread strongly implies that it was a case of multiple people having the idea so I don't think I can claim credit. I can say I did suggest it specifically on the grounds that those criticisms had a point and it should be addressed. Same story behind Ride to Damascus (who I consider to be my best Hunter work. Fun fact: They were actually a spin off from a conversation I had with PenDragon about Princess/Beast)
      Last edited by The Kings Raven; 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM.

“There are no rules. Only Principles and natural laws.” - Promethius
      My Homebrew no longer fits in a signature, you can find an index of it here.
      Full length fan-books I contributed too: Princess: the Hopeful, Leviathan: the Tempest, Dream Catchers

Comment

• Well, then they did a good job, because Yuri's Group are portrayed as sympathetic rather than Strawmen. Personally, they are among my favourite Compacts.

Anyway, back on topic, I got this idea for a Tactic, but I have trouble deciding some of the dicepools. Mind helping again, please?
        Divide to Reign

Prerequisite: (all participant) Resolve 2, (secondary actors) Stamina 2, Athletic 3, (primary actor) Resolve 3
        Requires: 3; each participant above 3 grants a +1 bonus to the primary actor’s dice pool
        Primary Dice pool:
        Secondary Dice pools: Stamina + Athletic
        Description: Hunters who survived enough confrontations with intelligent Spawns capable of controlling Lurkers have come to realize their control over their repulsive servants tend to wear out after a while away from them. This Tactic was invented to take advantage of this weakness. Using part of their members as willing baits, the Cell tries its best to lure the creatures as far away as possible from their masters, then resort to traps and ambush to make sure he won’t be able to approach them until the effect of his power ceases.This is risky, as a Spawn powerful enough to posses such an ability rarely is harmless, but when used well, this can break an organized force of Spawns into small groups of mindless monsters much easier to dispose of.
        This Tactic is meant to be used against Spawns with the Monster Lord Dread Power, and works in two phases; during the first one, the hunters split up, with the secondary actors doing their best to attract the Lurkers’ attention and bring them out of range of their master’s power. This part is particularly risky, as they take the risk of having the monsters catch up with them; any secondary actor who fail his roll ends up having to fight the targeted Lurkers. Fortunately, a larger number of hunters can lessen this problem: the number of Lurkers he has to fight is divided by the number of secondary actors taking part in this Tactic.
        For the second phase, the primary actor confronts the Lurkers’ master if he shows up, and does everything he can to prevent him from getting to his minions, hopefully with help from any secondary actor who could make it back. Each success on the primary actor means the Spawn is hold back for one hour; if he’s hold back long enough for Monster Lord to wear off, he loses his control over his Lurkers.
        This Tactic is equally effective against any creature using some form of mind control or compelling effect to keep a hold over its minions, as long as you can keep them away the needed time, such as vampire thralls, or people under the effect of a mad scientist’s mind control device. If the mind manipulating power’s effect is based on range rather than duration, replace the hours gained for each success by yards.
        Organizations:

Comment

• Well, I guess no one has any suggestion for that one.

Anyway, currently trying to build the profile for Ben Vold (that Sample Cataphractoi Leliel suggested). But I am running into a small problem... how much do Dread Powers cost to buy with experience/creation point, please?

Comment

Well, I guess no one has any suggestion for that one.

Anyway, currently trying to build the profile for Ben Vold (that Sample Cataphractoi Leliel suggested). But I am running into a small problem... how much do Dread Powers cost to buy with experience/creation point, please?
            It usually doesn't list, since they are (mostly) Antagonist material. You give the critter what fits and don't worry about XP costs.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
            Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Mortal Remains suggests (p. 164) a cost of two Experiences for each dot of Dread Powers. That's for the 2ed experience system, of course. If you're using 1ed, that's the same price as a Skill dot.

Comment

• Thank you. If you have any advice regarding the kind of abilities this guy should have, I am all ears.

