Leviathan: the Cult

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leviathan: the Cult

I know nothing about this game. What does it offer that is not already subsumed into the Makara splat in Beast? Just wondering.

Our society is held together by the thinnest of threads: that exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
    Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence

I am a huge fan of both the Trinity Universe and the classic World of Darkness.

Originally posted by Spellfire22 View Post
    I know nothing about this game. What does it offer that is not already subsumed into the Makara splat in Beast? Just wondering.
    Well, for starters, it approaches family in exactly the opposite direction to Beast.

Beast takes the view of family as a group of people with whom you voluntarily bond and associate. "You choose your family."

Leviathan goes the exact opposite direction, a family of blood with no choice in the matter, regardless of how shitty they are. "You don't choose your family."

Then there's the fact that it is objectively not fun to be a Leviathan, and a Leviathan who tries to use their supernatural state as a force for good is basically about as likely to succeed as a man looking for ice water in Hell. Beasts might be able to do some good, if they're so inclined, and can at least remain relatively harmless if they try. A Leviathan's mere presence hollows out the souls of those nearby, and turns anywhere you remain into Innsmouth 2.0.

There's an aesthetic similarity with the Makara, and Leviathan/Beast interactions are very fertile ground for all sorts of neat stories, but the two are really not the same. I encourage you to go read up on Leviathan, and maybe take a look at the Leviathan 2E project. It's got some real neat stuff.

Genius: the Transgression 2E is a thing that's being worked on.

Comment

Working...
    X