Damage dealt by lava?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damage dealt by lava?

How much damage would you make lava do each turn?

Well, molten metal is a listed example for a maximum Heat fire. I'd put magma in the same Heat category, so that's 3 lethal damage plus the magma's Size per turn.

Going by Willow now, or Wil for short. She/Her/Hers.

Comment

Blood & Smoke has entries for Sizes and Heats of Fire. A Torch does 1, a Bonfire does 2, an Inferno 3. Submerged or otherwise surrounded by lava would count as an Inferno, as lava is hot and the heat goes everywhere. And the heat of molten metal applies a +3 to damage. So 6 Lethal damage per turn. Vampires take aggravated, of course. Standing around a lot of lava should probably give you a debilitating tilt.

Comment

Some none mechanical thoughts that can be good to know. The color of the heat is the temperature, so red glowing lava, red gloving molten iron, and red gloving charcoal are all the same temperature. The reason it is possible to walk on a bed of burning charcoal, but not lava or or iron, is because it actually isn't a lot of contact with the hot burning parts (low actual energy transfer).

Red glowing lava (800 degrees Celsius/1500 degrees Fahrenheit) would do a lot of damage because it works like a liquid, so there would be a lot of heat transfer per area it covers. So unless dealing with those with "godlike powers", it probably wouldn't matter if it is yellow glowing lava or red gloving lava.

Comment

I keep finding this as the ultimate authority on lava-based questions: http://www.scratchfactory.com/Resour.../LavaRules.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by nofather View Post
            Blood & Smoke has entries for Sizes and Heats of Fire. A Torch does 1, a Bonfire does 2, an Inferno 3. Submerged or otherwise surrounded by lava would count as an Inferno, as lava is hot and the heat goes everywhere. And the heat of molten metal applies a +3 to damage. So 6 Lethal damage per turn. Vampires take aggravated, of course. Standing around a lot of lava should probably give you a debilitating tilt.
            Literally 'On Fire'.

Comment

Inferno size and Inferno tilt! I would add the damage from that as well.

Comment

Also keep in mind that you can be burned by being near lava.

Cavaliers of Mars Creator
                Retired CofD Lead

Check out my guides to Vampire and my indie games!

Comment

Lava also sticks, so if you get fully submerged but manage to get out, it's still on you and burning. Almost nothing is going to survive that.

Comment

Originally posted by Heroofthemists View Post
                    Lava also sticks, so if you get fully submerged but manage to get out, it's still on you and burning. Almost nothing is going to survive that.
                    I was actually asking because I plan on having a creature that effectively has a natural armor rating that negates damage from sources such as heat, fire and lava. It will have a high enough rating to be able to survive lava just fine, the reason I'm bothering to put a rating on it is because it isn't completely immune, so if something hotter than lava shows up it could still take damage.
                    Last edited by Enderdragon1201; 06-09-2017, 08:56 PM. Reason: Mispelled "heat" as "hear".

Comment

Do you have damage ratings on whatever it is that could be hotter? If not, don't bother to estimate the exact damage rating of lava. Just estimate how much more damage this other thing deal than lava.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                      Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                      Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

Originally posted by Tessie View Post
                        Do you have damage ratings on whatever it is that could be hotter? If not, don't bother to estimate the exact damage rating of lava. Just estimate how much more damage this other thing deal than lava.
                        Actually I do. I'm planning on making an android npc that uses supernatural fuel to generate fire hotter than lava, and it's going to act as an attack.

Comment

Considering that lava would deal 5-6 lethal per turn (depending on full or partial contact) I wouldn't increase the damage any more because you're already looking at a near instant kill weapon on anything that's not massively fire resistant. What you can do instead is give it an armor piercing rating. There are stats for thermite in Hurt Locker, it doesn't deal any more damage per turn than lava but it ignores more armor than most characters will ever have, so there's no soaking it the way some supernats can with regular fire damage.

Comment

Funnily enough, vampires would be one type of creature that can be able to soak most of that damage despite having fire as a bane.

Bloodline: The Stygians
                            Ordo Dracul Mysteries: Mystery of Smoke, Revised Mystery of Živa
                            Mage The Awakening: Spell Quick Reference (single page and landscape for computer screens)

Comment

The Gangrel book has Cherufe, an old and low Humanity vampire who lives in a volcano with all the heat and demands four virgin sacrifices a year. If he doesn't get them, it's strongly implied he somehow causes volcanic activity.

Comment

Working...
                              X