American Gods as CofD chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RE: Gods Among Us

I have toyed with this basic idea a few times across a few different systems, well before I read American Gods. For adapting the idea to the WoD system, there are a few considerations -

1) Attempting to wedge the concept into an existing cosmology is difficult at best. We can make the idea work from just about any angle, but I like the approach that the Gods are essentially Astral Pangeans - they are concepts given identity by human belief, but ultimately take on their own identity. They would have an ability called "Incarnation" - this would operate like the Materialize Manifestation and the Mortal Mask Numina, but would have an indefinate duration in exchange for more limited power.

2) Is this something a Players can use? As a Storyteller, its easy for me to create a approximation of a Incarnated God (I use the Horror Rules, but the Ephemeral rules or any other sub system could be suitable). But if a player wanted to use this as a character, it would require some extensive home brewing. Not every creature type presented in the various books are intended for (or balanced) for player use and letting someone play a horror or ephemeral could cause many disruptive mechanical issues.

I personally recommend the homebrew route - it requires the most work, but it can get closer to the design idea of embodying a God thing trying to retro fit an existing splat to the task.

The Artificer's Workshop - A collection of Exalted Artifacts
    Curios, Relics, and Tomes - A collection of Relics (Cursed and Otherwise)
    The Horror Lab - A collection of Beasts, Monsters and less definable things.
    Strange Places - A collection of Dark, Mysterious, and Wondrous Locations
    Twilight Menagerie - A collection of Ephemeral Entities

Comment

So it seems that Anansi is possible to look fffffaaaarrr in to future and very likes sacrifices in his name. I still thinks that level of sacrifices Gods demands is on Shadow Realm Spirit Gods kinda thing,

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
      LGBT+ through Ages
      LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Interesting Topic - If we run with Gods as SuperGoetia of Temenos / Bright Dream - What stars they would have common with Beasts? I suppose Life & Legend and Nightmares could work. What's more?

My stuff for Realms of Pugmire, Scion 2E, CoD Contagion, Dark Eras, VtR 2E, WtF 2E, MtAw 2E, MtC 2E & BtP
        LGBT+ through Ages
        LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
          Interesting Topic - If we run with Gods as SuperGoetia of Temenos / Bright Dream - What stars they would have common with Beasts? I suppose Life & Legend and Nightmares could work. What's more?
          Life & Legend sound good, but I don't think Nightmares would suit every god. However, the abilities of gods are usually portrayed as being distinct from spells and always active, so to speak. This makes me think their main powers would be like Atavisms, but maybe powered by faith instead of fear?

"I hope you will have a long and happy life, if only so you can realize how stupid and wrong you are."

Comment

Originally posted by wyrdhamster View Post
            We can steal from the Fate series and define two sets of Noble Phan- er, I mean, powers. The Atavism equivalent would be based on physical qualities or legendary items, and the Nightmare equivalent based on evoking the gods' lore and exploits. Relics and Miracles sound nice.

MtAw Homebrew:
            Even more Legacies, updated to 2E
            New 2E Legacies, expanded

Comment

There is nice clip summing up concept of Gods in this series

LGBT+ through Ages
              LGBT+ in CoD games

Comment

Working...
              X