The Void Movie - Mortals encounter with Abyss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Void Movie - Mortals encounter with Abyss

Just see the trailer ( and then the movie )

Conquest of Paradise - Fan Dark Era about Portugal and Spain conquests in XVI century - Mage & Beast ( & Hunter )
    My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
    MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events

Really think it could be a lot of things other than Abyssal.
    It's just about deathless. Mummy's about that. Vampire and Tremere and Immortals and on and on.
    Last edited by nofather; 05-14-2017, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I still think this movie is humans who are caught in a god-machine operation.

Comment

Considering what the monsters turn out to be I'd say
        it's a sorcerer-cult that somehow managed to produce Lifeless, and may or may not be connected to the demons of Duat.

I do see the case for them being Abyssal, but then again so can be said for a hell lot of things.

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

The movie is pretty much a tribute, in theme, situation and looks, to John Carpenter's "Apocalypse Trilogy". That is, "The Thing", "Prince of Darkness" and "In The Mouth Of Madness", which in turn means the horrors are of clear Lovecraftian inspiration.

Whatever that means in translating it to the CoD, I guess it's up to you. I do like the Abyssal route, especially if you want to see the antagonist as

a mage whose sanity fails and that embraces the idea that placing Abyssal spirits into bodies is a way to defy death

but there are elements that can give reasons to run it as other gamelines, like Demon (because it indeeds can look like a fucked up GM's operation), Mummy (which has all the tools to play with cults and screwing up with life and death), Promethean and maybe even Deviant.

Some concepts and tropes also closely resemble

Stephen King's Revival

which gets to Lovecraft through Machen's Great God Pan and Shelley's Frankenstein, meaning things do indeed point that way. It's a book I really enjoyed, if you liked the Void I suggest it wholeheartedly. While I'm 100% certain John Carpenter's work is the main inspiration for the movie, I do believe the DNA of King's book is in there as well.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
          Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
            Whatever that means in translating it to the CoD, I guess it's up to you. I do like the Abyssal route, especially if you want to see the antagonist as

a mage whose sanity fails and that embraces the idea that placing Abyssal spirits into bodies is a way to defy death
            I'm pretty sure there was a Legacy that did something almost like this.

I'm so gonna use this video as inspiration when I get to 2e-translate that one.

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post

I'm pretty sure there was a Legacy that did something almost like this.

I'm so gonna use this video as inspiration when I get to 2e-translate that one.
              The one that comes to my mind is The Legion, from Summoners, though I might be mistaken. They replaced part of their bodies with Abyssal spirits and had some body horror going on.

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub
              Currently writing: "Dark Era: The Forest That Weeps".

Hopes to write about monsters, shapeshifters and soulless abominations someday. If you have criticism that can help me improve, I'm always here

Comment

Originally posted by Cinder View Post
                The one that comes to my mind is The Legion, from Summoners, though I might be mistaken. They replaced part of their bodies with Abyssal spirits and had some body horror going on.
                Yes, that's the one.

Comment

Working...
                X