X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second Chances
    started a topic Dark Eras 2 Discussion Thread

Dark Eras 2 Discussion Thread

As of today's Meeting Notes, Dark Eras 2 is the next Kickstarter coming down the hatch. Perhaps surprising, but certainly not unwelcome. We are now solidly out of the phase wishing this would happen in the indeterminante future, to it is happen in a couple of months. Let the rampant speculation begin!

• Eric Zawadzki
    replied
    Originally posted by espritdecalmar View Post
    Somehow, I forgot to finish reading Fear and the Golden Promise of Tomorrow. A lot of neat stuff here, though I am unsure what exactly the Platonic Body Variation is. It doesn't show up anywhere else in the book outside a handful of references to the power in this chapter, and the word "Platonic" occurs a total of 0 times in the Deviant core manuscript. A future teaser of the Clades Companion, perhaps?
    A Variation that got renamed to Rapid Healing, actually. In an early draft, it was a Coactive Variation, the idea being that you had a perfect and inviolable body that constantly worked toward restoring its own perfection. As the thematic elements of each Clade's Variations gelled, a few of them got moved around, and Platonic Body ended up as a Mutant Variation. The "camera shutter" opened at that moment, and the final drafts of Dark Eras 2 got turned in. Then, reviewing the names, Platonic Body didn't sound much like a Mutant Variation, so I renamed it more descriptively as Rapid Healing. By the time of the Deviant Kickstarter, the name change was complete, but Dark Eras 2 hadn't been placed in my hands again, yet, so it still had the old Variation name. It has since been corrected.

The other mysterious Variation in Dark Eras 2 is Natural Weapon, which was originally the Brawl/Weaponry attack power. Because it and Lash were very long and had about 80% overlap, I ended up folding Natural Weapon into Lash, but a sample character in Light of the Sun had Natural Weapon at the time Dark Eras 2 went into editing. Also, the trick of "naming" each Lash effect for easy reference in a stat block didn't exist at the time, so you might notice their absence (or that the numbers don't quite line up, in places where small mechanical adjustments were made to Lash after DE2 finals were turned in). All that was corrected, too.

Leave a comment:

• espritdecalmar
    replied
    Somehow, I forgot to finish reading Fear and the Golden Promise of Tomorrow. A lot of neat stuff here, though I am unsure what exactly the Platonic Body Variation is. It doesn't show up anywhere else in the book outside a handful of references to the power in this chapter, and the word "Platonic" occurs a total of 0 times in the Deviant core manuscript. A future teaser of the Clades Companion, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• Kevään Neito
    replied
    I miiiight wanna get the pdf and I'm feeling poor already.

Leave a comment:

• Gryphon's Feather
    replied
    Originally posted by White Oak Dragon View Post

There’s still time to preorder it through the KS page’s link to backerkit, if that’s something you are interested in doing.
    I did, and I'm glad I could.

The Marshals have amazing implications, and I want more hybrid Y-splats someday.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    *checks dates*
    *looks up*

Well my ears are red.
    XD

All good.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Originally posted by Second Chances View Post

Timeframe. Only place he would have fit was the timeline because everything else’s was tightly focused on 832, a solid four centuries before he was alive. And I had to trim that timeline several times to keep it reasonable. If/when I get a chance to flesh out the Nizari State and/or the Mongol invasions, he’ll get some mentions.
    *checks dates*
    *looks up*

Well my ears are red.

Leave a comment:

• Second Chances
    replied
    Originally posted by ArcaneArts View Post
    Hey Second Chances , Good job with Thousand and One Nightmares, but I have a big question for you:

Why no Nasir al-Din Tusi? Like, I get the splat choice has it's limits, the Thousand and One Nights needs to be a major played theme, and the sheer amount of scientific and mathematic advancements in the Islamic golden age is A LOT, but still, No direct mention of my man Tusi? That's a missed opportunity right there.
    Timeframe. Only place he would have fit was the timeline because everything else’s was tightly focused on 832, a solid four centuries before he was alive. And I had to trim that timeline several times to keep it reasonable. If/when I get a chance to flesh out the Nizari State and/or the Mongol invasions, he’ll get some mentions.

Leave a comment:

• ArcaneArts
    replied
    Hey Second Chances , Good job with Thousand and One Nightmares, but I have a big question for you:

Why no Nasir al-Din Tusi? Like, I get the splat choice has it's limits, the Thousand and One Nights needs to be a major played theme, and the sheer amount of scientific and mathematic advancements in the Islamic golden age is A LOT, but still, No direct mention of my man Tusi? That's a missed opportunity right there.
    Last edited by ArcaneArts; 02-07-2020, 09:30 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Meghan Fitzgerald
    replied
    Originally posted by ForgeEternal View Post
    Meghan Fitzgerald Thanks for the quick answer! Any chance of seeing the remaining attainments in another book at some point?
    It's possible! I can make no promises but I would like to explore options to get more full Legacies written up somewhere, sometime.

Leave a comment:

• White Oak Dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by Gryphon's Feather View Post
    If I had known about the werecrocs I would have backed this. Now I have to regret it.
    There’s still time to preorder it through the KS page’s link to backerkit, if that’s something you are interested in doing.

Leave a comment:

• Gryphon's Feather
    replied
    If I had known about the werecrocs I would have backed this. Now I have to regret it.

Leave a comment:

• nofather
    replied
    Originally posted by Octavo View Post
    That ancient Kemet Era with Werewolves involved in Death Wolf's war with his own rank 7 shade over the remains of a rotting Pangean is amazing. Just cannot get over how absolutely metal that whole section was.
    There's more in WW1.

Leave a comment:

• Octavo
    replied
    That ancient Kemet Era with Werewolves involved in Death Wolf's war with his own rank 7 shade over the remains of a rotting Pangean is amazing. Just cannot get over how absolutely metal that whole section was.

As a Mage fan, the Golden Age of Piracy section was everything I wanted. Just oozing with disturbing Mysteries and some of the best Order-related plot hooks in any Mage book. The Geist stuff just fit in so well, with Maroons practicing Obeah and Davy Jones as a Reaper. Loved all of it.

Leave a comment:

• White Oak Dragon
    replied
    Originally posted by LostLight View Post
    Like, not problematic, just kind of thing that modern Hebrew native speakers would find funny.

Like, sure Zain is the seventh letter in the hebrew alphabet. It is also the archaic name for a weapon, which makes a lot of sense for an angel. Due to that connotation to a weapon, it is also used in modern hebrew as a slang word for male genitalia.

I mean, again, in the said Era it makes sense, and its meaning as a weapon fits an angel- but the slang term is so deeply rooted in modern hebrew that native speakers probably can't not say "really?" when they look at it :P
    Ah, okay. Thank you for telling me. I was worried I’d been offensive with it. Unintentionally hilarious is something I can deal with.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X