So far, I am thinking Dead Flesh (to go with the whole Draugr thing) and Strange Form (though Biomechanical Nightmare might work as well if we go with the idea he merges with his boat).
                Last edited by Darinas; 04-22-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Well, the big thing mentioned in Vold's description is how he seeks out hunters and dishonors them, then locks them into his tugboat's bilge so they'll drown and turn into Darkspawn. A quick scan suggests Damnation and Judgement of Guilt from the HtV core as useful for that purpose. Eye for Desire from Mortal Remains is just as good for a hanging judge as a tempter.

Merging with his boat ... actually, I'd run with Lord of the Manor in Mortal Remains for that. And since Vold is a sailor, using Tempest to surround his boat with violent weather and wreck other boats would be in theme.

Strange Form is a requirement for any Cataphract, and Vold's water-creature motif justifies Tendrils when he transforms.

Comment

• Sounds good. Thank you.

Here's what I got so far. Any opinion? Did I make him overpowered?
                    Vice: Envy- as noted above, Ben Vold hates hunters because they remind him of what he lost.
                    Virtue: Dutiful- Vold was a responsible man in his life, even though his ideas of serving the Aesir is little more than delusion, he still takes this task seriously.
                    Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 3
                    Physical Attributes: Strength 2(5), Dexterity 3 (4), Stamina 2(6)
                    Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 1
                    Mental Skills: Academics 2, Computer 2, Investigation 3, Occult 2, Politics 2
                    Physical Skills: Athletic 2, Brawl 3, Drive 3 (the Ran), Firearms 2, Survival 2 (Sea)
                    Social Skills: Empathy 4, Intimidation 4, Persuasion 2 (Break Spirit), Subterfuge 2
                    Merits: Small Unit Tactics, Good Time Management, Fast Reflexes 2, Safe Place 3 (the Ran)
                    Health: 7(11)
                    Dread Powers (both forms): Contagion 2, Damnation 3 Dead Flesh 3, Dread Attack 2, Eye for Desire 2, Judgment of Guilt 5, Monster Lord 4, Sense Integrity 1, Strange Form 4, Tempest 3
                    Dread Powers (Strange Form only): Tendrils 3 (Tentacles), Lord of the Manor 5 (Permanent, the Ran)
                    Potency/Shadows: 5
                    Aspirations: Recruit more people in his crew, break hunters,
                    Willpower: 4
                    Size: 5
                    Speed: 10 (14)
                    Defense: 5 (6)
                    Initiative: 4 (5)

Also, I would appreciate if someone could give me a reference to base the Ran's profile on. I do have the Armory book, but I am not sure which sample boat I should pick.

Last edited by Darinas; 04-22-2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Also, I would appreciate if someone could give me a reference to base the Ran's profile on. I do have the Armory book, but I am not sure which sample boat I should pick.
                      I'd take the houseboat listed on Armory p.146, cut the safe and max speed in half and add 3 points to durability, since tugboats are slow and somewhat tough even without the use of magic.

Comment

• Okay, here's the current version:

