Princess: the Hopeful

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess: the Hopeful

I just read the rules for Princess: the Hopeful, and I was very impressed. The one thing I was concerned about was the tone. Princess is much brighter than the other Chronicles of Darkness games. On the other hand, I could definitely see a Princess acting as a foil in a darker game such as Vampire: the Requiem. What do you guys think? Any thoughts on Princess, good or bad? Thanks.

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
    Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

I am a huge fan of both the Trinity Universe and the classic World of Darkness.

It's not as bright as you think. You're stuck in a world where the Darkness has essentially won. You will have to make hard choices that will weigh even harder on you due to Sensitivity. Your Queens have fallen in the past and can fall again, and there's always the dark side known as the Twilight Courts to fall to. Plus, you're not just fighting monsters, you're fighting human evil and social problems. No amount of magic powers is going to instantly solve entrenched social issues.

Plus, just generally, the Darkness is pretty disgustingly evil. Like, Strix-level evil. And they're the main enemies. So there's that.
    Last edited by Master Aquatosic; 04-14-2017, 10:00 AM.

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

It's one of those whose tone can vary a lot. Yes, it can be a very optimistic setting, but if you want darker it can easily be played as a game of desperation and misery, trying frantically to keep the last sparks of hope alight in a slowly-decaying world while fighting off a cosmic enemy that wants you to suffer until you become an abomination.

You could even play it from the point of view of the Twilight courts, and it becomes a tale of horrifying but necessary sacrifice, the all-consuming vengeance of those with nothing left and high-school disney channel superheroics! (well, two out of three...)

Otherwise, I really like it! I like having an unambiguously good force in the World Of Darkness (everyone being evil is both depressing and unrealistic) and princess does a really good of of doing that without it becoming silly, preachy or clashing wildly with the rest of the games.

Comment

Just recently read the PDF for the latest verson of Dream myself, and I can honestly say that it's not just a good game but also a solid game as well. That being said though, after all has been said and done I've found it's not really my cup of tea personally, unless I manage to have an ST who runs it like one of the many good magical girl subversion anime's that are out there right now. And a lot of that has to do with the game removing a lot of the morally grey areas that exist in all of the core CofD gamelines, particularly that of the often common Blue/Orange morality concept from a lot of the most otherworldly antagonists (Strix, Spirits, Qashmalim, True Fae, Ect.) I understand the reason why this was done from both a design and world building perspective, the ultimate antagonists of the world need to be the character's actions and consiquences themselves. The Darkness and it's spawn serve the same purpose that a zombie horde does in a post apocalyptic story, as more a force of nature that must be prepared for and weathered against while trying to protect as many people as possible...while antagonists use the force to their own selfish ends. While I think some more morally grey areas should exist, the game is still fantastic at what it's meant to do, and what's good about the game is reeeeaaaalllllly good to boot. I'd definitly recommend it if one's interested at exploring the fan game community's work.

Comment

What on earth are you all talking about? I was intrigued immediately and tried googling this. So this is a fan-game parody that blew up into a bigger phenomenon? Is it literally Chronicles of Darkness with magical girls getting disillusioned a la Madoka Magica? Please tell me this is correct, I made a changeling whose entire character concept is this.

Where is this pdf posted?

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet Witch View Post
            What on earth are you all talking about? I was intrigued immediately and tried googling this. So this is a fan-game parody that blew up into a bigger phenomenon? Is it literally Chronicles of Darkness with magical girls getting disillusioned a la Madoka Magica? Please tell me this is correct, I made a changeling whose entire character concept is this.

Where is this pdf posted?

More like the webnovel "Sailor Nothing" than "Madoka". They're still agents of the light with true sympathetic mentors, but it goes into what it's really like for idealistic and empathetic youngsters to fight both human and supernatural evil.

Comment

Source: https://sites.google.com/site/princessthehopeful/home

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
              Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post

More like the webnovel "Sailor Nothing" than "Madoka". They're still agents of the light with true sympathetic mentors, but it goes into what it's really like for idealistic and empathetic youngsters to fight both human and supernatural evil.

In other words - it is not all fun and games to be child soldiers and empaths.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

EDIT: Ninja'd be Vent0

Comment

Originally posted by Vent0 View Post

In other words - it is not all fun and games to be child soldiers and empaths.
                    Well, not all of them are children or even soldiers (like the Troubadors), but basically yeah.

Comment

I am so excited now! Thanks! Also because I've never heard of Sailor Nothing and wanna look it up now.

Comment

One thing I noticed, is it doesxnt have as much flexiblety to the mythology, as requiem or forsaken did, I got turned off forsaken BECAUSe of that flexiblety and people hitting me over the head over how much better it was then apocalpse... still...;

Comment

Working...
                        X