Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Beets do you typcialy make in a session?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Beets do you typcialy make in a session?

well after doing some of the math. i have kinda come to the conclusion that this game is intended to take years of dedicated play to achieve anything. this is related to how beets work and the fact that they were intended to make things take 5 times as long as you normally would in CWOD.

so my question is how many beets do you typcialy earn in a single say 5 hour session? \

A lot, but my home game has an unusually strong agricultural focus.

Dumb beet pun out of the way, my play experience has tended to need a few extra beats at the end of a session to even out, perhaps because I play in online games where the action is more zoomed in and decompressed. They definitely weren't "intended to make things take 5 times as long" as cWoD or 1e nWoD, though. It takes five beats to make up one experience, but that's just semantics to keep you working with small numbers: actual purchases tend to cost low numbers of experiences (remember, in the 2e nWoD/CofD system, raising from one dot to two costs exactly the same as raising from four dots to five), so if you consider a beat roughly analogous to 1xp from the older system, things average out in similar ballparks.

Comment

o thank god, as i got very very worried about that. you see i was under the assumption i needed to pay for the past dots. in short to raise it from anything from 2 to 3. it would require me to pay for the first and second dot as well. and thus i kept getting very very high and daunting numbers. hell one of them was in the thousands. so it felt like i was not going to achieve anything in a short period of time.

needless to say i am happy i was wrong.

Comment

3 to 6 per person for my group. Most of the time our characters are off lone wolfing (following personal aspirations)away from the a group.
        Last edited by K9ine; 04-17-2017, 12:57 PM.

Offense is rarely given, but often taken.

Comment

No clue to how many whole beets but I usually have like a quarter of a can for dinners... so prolly around .5 beets per session on average?

Frequent Story Teller for the Circle of Five gaming group.

Comment

Originally posted by rman88 View Post
            o thank god, as i got very very worried about that. you see i was under the assumption i needed to pay for the past dots. in short to raise it from anything from 2 to 3. it would require me to pay for the first and second dot as well. and thus i kept getting very very high and daunting numbers. hell one of them was in the thousands. so it felt like i was not going to achieve anything in a short period of time.

needless to say i am happy i was wrong.
            You still need to pay for 1st and 2nd dot if you want to even get something at 3 tho. The costs in 2e are different from 1e. For example each point of a stat costs 4 exp (or 20 beats), so 1 to 2 = 4 exp, 2->3 = 4 exp, 3->4 = 4 exp, 4->5 = 4 exp. So raising Strength from 1 to 5 will cost 16 exp or 80 beats.

Say 5-8 beats a session and thats 10+ sessions at say once a week for over 2 months of play to go from Str 1 to 5 isnt bad??

Comment

Originally posted by totalgit View Post
              Say 5-8 beats a session and thats 10+ sessions at say once a week for over 2 months of play to go from Str 1 to 5 isnt bad??
              I'd expect going from weakling to one of the strongest normal humans on Earth to take a long time without help from special methods you find in the back of comic books.

Powers are generally cheaper than that, Attributes and Power Traits tend to be the most expensive purchases. Because they involve a fundamental growth to the core of your character. Though many splats have had an additional way to grow their Power Trait.
              Last edited by nofather; 04-19-2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post

I'd expect going from weakling to one of the strongest normal humans on Earth to take a long time without help from special methods you find in the back of comic books.

Powers are generally cheaper than that, Attributes and Power Traits tend to be the most expensive purchases. Because they involve a fundamental growth to the core of your character. Though many splats have had an additional way to grow their Power Trait.
                Most games dont run in real time, 2 months playing 1 day a week might equate to years in game time right? I can count on one hand the number of weekly games ive ran/played that have lasted longer than 3 years, most wont last that long so skipping training time/having a training montage is what usually happens when folk increase stuff drastically?

Comment

Originally posted by totalgit View Post
                  You still need to pay for 1st and 2nd dot if you want to even get something at 3 tho. The costs in 2e are different from 1e. For example each point of a stat costs 4 exp (or 20 beats), so 1 to 2 = 4 exp, 2->3 = 4 exp, 3->4 = 4 exp, 4->5 = 4 exp. So raising Strength from 1 to 5 will cost 16 exp or 80 beats.

Of course, in 1e it cost 70 experience points to raise an Attribute from 1 to 5. That'd take about one session fewer to earn in the long run, maybe two. Still, pretty close. It actually averages out to 17.5 experience points per dot, pretty close to 2e's 20 Beats per dot. In fact, if you divide 17.5 by 5 you get 3.5. Round up since you can't pay half an Experirnce in 2e and Attribute dots are a major purchase, and you get 4 Experiences per dot.

That math works out with Skills, Merits, and in and out of Clan Vampire Disciplines as well. Find the average experience point cost per dot in 1e divide that by 5, round to the nearest whole number, and you get the Experience cost per dot in 2e. The rounding means some things will be a little faster to max out in 2e while others will be a little slower, but on average, one 2e Beat is roughly equivalent to one 1e experience point.

This also makes it easy to reverse-engineer 2e Experience costs to their 1e equivalents if you preferred that method.
                  Last edited by Charlaquin; 04-23-2017, 04:29 PM.

Onyx Path Forum Moderator
                  My mod voice is red. I use it so you know when I'm speaking in an official capacity, not as an indication of tone.

Gowing by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Well in my group so far they earn 2 to 9 beats per session.

At first they earned 2 beats at most because they constantly forgot to think about aspiration for the following session and we keep forgetting about conditions.

Now though, we dropped the whole aspiration mechanic (they are too passive for it, they want me to throw plot at them not think it themselves) so i give 2 beats per session, +1 if something personally related happened to them, +1 every time they transform a Failure in a Dramatic one (which one of the players do a lot) and +1 for each Exceptional success on a hunt which the Full moon with 8s again do a lot. So right now we reached a maximum of 20 beats in 1 session.

However there are so many things to spend XP in that even when those burst happens they dont get OP.

Comment

It likely various between Splats, they can have unique ways of generating beats.

Still conditions, dramatic failures, are the most consistent sources of beats across game lines.

Comment

Working...
                      X