Are my books still good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are my books still good?

I have some old nWoD books sitting on my bookshelf. The copyright on my Changeling the Lost book is 2007 (Second Printing). I may run a CoD game this autumn with new to rpg players and some of them will want to buy their own books.

Are my old books nWoD the same as the new CoD books? Are there any rule changes or is the title the only change?

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

We've been releasing second edition versions of the rulebooks. So far we've released:
    • The Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook (nWoD 2e)
    • Vampire: The Requiem 2nd Edition
    • Werewolf: The Forsaken 2nd Edition
    • Mage: The Awakening 2nd Edition
    • Promethean: The Created 2nd Edition
    • Demon: The Descent
    • Beast: The Primordial
    Not yet released, but in the works:
    • Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition
    • Hunter: The Vigil 2nd Edition
    • Geist: The Sin-Eaters 2nd Edition
    So for the moment your Changeling books are the most recent, but 2nd Edition versions are coming soon.

Ian A. A. Watson
    Onyx Path Community Manager
    Trinity Continuum Lead Developer

Comment

Thanks!

I guess if I do run CoD, I'll need to buy the new book. My interest in Demon the Descent has been peak by a recent Exalted thread, so I may offer that up to my players instead of Changeling.
      Last edited by wonderandawe; 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

Well, I mean, your first edition books don't spoil, and first edition was still pretty solid overall. Many of the first edition books are still sold in the same PoD storefront as the CofD 2e books, so you could run a first edition game and your players could still pick up their own copies.

Demon is an excellent game. The Demon corebook contains an appendix which runs down all the updated second edition rules, so if you don't mind cross-referencing that and the 1e rulebook, you're fine with that one book.

As a quirk of design, every second edition core rulebook except Demon contains an only slightly abbreviated version of the core second edition system, which doesn't require any cross-referencing or other book. So unlike first edition, the second edition Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook isn't actually necessary to pair with the various second edition monster cores. It does, however, contain some expanded systems, like additional Merits, an investigation system, and a system to build miscellaneous supernatural Horrors as antagonists, as well as storytelling frameworks for running mortal games.
        Last edited by Stupid Loserman; 04-11-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stupid Loserman View Post
          As a quirk of design, every second edition core rulebook except Demon contains an only slightly abbreviated version of the core second edition system, which doesn't require any cross-referencing or other book. So unlike first edition, the second edition Chronicles of Darkness Rulebook isn't actually necessary to pair with the various second edition monster cores. It does, however, contain some expanded systems, like additional Merits, an investigation system, and a system to build miscellaneous supernatural Horrors as antagonists, as well as storytelling frameworks for running mortal games.
          Yeah, I prefer to think of the 2e core book as more of a gameline-neutral supplement book with a slight emphasis on mortal characters.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
          My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Originally posted by wonderandawe View Post
            Are there any rule changes or is the title the only change?
            To answer this directly:

There have been some significant rules changes in all of the CofD 2e books that had 1e analogs. It's not impossible to transfer a character from one to the other, though how much work it would entail depends on which game (VtR still uses the same1-5 rated Disciplines in 2e, even if the individual levels are different, while WtF has a completely new setup for Gifts from 1e that makes directly transferring a character difficult), and things like XP levels (though not an issue if you're starting a new game).

The core dice mechanics are the same, though the implementation is different.

There's also been some thematic/focus changes in a lot of the games. CtL 2e, for example, is including a build-your-own Court system. This is awesome on its own, but it also allows the game to give Courts more meaning in exactly how they protect changelings from the Gentry, and what loopholes in the Courts can be used in return.

Comment

While the Second Edition material is rolling out now, 1e material should be compatible enough, and what isn't should convert semi-readily into 2e. And while there are some new sub-systems, they're fairly straightforward (though we do occasionally see questions about one of them...), and can easily be excised if you don't care for them with little impact on the rest of play.

Oh, right, good thing to note: if you want to see some of the mechanical changes to the core system before you spend money, there's a free official 1e-to-2e patch here. It lacks the Horror rules and some other 2e Core stuff, but it should give you a good idea of what you're looking at. And since you mentioned Changeling, we've been getting Open Development blog posts for its upcoming 2e update semi-regularly if you want to take a peek. There's enough there that between them, the GMC patch, and the CtL 1e core, you could easily run a "Changeling 1.5e" game.

As for Demon: the Descent? Definitely recommended. Its default surface trappings of "sufficiently advanced technology" and "biomechanical reality warpers" can throw some for a loop at first, but the game makes for solid high-power stories with a spy thriller or rebellion bent, and many underlying mechanics feel intensely evocative of classic demonic entities - pacts, flawless lying, unnatural grasp of language, horrific "true" forms, and so on.
              Last edited by Sconce; 04-11-2017, 11:48 PM.

Have a bit of a bad habit of extensively editing posts after, well, posting them. Bear with me...

Comment

Working...
              X