Vice: Envy- as noted above, Ben Vold hates hunters because they remind him of what he lost.
                        Virtue: Dutiful- Vold was a responsible man in his life, even though his ideas of serving the Aesir is little more than delusion, he still takes this task seriously.
                        Mental Attributes: Intelligence 3, Wits 4, Resolve 3
                        Physical Attributes: Strength 2(5), Dexterity 3 (4), Stamina 2(6)
                        Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 3, Composure 1
                        Mental Skills: Academics 2, Computer 2, Investigation 3, Occult 2, Politics 2
                        Physical Skills: Athletic 2, Brawl 3, Drive 3 (the Ran), Firearms 2, Survival 2 (Sea)
                        Social Skills: Empathy 4, Intimidation 4, Persuasion 2 (Break Spirit), Subterfuge 2
                        Merits: Small Unit Tactics, Good Time Management, Fast Reflexes 2, Safe Place 3 (the Ran)
                        Health: 7(11)
                        Dread Powers (both forms): Contagion 2, Damnation 3 Dead Flesh 3, Dread Attack 2, Eye for Desire 2, Judgment of Guilt 5, Monster Lord 4, Sense Integrity 1, Strange Form 4, Tempest 3
                        Dread Powers (Strange Form only): Tendrils 3 (Tentacles), Lord of the Manor 5 (Permanent, the Ran)
                        Potency/Shadows: 5
                        Aspirations: Recruit more people in his crew, break hunters, defend his boat
                        Willpower: 4
                        Size: 5
                        Speed: 10 (14)
                        Defense: 5 (6)
                        Initiative: 4 (5)
                        Notes:
                        • The Ran is a modified Houseboat (Armory p. 146), with the following modification: Safe Speed and Max Speed cut by half, +3 Durability. For those lacking the book, here’s the resulting profile:
                          Durability 6, Size 23, Structure 29, Acceleration 2, Safe Speed 12, Max Speed 22, Handling -1, Occupant 1+7.
                          On the inside, it counts as a Nest of Size 3 with a Corruption level of 10, with the following Curses: Corruption, Dominance (+3), Resistance (-2), Speed (-2), Willpower (-1), Defense (-1). The Foci is an old lighter in the boiler room, which Vold used to commit his murder-suicide.
                        • Vold is rarely seen without his crew, which mostly consists in Lurkers, with possibly a few Infiltrators as his most faithful lieutenants. The Storyteller should build them himself, ideally with at least Dead Flesh and Dread Attack, but they can have any other Dread Power. While in Strange Form, Vold can sacrifice any member of his crew to recover from wounds, healing lethal damages equal to the sacrificed crew member’s health boxes. This takes 1 Instant action per crew member.
                        • While in Strange Form, Ben Vold merges with the Ran, becoming a monstrous fusion between a boat and a kraken. In term of game, this means he cannot be killed nor knocked out while in this state unless the boat itself is destroyed; the players can still attack him and inflict him damages, but should they feel his last health box with lethal or Aggravated damages, he will merely use Lord of the Mansion to retreat his “main” body (actually the organic part of him) to a different area of the ship, where he can heal himself by sacrificing crew members. He cannot, however, return to harass the players until his health boxes have been fully healed, giving them some delay to act. If out of crew member, his wounds will heal naturally at the same rate than a human. Should the Ran be destroyed or purified, he would die.
                        Last edited by Darinas; 04-23-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

• So, let me see if I understand this. When Vold fuses with his ship, he turns into a Size 5 humanoid with his legs/lower tentacles connected to his ship (or something like that). He can move around normally, and automatically teleports to a location not occupied by players upon "death". The requirement of the Ran being destroyed to truly defeat him if he transforms sets up something of an equipment gate for players. That said, I can see a Storyteller urging their players to initiate a tactical retreat after a successful fight, leading to a more conclusive round two later.

A few questions: how many mooks can be expected to participate in any given encounter? Would they be on deck with Vold, or below deck until called? About how large of a crew can players expect to run into?

I also have one nitpick: because this runs on Hunter rules, Vold uses Willpower to perform Dread Powers, and lacks a Shadows stat. Now, I can't claim to know how Hunter stats work, but from what I can gather, this guy seems to have a lot of abilities and not much Willpower to use them. I don't know if this is a normal statline or not, so I yield to the opinions of those more experienced than I.
                          Last edited by RougeMephilesClone; 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, that's more or less it. I admit it's probably not the best mechanics, but I figured that if he actually became one with the ship as in the ship became fully his body, the players would have absolutely no chance defeating it. So I thought giving the players a mean to temporarly stop his attacks would balance it somewhat.

I... am not sure for his crewmen's number. As for where they would be, I imagine they would walk around the ship with some below deck and others on deck depending on the situation.

Well, in the rules I wrote to use Darkspawns in a Hunter campaign, Shadow became the equivalent of Potency instead of what it is in Princess. But yeah, you're right about his Willpower; I'll fix that right away.

Done. I also raised his Potency slightly, so he actually has 10 Willpower.
                            Last edited by Darinas; 04-23-2017, 05:43 PM.

Comment

• Does Hunter usually use the source monster's power stat? I thought they just converted it to Potency

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

• Well, Mortal Remains does call them all Potency but also has a section where it gives them individual names and effect, so... yeah, I don't know for sure. And Tooth and Nail calls it Lair for Beast.

Comment

Working...
                                X