Terrorism in CofD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorism in CofD

Warning, probably controversial topic - reading on your own resposibility. I'm slowly prepering Werewolf game in Uppsala, about one hour of ride from Stokholm. I just listened in news there was yesterday probably ISIS attack in Sweden capitol. If we run chronicle like tomorrow, there should be real victims of those tragedies in setting - it really easy to have lost family member or friend in those attack.

As I'm running in modern times, I wonder if I should point to real world terror in stories and backgrounds? Or just pretend to not have this kind events?

For years now I think about running Geist game centered on Sin-Eaters that should die in 9/11 - but survived because of their Bargain.
    Last edited by wyrdhamster; 04-08-2017, 01:39 PM.

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
    WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

In my first game ever, the Player Characters (a mage cabal in DC) murdered the vampire prince, who was also a member of the House of Representatives (I'm oversimplifying parts of this). They then called CNN and blamed it on al-Qaeda.

Of course, they brought that all into the game themselves. Can I encourage you to debrief with your players before the game and speak to them about this?

Also, keep in mind that there are terrorist attacks in Sweden all of the time that are not classified as such--the literal fascist party will shoot cars where refugees are sleeping, and it might behoove you to consider why you're only treating the most recent thing as a terrorist attack. Not that it ISN'T one, but I'm just saying there have been plenty of others, even since I moved away. If you're considering the impact of yesterday, you should also consider the impact and context of a country where the literal fascist party is the third largest in Parliament.

Hayley Margules, historian and former OPP writer
    Chronicles of Darkness: Dark Eras and Companion, Beast: The Primordial Ready-Made Characters, and Dark Ages: Tome of Secrets

Comment

I don't think it's a good idea in this case. I mean, your plot presumbly doesn't relate to the attack so what does it bring to the table?

That said the 9/11 Geist sounds actually pretty interesting, or at least evocative.

Comment

I mean...it seems like a simple answer to me Hamster, Ask your players. If they feel comfortable with it - I'd go through with it; adds to more realism. If they don't - then don't :P. As long as everyone is comfortable - I see no reason why not too. I think like Michael above said - 9/11 Geist seems cool. It's all a matter of players when it comes to stuff like this; everyone has a different line that they wouldn't like crossed. I've played/run games where child violence is off the table, I've been in played/run games where it isnt.

Regardless :P - Terrorism is a real part of the world; and if RP'd out properly it can create fantastic storylines. If your players feel comfortable with this kind of story; I see no reason why not.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          As I'm running in modern times, I wonder if I should point to real world terror in stories and backgrounds? Or just pretend to not have this kind events?
          Similar to other real world events, just make sure no players are going to be offended or disturbed by its use. It would be silly to take out every horrible thing that happened in the real world. You wouldn't have countries.

Comment

I'm really just going to echo the same thing everybody else said - ask your players, 9/11 Sin-Eaters seems cool.

But 9/11 Sin-Eaters sounds especially cool when one considers really aaaaallllll of the nitty gritty aspects of that game. It isn't even just 'we should have died in the terrorist attack that ended the 90s in the US and ushered in a whole new world of geopolitical tension' that is a thing on its own, you also have to consider survivor's guilt, plus the fucking ghosts of all the other people who really did die begging you to help them, constantly, and theeeen there's the whole - how do you feel about this tragedy that you should have died in, and people you knew, being used as martyrs and propaganda to go to war over something completely unrelated?

It's really a perfect setting to explore the making of the modern American mindset. If it wasn't so incredibly sensitive (like as much as I'm gushing about it, I don't think I'd have the balls to run it, as an American with friends and relatives in New York City on the Day It Happened, living in Philadelphia at the time) I'd say it'd make a genius Dark Era.

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
              Warning, probably controversial topic - reading on your own resposibility. I'm slowly prepering Werewolf game in Uppsala, about one hour of ride from Stokholm. I just listened in news there was yesterday probably ISIS attack in Sweden capitol. If we run chronicle like tomorrow, there should be real victims of those tragedies in setting - it really easy to have lost family member or friend in those attack.

For years now I think about running Geist game centered on Sin-Eaters that should die in 9/11 - but survived because of their Bargain.

Terrorists attack happen. You can have them effect your players in the game world. Such as an NPC dying in one or losing someone close to them. Maybe it causes that NPC to become paranoid about if an attack might happen to them. Some might be driven to join the military. In my setting Terrorists Bombed the Royal London Hospital killing roughly 900+. This changed the spirit landscape in london. NPC's in america got scared and police tightened security all over. Imagine all the dead Giests have to deal with now. Think of all the ripple effect that come with an attack.

Comment

Working...
              X