Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Minor Template] No More Sleep

The Sleepless

No one's ever died from a lack of sleep, you know.

You remember sleep. It was nice, back in those days - you'd get your 8 hours a night, and you'd feel nice and refreshed in the morning. Nowadays... you sometimes go weeks without sleep, stealing the rest from people around you. Because sleep is a precious commodity, and you've burned through your supply. Lucky you.

The Sleepless possess the following traits:

Eternal Insomniac
    You suffer from the Insomnia condition, as your dreams and mind are lost through the cracks - if you manage to resolve this condition somehow, you regain it the next time you wake up. More importantly, your curse overwhelms any mundane attempts to help you sleep, and any supernatural sleep aids suffer a penalty equal to the amount of Sand you currently possess.

A Heart Of Sand
    As one of the Sleepless, you possess a pool of Sand - a metaphysical representation of your need for (and inability to obtain) sleep. Unlike most other pools, you do not have a definite limit on how much Sand you can hold - instead, each point reduces either your Resolve or Composure by 1 dot, whichever is higher. Spending Sand returns lost dots of Resolve or Composure immediately - however, you do not immediately gain any Willpower as your Willpower dots increase. If your Resolve or Composure would drop to 0, you resolve the Insomnia condition and immediately fall asleep until all of your Sand is lost.
    You gain one point of Sand whenever you fail a roll called for by your Insomnia.

Stealing Sleep
    Whenever another character within the same scene as you spends Willpower, you feel it as a slight change in the tenor of your persistent, exhausted ache. Mechanically, you possess a version of the Unseen Senses merit that allows you to sense people spending Willpower. If you pinpoint the character who spent Willpower, you may spend a point of Sand to pass some of that ache to them - if you do so, the point of Willpower they spent has no effect, and they cannot spend any additional Willpower this turn.

Merciful Sandman
    Whenever you do manage to regain Willpower from rest, you may spend a point of Sand to regain an additional point of Willpower. If you somehow manage to sleep for more than 8 hours, you regain one Willpower for every full eight hours you've slept, and you may spend a point of Sand for each Willpower you would gain.

The Sleepless start with the above traits, 10 merit dots, and two points of Sand.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

So good bye, good luck, and have a nice day.

Reserved for merits.

Man, it's been a while since I've made one of these. Stealing Sleep is... a bit more impressive than it looks.

Someone spends Willpower to boost an attack against you? You cancel it.
    Someone spends Willpower to use a supernatural merit? You cancel it.
    Someone has Beaten Down and tries to attack you? You cancel the Willpower they spent, and they can't.

It's once per Scene by default, but that's what one of the merits I'm planning is for. It'll be harsh, is what I'm saying.

I have decided, after some thought, that I don't really feel happy on these forums. I might decide to come back to post. Who knows - but right now, I'm gone.

Comment

Hmm. Might they be able to outright send someone to sleep (giving them Sand)? Shape dreams?

How might this affect Integrity?

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
      Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

Those are the kinds of things that the merits will do.

And Integrity? Your Resolve and Composure are going to be really low, so you'll fail Breaking Point rolls quite often.

Comment

So, starting with ten dots of merits on top of the initial 7?

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

interesting idea

Comment

Originally posted by Master Aquatosic View Post
              So, starting with ten dots of merits on top of the initial 7?
              Instead of - it's the standard "this is a template" package.

I should have the first merit up soon - I just got in from work, 11-1/2 hours after I left my room. It's been a long day, and I need to do laundry.

Comment

Originally posted by amechra View Post

Instead of - it's the standard "this is a template" package.

I should have the first merit up soon - I just got in from work, 11-1/2 hours after I left my room. It's been a long day, and I need to do laundry.
                SO THAT'S THE REASON FOR THE MISMATCH! it's a template thing!

A god is just a monster you kneel to. - ArcaneArts, Quoting "Fall of Gods"

Comment

Working...
                X