Dark Eras 2 Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I don't care if Changeling is the obvious choice for 1,001 nights, it will help flush out and enhance the Toronto Court and expand on it's history, so I 100% support expanding 1,001 nights to include Changeling.
    Toronto's Scheherazade Court is it's own thing though? The history of changelings in the Islamic Golden Age isn't going to reflect much on the history and mechanics of Toronto in anything more than the sort of stuff you'd get from this era regardless of what gameline is tied to it. Hell, the original freehold that was imported into Toronto before it was adjusted is itself divorced from the era in all but the story, because the changelings who brought it over lived in a different context from the era.

More on point, if you're reducing the Islamic Golden Age to 1,001 Nights, you are missing the brilliance of the era. Beasts let us walk somewhat in the popular subject, sure, but Vampires and Beasts rips our eyes away from that subject and let us really look at the rest of the time period-which is good, because the Islamic Golden Age is chock full of awesome.

It would be a waste if the era was more about Scheherazade than, say, Nasir al-Din al-Tusi.

PS: Also we have no idea how Toronto is going to look in 2nd Edition, so.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
    Work Blog Coming Soon
    The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
      Toronto's Scheherazade Court is it's own thing though? The history of changelings in the Islamic Golden Age isn't going to reflect much on the history and mechanics of Toronto in anything more than the sort of stuff you'd get from this era regardless of what gameline is tied to it. Hell, the original freehold that was imported into Toronto before it was adjusted is itself divorced from the era in all but the story, because the changelings who brought it over lived in a different context from the era.

More on point, if you're reducing the Islamic Golden Age to 1,001 Nights, you are missing the brilliance of the era. Beasts let us walk somewhat in the popular subject, sure, but Vampires and Beasts rips our eyes away from that subject and let us really look at the rest of the time period-which is good, because the Islamic Golden Age is chock full of awesome.

It would be a waste if the era was more about Scheherazade than, say, Nasir al-Din al-Tusi.

PS: Also we have no idea how Toronto is going to look in 2nd Edition, so.
      I didn't suggest you couldn't explore the wider situation during the Islamic Golden Age, they likely will, and I do understand that alot has changed since that time, BUT it goes right to the present, so exploring the origins of the Court back in the Islamic Golden Age, including any effect of the political cultural upon it, then flashing forward to the current present state and how its evovled and moved ahead could be interesting.

Plus Iran would be a place were the True Fae run free , since the fall of the Shah, peehaps throughout most of the middle east, and that could be explored as well, perhaps it has its roots way back during the Islamic Golden Era which eventually lead later on to the rise in influence and power of the True Fae in the region.
      Last edited by Omegaphallic; 07-14-2017, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• Hey, sudden question: When exactly is the One Thousand and One Nights Era set? I just went back to look and confirm something and ended up spotting an error: The banner for it says 750 B.C.E. (which would include a Pre-Islamic Era) and the text beneath says 750 C.E. (which is the time period commonly agreed upon for the Golden Age).

Gonna tag Rose Bailey so this can be corrected, if it hasn't been brought up already.

Comment

• Originally posted by Omegaphallic View Post

I didn't suggest you can explore the wider situation during the Islamic Golden Age, and I do understand that alot has changed since that time, BUT it goes right to the present, so exploring the origins of the Court back in the Islamic Golden Age, including any effect of the political cultural upon it, then flashing forward to the current present state and how its evovled and moved ahead could be interesting.

Plus Iran would be a place were the True Fae run free , since the fall of the Shah, peehaps throughout most of the middle east, and that could be explored as well, perhaps it has its roots way back during the Islamic Golden Era which eventually lead later on to the rise in influence and power of the True Fae in the region.
          We're gonna run around in circles on this one. You want it, I don't. Let's put this on the wayside.

Sean K.I.W. Steele, Freelance Writer
          Work Blog Coming Soon
          The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.-Keiichi Sigsawa, Kino's Journey

Comment

• Originally posted by Axelgear View Post
            Hey, sudden question: When exactly is the One Thousand and One Nights Era set? I just went back to look and confirm something and ended up spotting an error: The banner for it says 750 B.C.E. (which would include a Pre-Islamic Era) and the text beneath says 750 C.E. (which is the time period commonly agreed upon for the Golden Age).

Gonna tag Rose Bailey so this can be corrected, if it hasn't been brought up already.
            750 CE to present. The original text was 750 BCE to present, which was a typo. The graphic likely hasn't been updated because it is more difficult than the text to change. Also, Meghan Fitzgerald can probably tell you more than Rose, since she is that Era's developer.

Hopefully not jinxing it, but the new polls seems to be going much smoother than the last one. 471 votes in total, Geist at 28%, Mage at 24%, Changeling at 14%, Werewolf at 9%, and Hunter at 7%.

CofD booklists:
            Beast I Changeling | Geist l Hunter l Mage | Mummy | Promethean | Vampire

Comment

• Duly noted, thank you. My previous post can be discarded, then.

I'd still like a Pre-Islamic Arabian Nights setting for Changelings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
                We're gonna run around in circles on this one. You want it, I don't. Let's put this on the wayside.
                Fair enough.

Comment

• I've got mixed feelings on whether I want Mage or Changeling to win. On the one hand, the time and location is an important one in Mage history. On the other hand, the Era is great for Changlings from a thematic standpoint. Many pirates were escaped slaves, endentured servants, and people who had been press-ganged. Also famous pirates like Blackbeard, Black Bart, and Calico Jack are not just historical figures, they are folk heroes. All of that seems very Changeling to me.

Comment

• You can want them both to win, though it doesn't look like anyone's letting go of the Geist stranglehold.

Comment

• Originally posted by nofather View Post
                      You can want them both to win, though it doesn't look like anyone's letting go of the Geist stranglehold.
                      I want Geist for sure, I was talking about winning second place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xenorath View Post

I want Geist for sure, I was talking about winning second place.
                        Backer addition = best case scenario.

Malkydel: "And the Machine dictated; let there be adequate illumination."
                        Yossarian: "And lo, it was optimal."

Comment

• Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Did you vote originally on a mobile device or a computer? If my guess about what they did to the poll is right (and it may not be) you may only be able to see the results if you voted with a laptop or desktop.
                          I voted on my desktop and can't see the results. It might have something to do with my anti-tracker addon, though.

Bloodline: The Stygians

Comment

• We are now at $42,132 and diabolic number of 666 backers at Kickstarter. So with circa 500$ per day backing, I suspect we will have Pirate Era funded around Friday.

As we are about Pirate - Poll now has 775 votes, with Geist and Mage having 23% votes, Geist slightly winning. Changeling has 20%, but interesting is Werewolf with 15% - there is possibility for sequel Wolf & Raven 2: Pirate Times?

My Hubs - MtAw 2E Legacies and System Hacks & WtF 2E Lodges and System Hacks
                            MtAw 2E - History of Awakened - (almost) canonical game timeline of events
                            WtF 2E - Alternative werewolves myths from around the world

Comment

• So, I'm currently staying at a hostel in France whose WiFi firewall blocks Kickstarter for some reason (as well as, probably by accident, a number of websites for LBGT travelers. . .). How many days does the campaign have left? I'd like to donate, perhaps even at the Create an Era level, if any remain.

Comment

• Currently, 18 days to go on the campaign. Ends on August 5th.

Comment

Working...
                                X