Dark Eras Companion for sale!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Eras Companion for sale!

Join us a trip through time! The Companion is now here for everyone! I also note that Dark Eras now has its own tab in OPP's DTRPG page.

Discuss.

CofD booklists:
    Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

I'm unsure if I want this book honestly. I'll Buck the trend and say in general I was unhappy with Dark Eras, it was released before all the core books we're 2e and so it was a mix of 1e, 2e, and quasi 2e and ended up a huge mechanical mess. Even the London Chapter which was the one chapter I was really happy with is now reduced to rubble because Changeling 2e has been rewritten!

This is also why I won't touch mortal remains. You learn to walk before you run.

So I'm very leery for risk of being burned again.

On the other hand if it has 2e rules for Immortals it's likely to be the only immortals rules update and it shouldn't be in conflict with future rules as such.

So I guess I need to know if the Immortal rules are 2e?

Comment

Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post
      I'm unsure if I want this book honestly. I'll Buck the trend and say in general I was unhappy with Dark Eras, it was released before all the core books we're 2e and so it was a mix of 1e, 2e, and quasi 2e and ended up a huge mechanical mess. Even the London Chapter which was the one chapter I was really happy with is now reduced to rubble because Changeling 2e has been rewritten!

This is also why I won't touch mortal remains. You learn to walk before you run.

On the other hand if it has 2e rules for Immortals it's likely to be the only immortals rules update and it shouldn't be in conflict with future rules as such.

That's a shame - I really enjoyed the first book and Tales of Dark Eras. Even though some mechanical aspects like Changeling may have changed - the lore concept and environment I doubt will change such as the London chapter, and that I doubt the 2E mechanics within the Dark Eras will be changed. I wish you look in your decision, and I do get where you are coming from.

With that said - I really wish that instead of having to wait for an Official 2E launch for all the templates, there was a brief like 30 - 40 page 2E pamphlet for splats that are going to take some time such as Sin-Eaters & Mummies. While I know there are homebrew attempts; an official update while even if minor for like 9.99$ would be nice - I know that things change in development but I assume since Mummy & Sin Eater is so far away; it would be nice to have a stable usable supplement meanwhile.

Edit: Taking a look at the book - I think the Immortal rules are for 2E for the Body Thieves & Blood Bathers - with that said though the section seems to only be about 8 pages? (Pg 44 - 50). I hope this helps influence your decision.
      Last edited by Volke; 05-03-2017, 07:43 PM. Reason: Immortals

Comment

Originally posted by Volke View Post

That's a shame - I really enjoyed the first book and Tales of Dark Eras. Even though some mechanical aspects like Changeling may have changed - the lore concept and environment I doubt will change such as the London chapter, and that I doubt the 2E mechanics within the Dark Eras will be changed. I wish you look in your decision, and I do get where you are coming from.

With that said - I really wish that instead of having to wait for an Official 2E launch for all the templates, there was a brief like 30 - 40 page 2E pamphlet for splats that are going to take some time such as Sin-Eaters & Mummies. While I know there are homebrew attempts; an official update while even if minor for like 9.99$ would be nice - I know that things change in development but I assume since Mummy & Sin Eater is so far away; it would be nice to have a stable usable supplement meanwhile.
        What use would that pamphlet be if in the development process say Geist got heavily modified from what's in the pamphlet?

As for London, we know that approaches aren't a thing anymore it was based on David Hill's version of Changeling 2e, not Rose and Meghan's 2e Changeling, so it's already toast now.

And with the mechanics a mess (except for the 1e mechanics, which I have no interest in), what good is the lore?

So really the only part that really interests me now for the first Dark Eras is the Neolithic Mate/Werewolf and the Skin Changers/Demon Aztecs.

I think I'll pass this time, at least till the Chapter with the Immortals is published separately.

Comment

What use would that pamphlet be if in the development process say Geist got heavily modified from what's in the pamphlet?

As for London, we know that approaches aren't a thing anymore it was based on David Hill's version of Changeling 2e, not Rose and Meghan's 2e Changeling, so it's already toast now.

And with the mechanics a mess (except for the 1e mechanics, which I have no interest in), what good is the lore?

So really the only part that really interests me now for the first Dark Eras is the Neolithic Mate/Werewolf and the Skin Changers/Demon Aztecs.

I think I'll pass this time, at least till the Chapter with the Immortals is published separately.

I just think it would assist storytellers in the meanwhile (Crossover 2E require decent homebrew for the splats ) - I don't see either Geist or Mummy getting published in completion for quite sometime . I understand your POV, though.

Comment

I'm sorry I just not willing to pay for none functional mechanics. I don't think that makes me a dick, I understand people wanted Dark Eras ASAP, but it was premature IMO.

Comment

This is why they're working on selling the eras individually. If you are only interested in Vampire you don't need to buy two entire books for one and a half eras.

Comment

I believe its been said that you're largely good on the Elizabethan Chapter. The Grimm Chapter is the one that'll probably take the biggest hit in the rewrite.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post

I believe its been said that you're largely good on the Elizabethan Chapter. The Grimm Chapter is the one that'll probably take the biggest hit in the rewrite.
                  Was, it worked no problem with David Hill's Changeling, but things were heavily changed, it's in a sense Changeling 2.5 now, so for example Approaches aren't thing anymore so it's at least partially obsolete now.

Comment

I just want to clarify that I'm not bashing Rose and Maghan's version, Goblin Queens, Hedge Ghosts, and Using Horror rules for hobgoblins is very cool for example, just that the changes will likely cause mechanical issues.

Unless I've misunderstood something.

Comment

Maybe before you start claiming things are "reduced to rubble," you wait until the book's been released and you can make an informed judgment?

Matthew McFarland
                      Writer, developer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
                        This is why they're working on selling the eras individually. If you are only interested in Vampire you don't need to buy two entire books for one and a half eras.

Have the Vampire specific chapters actually been made available separately? I see Demon, Werewolf, Promethean, and Mage chapters on DriveThruRPG, but Vampire ones--not so much...

Comment

I did say 'working on.' All the chapters look like they're going to be made available for individual sale. They haven't announced any special exception for Vampire and it seems like a silly thing to do.

Comment

They'll come eventually. I'll make sure I post links to them once they are out.

CofD booklists:
                            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

I really hope the book is popular. Not really in a position currently to buy a copy and been dying to hear about the Mummy related chapters.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

Comment

Working...
                              X